Sign in to follow this  
Maki2859

Imperial legion armor (leather) of Cyrodiil

Hello everybody.

Since a few days, I work a new concept : the imperial (legion) light armor (leather) of Cyrodiil. 

Why ? The legion is at home in Cyrodiil, I did not see why the soldiers will be equipped with a imperial armor of heavy infantry.

I await your opinions. 

PS : I am not a modder.

Cyrodiil Leather Legion Armor.png

picture edit : 6/10/2016

My arguments for this armor are : https://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/10940-imperial-legion-armor-leather-of-cyrodiil/?do=findComment&comment=285147

Edited by Maki2859
  • reaction_title_1 2

the imperial (legion) light armor (leather) of Cyrodiil. 

Why ? The legion is at home in Cyrodiil, I did not see why the soldiers will be equipped with a imperial armor of heavy infantry.

Regarding the Imperial Light armor it looks too combat ready compared to how Imperial Light is described as.

Per the descriptions and Guard Responses of Imperial Armor in Skyrim the Imperial Light is Scout armor while Studded and Heavy are more common on the Legionnaires the reason they aren't wearing them I assume is Beth simply forgot and didn't touch them at all after scraping certain civil war parts.

Even the soldiers from both sides seem to say that the Legion is mainly in heavy armor from complaining about it weight to saying that they will hear them coming since the Imperial heavy "clanks like a kitchen" something leather cannot do.

Quotes regarding the Armours.

Beirand "Light armor for scouting detail, heavy armor for full on combat, or something in between?"

Guards 

Imperial Light: Stormcloak sided guard "For your sake, I hope you took that armor from a dead Imperial Scout..."

Imperial Sided Guard "Judging by your armor, I'd say you're an Imperial scout. If so, well met."

Imperial Soldier: "This armor is damn heavy."

Stormcloak Soldier "Legion soldiers gleam like fresh fallen snow and clank like a kitchen. They head this way, we'll know it."

That's Third era with "Dragonscale" how common is Dragonscale on Generic Legionnaries anyway compared to Imperial Steel and Chain? 

The only sets in game are at the bottom of dungeons.

However note the studded leather and chain sets.

Both of which are offer superior protection than skyrims light and much lighter than skyrims heavy.

In light of those the artists armor looks fine.

Both of which are offer superior protection than skyrims light and much lighter than skyrims heavy.

You know that doesn't work considering armour value for items also changes in each game which means if Imperial chain was in Skyrim it would have a different armour rating.

The armor was labeled as just "Imperial light armor" with Leather which ends up suiting with Skyrims Light and Studded. and doubt that the armour differences between the Legion would be in actual armor considering the timeline of the fourth era compared to the end of the third.

Now if id been referring to something as dumb as armor value you may have had a point, however i am not. I was referring to the fact that the designs themselves where superior to the designs shown in Skyrim.

"The armor was labeled as just "Imperial light armor" with Leather which ends up suiting with Skyrim's Light and Studded" Irrelevant to the discussion.

"and doubt that the armor differences between the Legion would be in actual armor considering the timeline of the fourth era compared to the end of the third." So let me get this straight you think leather would protect you from a sword to the gut the same as chainmail? Methinks you are either blind or are a deficient 

Now if id been referring to something as dumb as armor value you may have had a point, however i am not. I was referring to the fact that the designs themselves where superior to the designs shown in Skyrim.

"The armor was labeled as just "Imperial light armor" with Leather which ends up suiting with Skyrim's Light and Studded" Irrelevant to the discussion.

"and doubt that the armor differences between the Legion would be in actual armor considering the timeline of the fourth era compared to the end of the third." So let me get this straight you think leather would protect you from a sword to the gut the same as chainmail? Methinks you are either blind or are a deficient 

Bethesdas random changes for the Legion caused this.

I am not saying leather would protect more then chainmail but what the Legion is getting outfitted with is rather different from both eras. And armies wouldn't change armour because of the place they are going to so we don't know if the Legion is still producing said Imperial Chain for the Legion.

if we are going to continue this probably better to take it to private messages.

