92 posts in this topic

Posted

See? Other people who aren't me do care about that scoreboard. It's a very important thing that matters to a lot of people!

It's like collecting Pokemon. 

3 people like this

Posted

So I've fixed the issue with the door cover mesh, and now it looks much better from underneath and integrates with the rest of the model much easier. But I have run into a weird problem when exporting from Max into Nif format. When opening the mesh in NifSkope, the cover deforms. I can sort out the weird normals so that they all face the same way, but there is no way of transforming the mesh so that it lines up 100% perfectly as it does in Max (they were modelled as one object and then separated into two so there is no distance between them). If anyone has any suggestions/solutions please let me know or PM me and I can send more screenshots...I've spent two days on this one now and I'd like to move on!

Anyway, apart from that the third house is pretty much done.Door_Cover_Mesh.thumb.png.22bf798c58d147Nifskope.thumb.png.2cf4bdb02fd432096cb19

4 people like this

Posted

After a long time remodelling and uv unwrapping for the second time the third house has eventually been finished. The first time in Max proved a little different and things went badly wrong, but eventually were fixed (in no less than 48 long hours). Here is a quick render of the existing models so far. I'm pretty pleased!

FarrunHouses.png

8 people like this

Posted

Three of the five lower class houses are now complete, and Escha suggested to me to create modular balconies/verandas that can serve to make the piece appear more varied, as well as providing access to the doors in a sloped, port city. I've decided to create these from scratch, and it will be nice to take a break from the houses for a couple of days. Anyway, Here is a quick screenshot of work on the first, wooden balcony. There will also be stone verandas etc. This will probably be it for today -- have to go out and then I will probably hole myself in and play some Skyrim. Enjoy!

Balcony02.thumb.jpg.17862c2569dae2d95997

9 people like this

Posted

The first balcony has been completed and textured. Currently, it is all one mesh and is not consisted of modular pieces. This means that the spacing of the beams can depart from being somewhat uniformly spaced around the veranda, but also means that there will be less freedom in placement within the Creation Kit. Here it is in-game, connected to FarrunHouse01, the first of the tileset. This balcony is intended to be used on lower class houses, hence the wooden construction and the slightly deformed wooden beams. The planks that make up the floor are also slightly bent towards the middle, representing the fact that they have been walked on for quite some time, although I'm not sure this is visible in the picture! Currently without stairs, but I'm just focusing on this mesh at the minute.

Will the modular approach be more desirable than this approach?

Posted

Ignore the last post! Working on a similar design but using a modular approach. This means that for the lower class buildings, there can be much more variation. I have four separate styles, three of which can be seen in this screenshot. The final style will have canvas covering the edge of the balcony, dyed ultramarine and with an alpha map on the edges to represent the city of Farrun. These can also be used across the game-world for extra generic pieces of architecture such as elevated walkways etc. They are 128x160, and snap on a 32x32 grid with the house. They are currently untextured, and the wood colour here isn't UV mapped so don't pay too much attention to that. I also seem to have lost the normal map for the roof...either that or the CK has misplaced it...I'll get on that.

First time I've done anything modular in the CK, so this is a fair bit of progress for me!

4 people like this

Posted

Thanks Escha! Whilst it is taking longer (and I didn't realise you can't flip objects in the CK so that's a LOT of end pieces to be made) I can see the benefits of having it this way, it makes much more sense. Plus I'm learning a lot about the CK now which can only be a good thing. By the end of this tileset there's going to be a truckload of balcony pieces, what with stonework and more intricate upper class balconies as well!

Posted (edited)

Short update, got a couple other volunteering projects on the go in architecture as well this summer. Anyway, I'm still working hard behind the scenes! The wood balcony set is complete with all variant end pieces that suit every possible combination. Unfortunately, they snap horizontally but not quite vertically, so the supporting beams need a bit of adjustment...which is a pain seeing as there are somewhere in the region of 25 unique pieces...ah well! 

Anyway, once I thought I'd finished the lower class wooden set I moved onto the stone set, and have a completed low poly mesh for one of the main section variants. Next is to work on the textures! I will textuse each stone piece as I make it, as the workflow of texturing all the wooden pieces at once nearly drove me insane. I learned from that mistake ;)

Crappy Max viewport screenshot, but it gives a clear view of what I am making the stone balcony set out to be. Enjoy!

Edited by Noctis
4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks very much! Good to know the work is helping out here!

Currently working on a texture set to work with the stone balconies. Just a quick update with a screenshot of one of the textures I am working on. The inset sections will be tiled in a mosaic fashion, whilst the pillars and arches will be decorated with larger rectangular tiles, and the main support will be textured in a smoother stone finish, the one in the screenshot. Tomorrow will be spent uv unwrapping the first mesh, from then on it will be much easier when I can just transfer UVs across and I have an existing texture set to work from.

The stone will be in-keeping with the design of the houses and the lore of Farrun, and will be of a dark and slightly blue-tinted material to reflect the local stone. Using Bitmap2Material and my own original photographs to make these textures. Never used it before - it seems like it could be very powerful!

