95 posts in this topic

Posted

So I decided to start working on the housing again for a change from the balcony pieces. I am urrently working on the fourth (out of five) lower-class house, and I am looking at changing up the layout of the floorplan so that it can differ a little from the basic rectangular area of the existing three houses. The current house is set up in a sort of T-shape, where the entrance is on the front of the new extruding area. This will also give a nice corridor/entrance section to the interior of the house as well. It has been kept at a smaller level, much like the first and third house. This is a work in progress, but I have uploaded some screenshots on the work on this so far. After this, the final lower class house is intended to be a design that will fit in a corner, giving further diversity to the city layout. Next steps on this house include roofing wood sections to cover the seams in the transition between the two roof sections, moving the chimney to the right side to even out the weighting of the design, and continuing to work on window and wooden beam placement. Here are the WIP shots:

I am still working on the balcony kits, though! I now have a third main piece and I am starting to work on double-width pieces with wider arch sections to break up the stone designs, similar to those in the existing screenshots of the old models.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Yep! The slate will stay the same, as in the third house I have made. What I meant was I will have a wooden beam, similar to those already on the roof, to run down the diagonal margin between both stone areas to mask the seaming and look more like real constructed roofing. Don't worry, the whole roof won't change! As for the shaders, I have the textures ready in the mesh folder I downloaded, I'm just working on the models first before I do the variants - both snow and moss :)

EDIT: that first link is really helpful in terms of how it works so thanks again for sharing that!

Edited by Noctis

Posted (edited)

Okay a rather large update today!

The fourth 'lower' class house has been almost completed...This house is intended to be in the wealthier range of the lower/middle class houses but forms part of the lower class house set. Since yesterday, I have altered the doorway using modified vanilla meshes to make use of a new porch that fits with the aesthetics of the current set and resembles that of LoneArchitect's earlier work. As well as this, I have added in the roof seam covers and finalised the window layout and repositioned the chimney. The new geometry has been textured but not UV mapped completely yet. As a result, I have my first house that (the design of which, at least - LoneArchitect's previous mesh work is superb) is almost entirely 'Noctis'! Really proud of this house, and I have some screenshots of it placed in game to show it of in nice fashion. I really need to get ENB these days...

There are some parts of the mesh that need fixing, and UVs need repositioning in some areas, but it's well on it's way now! More to come soon...In the meantime, enjoy!

medium.20160721171501_1.jpg.4763ef8a5bbf

medium.20160721171732_1.jpg.131507306f82

large.20160721171543_1.jpg.a6bfe82c7fe71

Edited by Noctis
10 people like this

Posted

The house looks great. Something is wrong with that rock foundation though. It looks stretched and I'm not sure that the normal maps are working.

Thanks! Yeah it's just a rubbishy placeholder now, I grew to hate the old texture so I want to change it out with something more natural looking...I may end up going with a palette swap of a vanilla HQ texture, not sure yet! It's not going to permanently be like that though :) 

1 person likes this

Posted

I have continued working on the fourth house model. After completing the basic design on the last post, I realised that the porch looked a bit out of place. Usually, such a triangular roof would be placed perpendicular to the main roof, rather than jutting out of a wall -- meaning it would ideally be placed on the side of the protruding section of the house, rather than slapped on the front of it. As a result, it looked a bit strange where it was. I liked the shape of the floorplan, though, and didn't want to change it too dramatically by adding the triangular porch. It also looks a bit too decorative of a detail, and so I will be saving it exclusively for the most upper class houses.

Because I wanted some variation from the porches that were used in the other three designs, I decided to do a bit more research. These houses are all strongly based in the realm of Tudor architecture, specifically English farmhouses and townhouses. LoneArchitect has a thread where he mentions "oasthouses" in Kent, which were used as first hand reference for some of his designs. Whilst Kent is the other side of the South coast and is quite far away, the city I live in has an entire district of untouched and preserved Tudor buildings, once home to Francis Drake and the Mayflower before their voyage to America -- perfect for this style of housing! I went down there and had a close look around, and saw that many of the buildings, specifically those that were on narrower, packed and lower-class streets, made use of a porch where the lower floor was made slightly smaller to accomodate more room for foot traffic and horses passing through the streets below. It also allowed people to walk where they would not be hit by people emptying chamberpots from their upper windows!

So I tried to implement it in the design for house number four, and I think it's solved the problems. It looks much more like it fits in place, and also serves a useful function in theory. Here is a current screenshot, almost completed:

large.20160724130101_1.jpg.a9a5f31fc4797

Now, the mesh and UVs need a final clean-up, the foundation texture needs tinting slightly, and then I can move on to the next part of the project! Vertex painting will be the final stage.

Again, let me know what you think, if this is dramatically wrong (which it may well be!), let me know :)

3 people like this

Posted

How would you feel about making the upper floor window over the front door larger? It would take serious aim to toss the chamber pot through that little guy. It would help to dress up the facade.

I can't see the fireplace in that shot. Modern houses can take advantage of different materials due to cheap land transportation, pre-industrial houses would use what was available locally. So the fireplace and the foundation should ideally be the same stone, though the size of the blocks could be different.

1 person likes this

Posted

How would you feel about making the upper floor window over the front door larger? It would take serious aim to toss the chamber pot through that little guy. It would help to dress up the facade.

I can't see the fireplace in that shot. Modern houses can take advantage of different materials due to cheap land transportation, pre-industrial houses would use what was available locally. So the fireplace and the foundation should ideally be the same stone, though the size of the blocks could be different.

