Orion the Above Average

Black Marsh Inspirations

I found some good pics online and noticed there was nowhere for me to post them to help. 

http://scoobydoo.cgsociety.org/art/sci-fi-photoshop-alien-creature-desert-planet-reptile-character-concept-art-inhabitants-2d-1215658

I saw these and felt they were perfect for some Argonian fashion designs.

• reaction_title_1 2

Keeping this post in hear because these sketches are more inspirational than they are production designs but I thought I'd start dabbling in the more aquatic type Argonians that would inhabit the land. Realy felt like some hardcore amphibious designs were overlooked in the vanilla so hoping to get something like this in at some point.

aquasketch.jpg

aquaconcepts.jpg

• reaction_title_1 9

Amazing work gr1ndh0use! These are gorgeous!

The only critique I really have is to remember that we're trying to lean towards physical androgyny to help push the theme of gender fluidity and general sexual weirdness amongst the Argonian populace. Either way though, I still have to pick my jaw off the floor.

• reaction_title_1 2

Hi, putting this here because I dunno where to put it. I'm meant to be a writer, but I'm not really a lore buff so I can't really do much until we have a base from which I can do stuff, so I thought I'd do some concept art and all that shit. I liked art at school and all that, but bear in mind that I'm not an artist or anything so they're not very good, and they're just sketches that I took photos of on my phone, so they're not great quality either, but here goes.

Tribal_warrior.thumb.jpg.2437a25d0f4d543 

This one was how I pictured a more tribal warrior, yet not a deep jungle savage. I liked the idea of a palaeolithic style axe for some reason, and kind of pictured a shield made of bark. As far as game mechanics would go, some trees could have activation things like ore deposits, that you 'mined' with a woodcutters axe or something, I dunno. Also I misjudged the proportions so had to prop up the axe on something. (please ignore the totally fucked proportions- hey, they're argonians, they might be different...)

Less_tribal_warrior.thumb.JPG.4b757bf6a2

This was how I thought a less tribal, more ceremonial guy would look. I based it on an aztec padded shirt, and added some appropriate looking stuff like a big metal shoulder ring (?) and some paldrons. 

Axe.thumb.JPG.54ee9a7331fdb7d6d08e10df37

Imperial_Sword.thumb.JPG.09530d4a7b77fde

Just some weapons I guess, a very standard knapped axe, and a sort of sword. I liked the idea of reusing a broken Imperial sword, so I figured a simple way to do that without the blacksmith that you'd need would be to embed the blade in a tree branch. It would be a simple way to get a basic blade to fill the iron sword sort of role, and keep with the jungle/tribal vibe.

Let me know if this is the sort of stuff we are looking for right now, because really I haven't made any contribution yet but I'd love to get involved in some way.

• reaction_title_1 4

bear in mind that I'm not an artist...

Lies!

so they're not very good

More Lies!

These are really nice mate, you should do more :)

I think we were talking about unique wood/materials for some Argonian weapons so the “mining” new materials from trees is a great idea and could help flesh out the biome plans?

ssad.thumb.jpg.eab995d2642ac12188d89d58dmayan_warrior__heavy_armor_by_aopaul-d8i2.thumb.jpg.5029f1c2b34f8750a6702eb6c25fmayan-warrior-final.thumb.jpg.3e3148d375mayan-warrior-wireframes.thumb.jpg.5779fmayan-warrior-sculpt.thumb.jpg.6dc153e1fmayan-warrior-textures.thumb.jpg.c496537Dear colleagues of the Blackmarsh team!
this is Hannes821 from "Expedtion to Atmora" and i stumbled upon your cool website.

my personal idea would be to make the argonians a bit lorewise like atztec warriors,
with slingshots, spears, cleavers, and priest magic...

i didnt take the time to hand-draw, so you cannot use this as public material due to copyright;
but i hope to give you some inspiration

Edited by Hannes821

I've always hated the South American style to the argonians. It's very uncharacteristic for the argonians. It feels like Bethesda copy and pasted an aesthetic they felt would best fit them. Same with the Native American naming convention. I get why it was done that way. The majority of players won't really care, and it's a lot of time and effort.

It still just bothers me.

• reaction_title_1 1

I've always hated the South American style to the argonians. It's very uncharacteristic for the argonians. It feels like Bethesda copy and pasted an aesthetic they felt would best fit them. Same with the Native American naming convention. I get why it was done that way. The majority of players won't really care, and it's a lot of time and effort.

It still just bothers me.

We are trying to follow Bethesda/ZeniMax to an extent, so yes, there will definitely be a lot of mesoamerican influence in the design of Argonian aesthetics and culture. However, there are plenty of other sources we're looking at too: Polynesian, Indonesian, Indochinese, (Especially the Shang Dynasty) and Jomon-period Japanese aesthetics will all be infulences. And of course, at the end of the day we're trying to create a culture distinct and unique to itself.

• reaction_title_1 1

We are trying to follow Bethesda/ZeniMax to an extent, so yes, there will definitely be a lot of mesoamerican influence in the design of Argonian aesthetics and culture. However, there are plenty of other sources we're looking at too: Polynesian, Indonesian, Indochinese, (Especially the Shang Dynasty) and Jomon-period Japanese aesthetics will all be infulences. And of course, at the end of the day we're trying to create a culture distinct and unique to itself.

I believe that we can make the Mesoamerican themes that Bethesda introduced to the Argonians work. While I agree that it does seem like they copy and pasted their style onto the Argonians rather uneffectively Im fully commited to integrating it better and take into account the Argonians culture and lifestyle. Im a huge fan of Mesoamerican style and art as well as the Argonians. We wont let you guys down!

• reaction_title_1 1

I feel we can make it work too. My fear being that we'd imitate thing from the Mesoamerican style, without giving proper context to it in the Argonian style. Things like symbols and carving in different things like weapons and buildings. If there's a snake statue acting as a railing, there should be a reason the Argonians made it a snake.

I have feeling though that we'll do it right. 

• reaction_title_1 1

Absolutely @TheSandwichMan. I plan to place more importance on the Argonian side than the Mesoamerican side. Mainly because, well, its ARGONIAN culture not MESOAMERICAN culture that were trying to force to fit. Were creating an entirely different aesthetic that puts Black Marsh's culture ahead of aesthetic. We want players to say "Hey this looks similar to Mesoamerican art" not "Wow they just put Argonians in here with a Mesoamerican style"

• reaction_title_1 1