Lord Hayden

Blender 2.7+ Nif Exporter Tutorial

The .nif version is not supported, so my first thought might be is that it could be related to a version difference between Special Edition and Legendary Edition. Are you using a .nif from SE or LE?

I found out that it had nothing to do with the template but with a stupid mistake I made, when I exported the mesh. One more thing: Can you tell me how to add normal maps in blender? I just can't figure it out. (I already created the maps but I just no idea how to apply them to the objects.)

For the Likes of me, I seem to be unable to export a nif for Star Trek Bridge Commander for a ship I made for this game. I have absolutely no idea what to do here in regards of exporting to .nif.

I have exported several models with this way and have never faced an issues I can't handle until now. My latest model seem to have all the settings correct and exporting goes successfully as usual. But instead of having BSLightingShaderProperty the exported nif has NiAlphaProperty. Could anyone give me a clue what might be causing the issue?

I followed the tutorial until the exporting to .nif. After a frustrating series of different error messages (which I managed to resolve) I'm now hitting a wall with this guy:

error_exportnif04.thumb.png.09ef9defa536

I know, it looks a lot like the message about the n-gons but I am pretty sure I don't have any. I checked by triangulating and by using the selection tool (see image). The mesh's geometry is actually very simple:

05.thumb.PNG.83fbb73eae0df5376830c70953c

I don't know what the problem is, but rather WHERE. the 4 lower horizontal pieces produce the error. The rest can be exported:

06.thumb.PNG.0b83fa919e6207f285bd0a0502d

so, first question: what might be wrong with these pieces that prevent me from exporting?

second question: when exported it appears that some faces are not properly displayed as in the last picture the top face of the table top appears to be missing, but when I look from underneath its the bottom face of the table top. so I guess it is wrongly rendered. do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks a lot in advance!

EDIT: Okay, I solved the second question. there were unnecessary vertices in these pieces that somehow prevented me from exporting them. so i managed to export the whole stool.

BUT: the problem with the missing faces in nifskope remains. who can help me? :)

EDIT2: Solved. thanks to discord AU. Recalculated Normals.

Edited by mindmonkey

Hello, I'm trying too Install BlenderNifPlugin Develop from May 2017, but keep getting error that instal bat can't find my Blender. Also can't install from the User Pref.

So how does this get installed?.

On 12/01/2018 at 5:20 PM, Vortec said:

Hello, I'm trying too Install BlenderNifPlugin Develop from May 2017, but keep getting error that instal bat can't find my Blender. Also can't install from the User Pref.

So how does this get installed?.

install the PyFFI first(https://github.com/niftools/pyffi) with 

easy_install -U PyFFI

or:

pip3 install PyFFI

*for enable the command easy install or pip

I had some issues trying to get any sort of weighting or rigging done with this but found a workaround using Outfit Studio.

This is for SE meshes, but should work with LE as well (just exclude the step for optimising nifs for SE and use the LE version of outfit studio).

Its not ideal, but for my purposes (rigid mesh attached to 1 bone) it worked well enough.
Just follow the instructions on here to export a NIF.
Then also export as an FBX file.
Open Outfit Studio x64.
New project, and load whatever mesh you want as a reference to copy weights to.
Leave the next window as cleared and hit finish.
In OS, click file, import as FBX, and import your FBX file. You could do with this as an OBJ as well but FBX files keep position whereas OBJ files end up misplaced.
However, FBX files also have issues with normals messing up and inverting somewhere.
You can invert U or V on import but this didnt seem to fix the problem for me, found a workaround though (will cover shortly).
Make sure your reference object is highlighted green, left click on your actual mesh shape.
Click on Bones, then CTRL Click the bones you want.
Go to Shape>Copy selected weights.
You can then use the brush to modify the bone weights if you want, for me I painted the whole object red as I was only attaching it to one bone and needed it rigid.
File, Export as nif (not with reference).

You should now have your static trishape exported as a nif with a BSDismemberSkinInstance block weighted to whichever bones you needed.

Now, to fix the inverted faces and normals, just simply run your exported NIF from blender through the NIF optimiser (to make it SE compatible).
Then open it, and copy the BSTriShape to your OS exported NIF.
Add the BSDismemberSkinInstance to your new BSTrishape as its skin.
Remove it from the original trishape.
Delete the old trishape.
You'll now have the correct trishape with fixed normals and the new skin instance will be applied to it.

I am 100% sure there is easier ways to do it, but buggered if I could find any guides on it.
The only skinning guides I could find are for 2.49 blender or 3ds max, and other than the comment above mine, I am yet to see anyone else say that the new nifscripts can export this block correctly.
So in the meantime, this is what worked for me and just thought id share, even if it is a ridiculously convoluted way to it :D

Hey! Thanks for this tutorial.  I'm having issues getting my model exported however.   I am remodeling the Khajiit to look better.  I have all parts (hair, head, eyes, body, undies, hands, and feet) as separate objects on one layer.  I used Nifskope to get the models from mods and the vanilla game.  I have only modified the meshes and assigned new textures.  I am trying to export it as a nif to get it back into skyrim, and upon export  i get this error.  I am new at all of this so any help is greatly appreciated!

Error.png