Looking to Join as a Writer

9 posts in this topic

Posted

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TpJ8JHCIcHtfX-Q3ec6KtYTEO6yjyK4VhxKmuIdVBdY/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QqtPsVxR4Mad1jzSyUsEoDWhCh3unqI3VTRNSqXnT1g/edit?usp=sharing

Hello! I've watched the efforts of DarkCreations from afar for a while now, and I would honestly love to help contribute as a writer. Originally I would have wanted to write for High Rock, but since it seems you guys mostly have it covered, I was wondering if I could help work on writing for Cyrodiil. I hope my writing is up to par! 

Posted

Actually, over at Iliac Bay (the High Rock and Hammerfell project), the writing department is still open to applicants.  You seem to have a good grasp of lore and solid writing skills.

Generally we ask applicants to post writing samples directly related to the project they want to work on, although you've already provided some good examples here.  If you originally wanted to write for High Rock and still do, could you provide a writing sample related to that province?

Posted (edited)

I certainly can! High Rock is honestly my favorite province and it doesn't get enough love in my opinion. Admittedly so far this is the only thing I've typed up, it's been unfinished for a while, and I've thought about changing a few things around in terms of climate and geography, making it something akin to how resident Waffles made it. https://docs.google.com/document/d/13o4j1q7SDuVfsbGH-yVsOz-iCSgRF8Rey4-JVB0P

Edited by Bee-and-Barb

Posted

The link you've posted is broken, unfortunately.

And yes, Waffles and I worked on making a definitive climate/geography/biome map for High Rock about a year or so ago, so feel free to look through our lore primers and other lore topics for ideas.

Well then, I'll try and type up a new bit of writing. My specialty probably is culture; like customs, architecture, cuisine, etc.

I believe that the Bretons aren't as cookie-cutter as lore usually claims they are, I feel they'd be a lot more diverse in not only terms of culture, but in appearance, too. I feel that there'd be some Bretons who look like your typical Frenchmen, dark-skinned Bretons with elven ears, even Bretons who almost look sort of East Asian. Unfortunately I can't draw for beans, so I could probably get refs through the in-game character creator or real-life examples. 

SSqROqV.png?1

A long while ago I made up this quick map of cultures in High Rock. I have to head to bed real quick so I can't post a key unfortunately, but tell me what you think! 

Posted (edited)

For the record, as my personal opinion as HR's writing lead, that document you've just linked to is either irrelevant, unhelpful, or actively damaging to our lore - it mostly seems to have stemmed from a gut reaction to distance the province and the Bretons from anything and everything that ties them to real-world influences.  So, just for further notice, apart from a very few things, that document isn't relevant to anything we're doing here.  Official Bethesda lore and our in-house lore trumps Reddit posts, generally speaking. :)

As for different Breton cultures, we here are in complete agreement.  If you haven't already, I suggest you look through both our High Rock lore primers and our naming conventions, both of which are directly relevant.

Anyway, I'm glad to say you've been accepted to the IB writing team. :)  Although I'd still be interested in a High Rock-related sample to get a better feel for your understanding of the province.

Edited by Sage of Ice
1 person likes this

Posted

For the record, as my personal opinion as HR's writing lead, that document you've just linked to is either irrelevant, unhelpful, or actively damaging to our lore - it mostly seems to have stemmed from a gut reaction to distance the province and the Bretons from anything and everything that ties them to real-world influences.  So, just for further notice, apart from a very few things, that document isn't relevant to anything we're doing here.  Official Bethesda lore and our in-house lore trumps Reddit posts, generally speaking. :)

As for different Breton cultures, we here are in complete agreement.  If you haven't already, I suggest you look through both our High Rock lore primers and our naming conventions, both of which are directly relevant.

Anyway, I'm glad to say you've been accepted to the IB writing team. :)  Although I'd still be interested in a High Rock-related sample to get a better feel for your understanding of the province.

Thank you so much! I'm not too sure where to start exactly, but I'll get to brainstorming right now! 

Sort of as a "sample" topic, I was thinking probably I could write either about the specific cultures of the Bretons, the physical characteristic of the diferent Bretic groups, or the current state of politics in 4E 200. Which of the three do you like the most? 

Posted

Any one of those would do, although like I've said, pretty much all of those aspects of High Rock have been already developed and codified either via official or in-house lore.  If you haven't read the primers already, I'd recommend doing so - that way we could potentially use your sample if it ties into what we've already come up with.