What random changes are you referring to?

" And armies wouldn't change armor because of the place they are going to so we don't know if the Legion is still producing said Imperial Chain for the Legion." This sentence makes no sense. What does an army NOT changing its attire based on location have to do with armor manufacture? An army changing its equipment based on location would impact amor production, but if nothing changes with location how could manufacture be affected?

I make it my policy to only PM for personal disputes. This is not personal, hence no PM. Unless the admin requests it.

What random changes are you referring to?

" And armies wouldn't change armor because of the place they are going to so we don't know if the Legion is still producing said Imperial Chain for the Legion." This sentence makes no sense. What does an army NOT changing its attire based on location have to do with armor manufacture? An army changing its equipment based on location would impact amor production, but if nothing changes with location how could manufacture be affected?

I make it my policy to only PM for personal disputes. This is not personal, hence no PM. Unless the admin requests it.

The random changes in armour types like for example from going to Morrowind's Legion armor with Chain, Steel, Silver, Templar, Leather, Dragonscale and Newtscale to Skyrim's Legion armor with Leather, Imperial Studded and Steel. (Certain armours are understandable due to rarity and lack of named npcs outside of Legates and Hadvar)

The manufacturing was about the issue of not seeing Imperial Chain in Skyrim's Legion as if they were still using it (though in my opinion it would have made a better "Medium" then just light with studded curiass) it should have appeared in Skyrim or even Fort Frostmoth's ruins.

Edit: (To specify by the whole light, medium and heavy(for Skyrim) thing just using the terms that Beirand uses when getting outfitted)

Edited by Gaius Marius

The word "Imperial" in Morrowind armors doesn't necessarily mean that it's an Imperial Legion armor though. Morrowind defined several sets of armor by cultural style rather than in reference to a specific faction, and several of the Imperial armors aren't actually considered legion armors. The dragonscale one is actually an example of that, if you're a legionnaire and wear it you're considered to be out of uniform and higher ranked officers will refuse to speak to you.

Also Morrowind was much more into the idea of the Legion favoring heavy armor than Skyrim was, it's one of the favored skills of the legion and very few legionnaires in uniform wear anything but Imperial Steel.

Edited by Skadi

That's back when the Empire had access to more Iron and steel resources. But with the recent loss of most of their provinces (Empire) and all the recent wars, the legion has most likely been using up or reserving most of their resources. This is shown in the increase of light legion armors as well as in Cyrodiil by the minor lack of metals on our armors in comparison to previous eras. Not necessarily Cyrodiil cannon mind you.

That said, and after not really reading through most of these messages, there's no reason we can't just use vanilla Imperial light armors in Cyrodiil. Nostalgia aside, it's not a high priority asset for us.

The concept is nice enough, though I would suggest working on coloring IE. adding shading and highlights mostly, as some of the details in the armor are getting lost in the monotone colors.

Edited by Argor nash35
  • reaction_title_1 3

Before saying my arguments :

"Look at it. That's real Nord craftsmanship, that is!" - Noster

This means that the armor of Skyrim is regional.

"This armor is damn heavy."
The leather is a heavy armor. The leather of my concept and the leather of legion armor in Skyrim are different.

My arguments :

The heavy armor is used for heavy infantry. Their role is to do maximum damage in the first front line before the intervention of infantry (light / studded armor).

I don't see the point in making the armour heavier in the centre of the empire where there's no war.
This original concept is a set of armours in heavy and thick leather with a style which is close from the one of the legion of the 4th era of skyrim and at the same time highlight the cyrodiilian style. 
This local armour is of an average weight. The thickness of the armour can protect from melee attack.
Maybe there's also an economic fact: the legion must save money by creating less heavy ( and less solid) armour but they still have to protect well the legionary.
For the leather type, i'd say it would be a mix between the skyrim leather armour and the one from Smalish ( Leather Colovian Armor).

Argor, Is that better?

PS :  I do not have adequate equipment for my concepts.

Leather Armor Legion Cyrodiil 4E.png

Edited by Maki2859
  • reaction_title_1 1