97 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone,

I've been told that Farrun is of high priority for the moment, and I'd love to be able to help out with this project. Just starting up this thread to track my progress and get some inspiration, concepts and existing material together so I can knuckle down and start producing some models. I've read a little Farrun lore, but anything regarding concept art or the specific feel of the city will be helpful...anything really, for a starting point!

Thanks for reading, Noctis.

5 people like this

Posted

There are a few building exteriors and several textures already completed. You can get an idea of how it looks on the Trello board, but also you need to make a gitlab account (http://gitlab.darkcreations.org/users/sign_in ) so that you can download the git repository and take a look for yourself at what is there. 

A good plan of attack IMO would be to first finish textures for the untextured portions of the completed buildings, and then use that finished texture set to make more buildings. We'll make an exact list of the necessary buildings on Trello.

Posted

No worries Escha. I'm away from my laptop for now, but I will get the git repository set up in the morning and ready to go. That sounds like a good plan :)

Good luck Noctis!

1 person likes this

Posted

Okay, so after a lot of messing around and random clicking, I have figured out how to get these models and the textures into Maya. As of the latest version on the old Farrun planning thread, the existing two models appear mainly textured. However, there are some that are missing, including doors, some window frames, and the chimneys etc. Below I have a screengrab of both models on my system. Just making sure these are the right models before I get to work. Also, if these are the correct files, is there anything lore specific that will need to be used? Similar stonework for the chimneys as the roof, or a specific wood colour for the doors for example?

House Screenshot 1.png

House Screenshot 2.png

3 people like this

Posted

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65421/?

Took a bit of searching around but I can't get my head around the interface in Max...I could probably learn it but Maya seems to do the job for me much easier. After installing it and loading it in the plugin manager, just use the standard File -> Import function and it imports the model and materials/textures etc. Just don't make the mistake I did and make sure you're in textured mode! Haha :)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Okay, so this day has been pretty productive. After importing the models, I have managed to texture most of the missing areas of the larger house other than the platform and rocky debris. After finding references for similar Tudor, English-style houses, I found that many chimneys were constructed using red brick, however, that didn't look right on a High Rock house. Instead, I went for a rocky brick texture with a similar blueish colour gradient to the roof tiles. The door reflects the black paintwork I found in references, but it can be changed to any colour or back to an original wood finish if preferred.

Also, these are just shoddy Maya viewport renders - I also have normal and specular maps generated. The diffuse maps on the old textures only show through at 80% opacity on Maya, I'm not sure why, hence they look a little faded next to the new textures. I assume this will be fixed in the completed model.

House Screenshot 3.png

House Screenshot 4.png

Edited by Noctis
9 people like this

Posted (edited)

So this morning I have worked on the second model again. The first model is still untouched. Here are two finalised renders of the house, where I have added a foundation and rock texture, as well as toned down some of the normal mapping. Additionally, I have altered the stucco wall texture and replaced it with my own, created in Substance Designer, to give more of an organic and rough look to the outer walls. As of this point, the only vanilla texture on the house is the wood, which in my opinion suits it rather well and fits with the theme. If this is all good, I will start to transfer it onto the smaller house. If not, let me know what may need changing!

House Render 3.jpg

House Render 4.jpg

Edited by Noctis
11 people like this

Posted

After a whole day of messing around trying to figure out NifSkope and the Creation Kit, I've managed to get the second completed house model into Skyrim! This is all new to me, so I am understandably excited that I've managed to do this...it's a proud moment!

Anyway, here is a screenshot, using vanilla textures and shaders etc and on high settings. A couple textures look slightly different in-game, notably the foundations and rocky debris that are far too bright - the foundations may even look better with the tones inverted. The doors are also slightly too dark, rendering as almost black until facing it at a certain angle. Time to go back and change them, and then finally apply them to the smaller model!

ScreenShot4.jpg

12 people like this

Posted

End of the day now, and I have retextured the garish colours that were on the previous screenshot (including lowering the contrast on the stucco walls, and transferred the textures on to the smaller house. Here they are both in-game next to each other for comparison. The circular window frame UVs need remapping to curve the wood grain around, and the maps need to be sligtly altered on the plaster walls so that the shadowed areas match the beams. Next step is to render the glow maps for the windows, and then onto creating new meshes! I might also darken the foundations again...

How does the final texture set look?

ScreenShot5.jpg

5 people like this

Posted

The foundation color is looking much more consistent with the rest of the set, and I like the mossy rocks around the rim. I think that can be considered done. Can we get a close-up shot of the lower versus higher contrast plaster textures? It's tough to get a clear impression at this distance.

Nice work!

1 person likes this

Posted

I thought so, the lower contrast plaster certainly looks better.

Anyway, the textures are completely finalised, and specular maps have been baked into the alpha channels of each normal map, diffuse textures are DXT1 and normals are DXT5. Using the finalised texture set, I have completed (almost) a third house mesh, using the same footprint as the smaller house (HRFarrunHouse01 I think). The chimney has been made symmetrical and placed on the centre of one side, and the windows modified to reflect this. The doorway has been relocated to the front of the house and the cover has been modified and separated from the main roof, to act as more of a 'porch'. This necessitated a change in the wooden beams on the front of the house, and a wooden border has been added on the top of the cover mesh to ease the transition from tiles to plaster. In doing this, the house can be placed on a different angle in comparison to the roads in the city, providing a bit of variation to the layout. The cover mesh needs adjusting slightly but I will get around to that tomorrow probably.

Let me know what you think!

FarrunHouse3.jpg

ScreenShot8.jpg

14 people like this