When I was modelling this it definitely was on my list of things to do, I just got caught up in changing the porch area that it skipped over my head! I will certainly revisit this window on my next pass over the model, thanks for bringing that to my attention :)

As for the chimney textures, they have the same colouration as the roofing -- a slightly blue-tinted, dark shale colour. The foundation colour needs to be palette swapped so that it matches. This way, it will appear to be of the same stone, but the chimney will use manufactured bricks and the foundation will appear like more natural stone. That will also be on the next update!

Posted (edited)

So! Modelling for HRFarrunHouse04 is complete! I think.

For this stage, I corrected the foundation colour (which looks much better in-game than Max), replaced the stucco texture again, and modified the top window -- it is now large enough for people to throw their human waste out of. :D The plaster texture is now slightly more tan in colour, closer to the drab walls that LoneArchitect had used, but with much more of a visible and natural variation in plaster thickness due to the normal mapping. It also compliments the dark brown of the beams better, and doesn't make the house textures to high in contrast when compared to one another, or when looking at from a distance, when shadows are not rendered. The foundation matches the natural stone of the area, and the house looks proud!

Here is an orthographic view of the house in 3ds Max:

large.Screenshot_2016-07-26_14.04.21.png

And here it is in-game, next to all the other houses! Just got ENB, I know it's over saturated and generally horrible but I didn't want to spend any more time fiddling with the settings :wacko:

large.Farrun.jpg.eade290e94abd56d40d3f82

Edited by Noctis
5 people like this

Posted

Just logging in to let you guys know I'm still working! A couple things have come up but I've got a fair amount of time in the next few days again so I will start updating more. At the moment, I am working on a small, square floorplan cottage that can be used both in the city and around in the Farrun area as a bit of variety and convenience. I was looking through the old Farrun Development thread with LoneArchitect and Ladyfalk and saw a couple photographs of a slate house with two chimneys that came up in conversation a few times before deciding on final concepts, and I think that would work quite well in the context of this design. Here is a screenshot on the work so far -- it will most probably be finished tomorrow.

large.Screenshot_2016-07-26_17.43.53.png

The chimneys will most likely be on either side of this building. In context, small houses with multiple chimneys such as this one could indicate its use as a bakery or bakehouse; perhaps a place where grain is taken and processed into bread loaves, or in the context of Skyrim, perhaps an alchemist cottage or something along those lines.

Tomorrow I will correct the UVs on the foundation, as well as change the window arrangement to make it look a little more unique, and probably change the style of the porch.

2 people like this

Posted

large.Farrun.jpg.eade290e94abd56d40d3f82

Nice houses, great job!

One thing, it looks like you lost LoneArch's amazing work with vertex paint, the houses look very unshaded without it. There are no built in shading mechanicsm in the Creation Engine, so vertex paint is 100% essential if you want skyrim quality architecture

3 people like this

Posted

Nice houses, great job!

One thing, it looks like you lost LoneArch's amazing work with vertex paint, the houses look very unshaded without it. There are no built in shading mechanicsm in the Creation Engine, so vertex paint is 100% essential if you want skyrim quality architecture

Thanks very much! :)

Yep, I'm 100% inexperienced with vertex paint, but Escha has shown me how to do it all in Max. I'm working on finishing the lower class set first (one more house to go) and then I will do a vertex colour pass, as well as collisions.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The cottage modelling is finished now. I made the chimneys slightly taller than on the regular houses so that they stand out as a feature of this particular model, as well as making it look slightly different. I may take this and change chimney heights on some of the other house models as well just to provide a little bit of visual difference across the city, or villages. I used larger windows for the top floor to distinguish it further from the small, round windows of some of the other models in the lower class set.

I was playing the Witcher 3 this afternoon for a little bit of R&R (and research of course), and found a few buildings around Oxenfurt that were half-timbered, much as Farrun architecture is. However, some of the buildings made use of fully timbered upper floors, which made me think of another way that I could provide a bit more variety between individual designs. Later on, I had a bit of a snoop around the internet and found out this was a rather common practice in 17th century farmhouses to shelter buildings from more adverse/extreme weather conditions, and provide better insulation to residents. Given it has a strong contextual basis, and would make sense in a region with the weather biomes of Farrun, I thought I would try it out on the model of the cottage. Here is how it looks, finished and in-game:

large.20160801205418_1.jpg.91b150c7d898b

Again, the final texture pass on these assets is not quite complete, and the siding here does make me realise that the wooden beam texture is a little dull across these models. It's something that has always been at the back of my mind, but I couldn't quite figure out what was bothering me. I may revisit this texture in the future -- i think it's the only vanilla texture left on this model. I also haven't smoothed the normals on the foundation so excuse the ugly lighting here.

As always, let me know what you think, including if I've gone wildly wrong! :D

Edited by Noctis
3 people like this

Posted

It's been a fair while since I last posted, but I have had a lot going on which has now come to a close so I can come back to the forums now. Plus, I did tons of work hours on these models within one month and kind of burned myself out for a little while! Anyway, just wanted to post an update and say that more stuff will be coming soon. The next step will be to finish of the lower class part of the set with the final house -- one that can fit into a corner intersection for flexibility. I have a series of floorplans that were sketched by Waffles a couple of weeks ago and will use those to determine the exact design of the next house.

Until next time! I will return with solid work very soon :)

5 people like this

Posted

It is a strange mix of architectures.. are the walls and the castle placeholders?