Imperial City Banners

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Markus has asked me to design some banners for the Imperial City, and honestly I'm pretty excited about it! I'm sure this city is still a long ways away, but being the crown jewel of the Empire we should probably be going all out on this one. As always, anything I post is up for scrutiny and alteration, and I'll keep the OP updated with the latest images if the thread builds up :)

References from Oblivion and Skyrim:

Oblivion's colour palette for these banners was way too flat. I like the simplicity for the long exterior banners, but they definitely need to pop some more. Skyrim has two Imperial Flag designs: one for battle standards, which is a red emblem on a black background; one for Solitude's interiors, which is the Oblivion colour scheme of a black emblem on red. That seems to indicate that we should stick to black on red for the most part, since that's how it appeared in Oblivion, and it's a scheme still used today.

SR-banner-Castle_Dour.png

tcoc_imperial_city_palace.jpg

Dark Creations resizes images to fit on screen. You can right click and select "open in new tab" if you want to view them in greater detail :)

Exterior Banners:

Cloth/linen fabric, as they were before, and a simple long shape. Colour scheme now makes them pop a bit more without being overly fancy for exterior banners; leather stitching at the top will attach the banner to the iron bars that hold them, providing extra detail; weathering effects have three variations - minor for banners that are regularly replaced (presumably for front gates and the Green Emperor Way), medium for banners in regular locations that aren't frequently replaced, and major weathering for locations that really aren't a concern for image (Waterfront?).

Banners below are half-size of actual textures:

30185972454_c26a793d31_o.jpg

Interior Banners:

Shiny banners for the heart of the Empire. Because the folks in charge of managing the Empire probably want to pretend it isn't in decline.

30185968564_6416a795b3_o.jpg

Fancy Banners:

For unique locations that need to make an instant impression on players. If you want something, feel free to request. As an example, here's a banner of the night sky using studded diamonds for stars. Because if you've got the wealth, why wouldn't you?

30700877822_97b2446e8a_o.jpg

Edited by Darkstorne
9 people like this

Posted

Very nice! Is that the Imperial City architecture set as well? Looks very good.

I think that's an actual Oblivion Screenshot, though it must be modded, there's no way those are the vanilla shadows.

Posted

Yeah that's just a popular texture pack for Oblivion, but the banners are vanilla for comparison :)

Posted

Love the new banners!

On a sort of related note, I've always hated the red imperial vanilla banners - they look too glossy and fake in comparison with everything else. I think it's the almost white highlights on the folds of the fabric that are supposed to be sticking out.

You mean the first reference image in my OP? I completely agree, and although I'm using the same base for the interior banners I tried toning down the gloss to a reasonable level. Let me know if it could still use some work though :)

1 person likes this

Posted

These banners are absolutely brilliant!

I personally like the the most the exterior one (white - red - black).
The fancy one blue and white is a little bit particular.. I would have never thought about something like that.. My compliments for your creativity :)

Posted

The designs are nice, but the filter you used for the folding and ripples could be better (it doesn't actually look like it's not flat the sign is extremely symmetrical) but who gives a damn it's a game

Posted (edited)

The designs are nice, but the filter you used for the folding and ripples could be better (it doesn't actually look like it's not flat the sign is extremely symmetrical) but who gives a damn it's a game

The Imperial dragon sign? I was concerned about that as well. It's not an issue with the "filter", since it's just an overlay that creates an illusion, but on dark objects the ripples aren't visible, so the illusion can get lost. Hopefully normal maps help bring that back (textures in OP are diffuse), but if it still doesn't look right then I'll manually warp the logo myself :)

In-game images with normals, minor and major weathering variations:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5740/30752385171_5db756a58b_o.png

30723724412_9417d70218_o.png30723702942_24f4170f76_o.png

Also, what is it with this website randomly refusing to show some images? Three images here, all from the same host, but the first one refuses to show as anything except a hyperlink for me. Is it the same for everyone, or is it random? And is there a rule it follows about which images get shown and which are hyperlinks only, or is that also random?

Edited by Darkstorne
3 people like this

Posted

That red white and black is giving me a slight nazi vibe. It might just be me, but look at this flag and tell me if you don't get the same feeling after seeing them side by side. 

reichswarflagnumberone01.jpg

Also, perhaps we could get some ideas done for Japanese styled banners/flags. The Akavari influence from the Reman Dynasty and the Potentate is still a lingering feeling in Cyrodiil.

SANADANobushigeYukimura-1.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

The red white and black is verry nice. 

Compared with the Nazi flag, we can not do anything ! Let the comparisons of this kind.

The potentate is end for a long time. The japanese banners are not a good idea but it can be found in the ruins of the potentate period.

Posted

The nazi flag did look pretty cool

too bad they went full retard

but if red and black is too nazi then many flags are nazi too like Albania etc

Posted

I didn't get the nazi vibe when I saw it, it looks different and it's very pleasant to look at it. It's simply pretty. I though about nazis after a while... But the beauty of the banner was not ruined by that. If you want no nazi vibes at all, how about replacing white with silver?

Posted

Nah it's fine don't change it just because someone finds it similar to a flag someone else might get butthurt about it would set a bad precedent

Posted

I the only one who got more of an empire (Star Wars) vibe?

just me?

Posted (edited)

YAYRIPPLES! Probably won't be noticeable from a normal distance, but at least the 3D illusion holds up better up close now :)

30260814274_a07b1348fd_o.jpg

Not going to waste time on the other discussion going on here.

Edited by Darkstorne
5 people like this