Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bethesda: A Cesspit of Endless Theft and Greed

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Bethesda is destroying the modding community with their joke of a platform, and their willful negligence of Modder's rights and concerns everywhere. After about a week, they have done nothing to address the issue of thefts on their platform, save for a DMCA policy that requires us to file complex legal documents every time our work is stolen! This situation is obviously not enough, and they have decided to spurn, and blatantly disrespect and disregard all modders with such statements such as calling us "hackers", and dehumanizing us with such tactics as segregating their respective platforms for the PC/ XBox1/ PS4, refusing to show modder's names on the downloads page at betheftda.aids, and ignoring (even encouraging, with their segregated platforms) the active culture of piracy on their site.

Now, you would think they've done enough damage to the modding community already, but no! They've taken things a step further in the throes of endless greed, and decided to make a quick cash-grab with their highly destructive and invasive "re-master" of Skyrim! I have every confidence that the upcoming "re-master" will not only break the millions of mods for Skyrim already out there, but it will offer no new features of worth whatsoever (such as a new story/ main questline, or a 64 bit exe), but instead, will use this as an excuse to open the floodgates to the console crowd, and throw the toxicity of paid modding on top of that! They plan to announce this at the E3 convention on Saturday, and when this is officially confirmed, I'm done with modding and the Nexus forever.

All of my mod pages will be nuked, and all of my future projects will not be published (even team efforts; I'll make things clear from the start.) I will still leave my website up though, and stay in touch with my friends from the Nexus. I find it very sad that it had to come to this, but I want to leave before the storm of the century hits. Things will get worse, I'm sure, when bethaidsda.FYouHackers start taking down sites like the Nexus to stifle out competition, and keep modding under their boot of tyranny and oppression. I won't be there to fight them on this, although I would dearly love to, but I'm sick and tired of all the drama and pure exploitation of the modding community.

Now then, what can you do to fight Bethesda in my stead? Make your voice heard! Boycott them! Flood them with complaints! Stop buying their games, stop uploading your mods to Bethesda.net, stop being silent and post exactly what you think of their wanton destruction on their "official" site! Share the experiences of modders like me who had to go through hell on earth, thanks to Bethaidsda, and are taking down their mods in droves, or retiring from modding altogether. Step up, and become a new generation of free modders, unbound by any but our own hearts and minds; driven onward by mutual respect! Don't let our sacrifice be in vain! As long as the free spirit of a true modding community remains, then we shall never truly die. Long live free modders everywhere!

Posted

Do you not think that you might be slightly overreacting? Just a tad?

The Skyrim remaster, while a very well-substantiated rumour, is still just that - a rumour - and we don't have anything remotely approaching proper details on what it may or may not entail and how it may or may not be handled. It's also very difficult for me to agree with you when you're getting pre-emptively annoyed about something that you think will happen (no 64-bit executable or PC stability improvements or fixes) without any evidence or even waiting until the E3 conference.

The console modding thing, as far as I'm concerned, is another mountain out of a molehill. The console mod thefts are shameful, no doubt about it, but the exact same thing was happening with the Steam Workshop when it first came out, and, eventually, it settled down. This is just an example of growing pains and teething troubles on a new platform, made more apparent by the fact that people on Bethesda.net have greater incentive to steal mods (access for console users) than Workshop uploaders did (access for those who for some reason refuse to use the Nexus).

Bethesda haven't done anything to slight modders. Pete Hines is abrasive on Twitter, yes - this isn't new. He's put his foot in his mouth on a wide range of topics before. A random tweet from Pete Hines doesn't indicate the corporate attitude of Bethesda as a whole. And Bethesda.net is hardly an attempt to monopolise modding - if it was, they would have tried that with the Workshop, and they would have done it before now. The idea that Bethesda are somehow conspiring to take down the Nexus is asinine.

Also, seriously, the whole "Bethesda.aids" and "Bethaisda" thing is extraordinarily immature and puerile.