Edited by Noctis

Posted (edited)

Finally, a decent sized update! Today I have completed the UV mapping and texturing of the first main stone balcony piece. As you can see in this screenshot, it is intended to virtually match the tone of the stone used in the construction of the Farrun buildings. The balcony is solid stone, and I can imagine it being used mainly on the upper class housing (I might be wrong there). In order to provide some more variety, I will also construct a sort of  "hybrid" set, where the balcony pieces will be constructed of both wood and stone, to be different from the very solid look of this set. That will mean three complete balcony sets in total, each with plenty of variation in parts and combinations.

The tiling needs work in a couple of places and the arches need rounding off and smoothing, but the main piece and texture set is now almost ready to be finalised before branching off onto the variant details. Please let me know what you think of it so far, and what may need work. I may make the diffuse a little lighter depending on opinion - it matches the stonework of the houses and Farrun's "dark, slightly oppressive, but not run down" nature, but it does feel like it could be a little overbearing...Then again, I'm using a default Skyrim set-up here, so everything usually looks muddy and dull anyways. What's the opinion? It's a simple fix.

Thanks!

Edited by Noctis
3 people like this

Posted

Can you take some larger up close pics of the balcony? That balcony is hard to discern any specific details on and as such looks a bit blurry in the picture, and I would suggest going into the settings and hiding the HUD, but otherwise I'm very ready for Farrun tileset to be completed haha. The buildings look great so far!

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks! The HUD and crosshair are off in this picture, and I have got closer to one of the repeating section of the balcony. The AO that was baked into the diffuse needs to be turned down on the large tile texture that covers the pillars, and the UV mapping needs altering in some areas, but I will have a second pass at that tomorrow! Another thing I am thinking of is to have metallic trim areas that separate the inset tiles from the rest of the stone - at the moment the transition looks too harsh and this could make it seem more natural.

Thanks for the feedback!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

The diffuse maps have been made slightly lighter in colour, the UV maps have been worked on again, the AO turned down a little and I have added in the metal trim and stone tiles over the arch. This is the final design for the upper-class stone balcony set, which I can now use to base the rest of the designs off of. Also - I just discovered the "snap to reference" in the CK, which means these meshes actually snap together on a 64x64 grid now, rather useful! I am going to turn the specular maps down a little as well. First screenshot from no-clip mode and second is close-up in rather dodgy lighting.

As always, please let me know what you think of the designs, it's a big help!

Edited by Noctis
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'll be honest, the stone texture on the main portion of the lower half of the balcony looks quite blurry, as do the darker sections between the tiled areas to a lesser extent.  The design of the balcony itself is good though.

Edited by Sage of Ice
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks Sage, yeah I agree with you there. After discussing with Escha I swapped out the texture on the lower half for a brick texture, which is also running across the paving on the top of the piece. As for the tiled pillars, I think the contrast might need to be raised a little so the mortar in between the tiles is more easily visible - I'm gradually working on it!  The original stone texture looked like a solid lump of rock, which I have kept for the upper section of the balcony as it suits the 'carved' or sculpted look of the runners; the AO map has been sharpened a little to give it slightly more definition.

I wanted to make a section that could be used as a centerpiece to some of the baconies in very specific buildings, possibly placed in front of an upper class door. Using the trefoil celtic pattern that Waffles told me was common in the designs of High Rock I have made a metallic pattern in the center of the balcony piece, creating a point of interest and a little decoration. The set is gradually coming together now - I want to eventually get a good sense of variation going on. Again, let me know what you all think. All criticisms are helpful and get me to improve! :)

-- As a side note, the green channel on the metal inlay's normal map needs inverting, I will get to that.

Edited by Noctis
4 people like this

Posted (edited)

After a long time remodelling and uv unwrapping for the second time the third house has eventually been finished. The first time in Max proved a little different and things went badly wrong, but eventually were fixed (in no less than 48 long hours). Here is a quick render of the existing models so far. I'm pretty pleased!

FarrunHouses.png

There must be a lot more existing models:

msg-2704-0-25091400-1378889302.jpg.3ae14

Don't worry about the patchy roof, for now it's just here as a placehoder.

msg-2704-0-48725700-1374850481.jpg.96b55

msg-2704-0-75002700-1374254712.jpg.9ae24

==> http://www.darkcreations.org/files/file/758-las-highrock-meshes-and-textures/

Edited by Ysolda
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@Ysolda, I really wish there were more haha! There are tonnes of screenshots in the old Farrun Development thread as well, but none of us can seem to find the models anywhere...I've used that link before, and it contains only the two house models, HRFarrunHouse01 and HRFarrunHouse02, that I downloaded at the start of the claim and some textures. It's unfortunate in a way, but at the same time I'm enjoying making these new models from the kits that LoneArchitect has already made and adding in my own pieces and features. I'm taking inspiration from the screenshots as well as the lore staff, and the new wooden/stone hybrid balcony kit I'll be working on soon will be directly inspired by the balconies I can see in these pictures.

It's a bit of a pain, we don't really know where all the models disappeared to! 

Thanks though, these screenshots are really nice haha! 

Edited by Noctis
1 person likes this

Posted

Yes, unfortunately. There was also an "hearthfire" version under construction. Also I have deleted almost every meshes. Only some images remains.

Anyway, here's the picture for HRfarrunHouse06 (since it's based on the vanilla Farmhouse06.nif, shown on top in the following picture, just for reference)

msg-2704-0-38183400-1375276906.jpg.39457

1 person likes this