Orion the Above Average

Black Marsh Inspirations

swamp_town_by_hidetheinsanity-d9e4etu.jpswamptown_by_corndoggy-d5qs97y.jpg

big_thumb_f78c1676b88227b3604363a2e3b28c

Here are some ideas for swamp towns I found on Google Images. Not sure how useful they might be, especially since most of Black Marsh is underwater.

• reaction_title_1 2

Actually, I've been looking a little more into IRL societies that live in swampy terrain. I think we can expect a loooooot of thatch.

As to establishing a reason for everything, I've been plugging away on tribal groups and mythology. Those are obviously going to be crucial to start writing quests and story, but also to establish aesthetics. I have a feeling that the different tribal groups in particular are going to have very distinct aethetics and feels to each. Think of the difference between northern, western, and eastern High Rock, or the difference between Raga and Yoku Redguard aesthetics.

Oh I really like that first picture for Argonian architecture. It's pretty unique for a city. Similar to a city of tribals than just a bunch of tribes like lots of Argonian stuff is depicted. Maybe something like this could be inspiration for the Lilmoth upperclass?

Edited by Argor nash35

If you were to embellish and fantasize mesoamerican aesthetics like you see with how medieval European aesthetics are treated, you wouldn't be able to tell it was mesoamerican right away. These cultures are hardly ever used in modern pop culture, unless they are actually straight up mesoamerican. Heck, most of the things referenced are Aztecs and Mayans, imagine some Olmec inspired Argonian head statues lying around.

• reaction_title_1 2

A direct inspiration for visuals though isn't at all as unique as it could be though. That's one problem I had with ESO. Argonian clothes and architecture.

I agree. While I havent seen the Argonians online, I have seen screenshots and I'm disappointed with Bethesda's "effort" in fleshing out the Argonian aesthetic. The reason I feel people might be so strongly opposed to Mesoamerican influences is because of how poorly it was implemented. Thankfully we at least have a blueprint what not to follow. Keep in mind also, certain things work because theyre grounded in reality. Part of why I love an Argonian Mesoamerican mashup is because of both cultures religious and spiritual influences on their respective aesthetics. We can visually believe it and see its plausibility (even if some dont agree with it) because its real world connection.

• reaction_title_1 2

5b888fd1dce964a6515c87392891e6d1.jpg

This is an interesting design, besides the meso american influence. But this could be some sort of Argonian shaman armor that amplifies the user's abilities massively. 

49331534f933347c934586a169e61212.jpg

And  this would be a nice idea for fancy cloaks in Black Marsh. Feathers from birds of paradise.

But these are also some great concepts for creatures. I would argue for you guys to make all animals part insect or reptillian at the least. Making the Black Marsh fauna all so alien. Creating a mixture of beauty and terror.

7606aa250c8d149744940318171906ad.jpg

david-sequeira-beasts2.jpg?1467821980

• reaction_title_1 1

The Sarpa are going in incorporate feathers heavily into their clothing, in fact their overarching tribal organization is called "Vi-Ma-Yaxebsi," or "The Broad Black Wings."

That first picture is in one of our style guides actually! And we're working with the idea that Argonian magickal tradition is heavily invested in the art of enchanting, so you'll likely see a LOT of armors that are technically rather weak, given poor available materials, but enchanted with strange and unique abilities.

And yeah! Almost all fauna in Black Marsh is going to be non-mammalian/avian, with the exception of the Valus ridge in the far west, which fades somewhat into the environment of Cyrodiil's Blackwood. In the northern portions of the province you can find somewhat more reptilian creatures, as well as variations on the fauna native to Morrowind, such as semi-aquatic guar or tropical cliffracers. In the southern regions, fauna will become more alien, with strange, arthropodic animals such as the ravenous nix-otters or the beautiful mazalagatuli, or even the deadily mazaxajithikaj. Our style guide for fauna is here.

I hope that clears things up a bit!