11 people like this

Posted

Now then, what can you do to fight Bethesda in my stead? Make your voice heard! Boycott them! Flood them with complaints! Stop buying their games, stop uploading your mods to Bethesda.net, stop being silent and post exactly what you think of their wanton destruction on their "official" site! Share the experiences of modders like me who had to go through hell on earth, thanks to Bethaidsda, and are taking down their mods in droves, or retiring from modding altogether. Step up, and become a new generation of free modders, unbound by any but our own hearts and minds; driven onward by mutual respect! Don't let our sacrifice be in vain! As long as the free spirit of a true modding community remains, then we shall never truly die. Long live free modders everywhere!

My propaganda pamphlets for a fictional world make more sense than this. 

All in all, dear unknown person from the Internet, your post would look like Don Quixote fighting windmills, if Don Quixote was full of spite and vitriol instead of noble intentions and attacked passerbys instead of windmills. You also don't have a comedic sidekick, but I assume he's too busy convincing other people on the Internet to "boycott".

1 person likes this

Posted

Content theft is something every single publisher of digital goods has to deal with, us modders as well. It's almost an mandatory annoyance, though  it doesn't make it right  either. As a hardcore pessimist myself, I see where you're coming from but I'd still say you're laying out the utmost worst case scenario here. Bethesda's modding support might end some day, that's a possibility but as long as they don't sue Nexus and other independent mod sites (which is extremely unlikely)  then there's always channel through which mods can be distributed by modders themselves. Aurlyn is a top notch mod and it'd be shame to pull it off because some random kids that haven't yet learned to appreciate other people's time and dedication. I don't think Skyrim on PS4 and Xbone is necessarily a bad thing, mods will gain a lot of positive attention despite some of the eventual downsides. There's of course the risk of Ubisoftitis as Bethesda becomes an ever more larger company, but at least we'll always have CD Projekt.

Posted (edited)

Well, while I can appreciate the passion and the willingness to fall on an imaginary sword to become a martyr of a digital world I think you're being a little rash and I am not moved to become some kind of resistance fighter in a revolution to oppose a manufactured 'evil tyrant' 'boogyman' in an effort to avenge you.  As someone who has been a content creator on YouTube for a long time I can't blame Bethesda for making use of the DMCA system... that's standard for digital content creators, it's not a perfect system, but it's the one we have, and it's flaws are not Bethesda's fault.  They are just making use of the system that is in place, and they even said that they were working on a way to streamline the process, or at least that's what I was able to gather from the links you sent me the other day on the nexus.  If I am mistaken in that, I will point out that I did ask you for clarification and instead of answering my questions you threw more links at me which makes me less inclined to jump on the 'down with Bethesda' bandwagon.

You do great work as a mod author, Aurlyin is an excellent mod!  I'm a big fan.  It'll be unfortunate if you decide to give up modding, but if you feel like that's the best course of action that's your decision to make, I just wish you'd calm down a little.

Edit:

Thought this was fitting;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaU_VpMu0c

Edited by DrewsBrew

Posted

Taking a week or two to craft a strong and comprehensive response is about the best thing they could have done in this situation. I completely understand the frustration with not having much of a recourse when the platform first started up but they've addressed everything. I'm very excited at the prospect of a well-maintained official modding platform. The increase in size limit for mods would be great too - perhaps some large worldspace mods could take advantage of such a thing. Who knows.

Posted

Poor management and poor judgement on bethesda's part: 

1. Steam is a perfect example of what can happen in a situation like this.
  2. Nexus has learned to deal with most of these issues, they should have learned from their example. 
  3. It's foolish to think that a largely unmoderated setting would have worked in the first place. 

The response by Bethesda to these issues, after the fact, should have already been implemented before the problem existed. There was enough information on the net of how this situation would have went down that Bethesda should have already been prepared for it, that they weren't shows what I mean by lack of judgement and poor management. 

2 people like this

Posted

Ultimately  this is best statement possible as it allows growth on both sides, and finally a chance to find a center in  this argument

TB, I feel I don't know you anymore....