robcbwilson

Morrowind Leadership Announcement Jan 3rd 2017

Leadership Changes:

Over the past months, through the height map discussion and our move to Discord, it has become clear that Morrowind as a team needs fresh management and ideas to provide focus and to lead our province into 2017 and beyond. To that end, we have made the following appointments:

•          First, we would like to promote Asurnasurpal to Director and Lore Lead 
  •         Jaberkaty will become the Co Lead of Writing
  •          Art Lead will be Meglos
  •          Interiors Lead will be robcbwilson.
  •          Ro will temporarily continue as Exterior Lead
  •          Iceflame will become Lead for Bleakrock

Establishment of an Official Project Workflow:

The way we work as a team is chaotic. We currently have no clear directions for finalization, workflow, or overall team direction. This wastes an inordinate amount of time and leads to confusion, disagreement and a lot of wasted effort.

There are multiple examples of issues with our current workflow. In many cases, we have multiple, competing concepts with no clear indication of which is final and official. We have no clear way of telling what decisions are final and what are tentative plans.

In order to curb this, we are going to introduce a workflow for general work and a pipeline for the overall project itself:

•        Workflow (using an Ogrim as an example):

Art Lead approves concept art to be created.

Lead assigns this concept to someone to draw.

Concept enters the WIP stage. This is the ONLY stage that the wider team has the ability to critique.

The ONLY person who can ask for changes to the WIP object is the Art lead, who will take into account all suggestions from the wider team.

The WIP (once completed) is then signed off as final by the concept artist and the Lead.

The finished concept art is then passed to the 3D team Lead.

The 3D Team Lead then assigns the art to someone to be modelled and placed in game.

The finished work is then implemented and merged.

The only exception to this rule is clutter or other small items from TES III. (Such as the obelisk I am making) For items such as these, all that is needed is approval from the 3D Modelling Lead, as the TES III items themselves will be considered as canon and concept art.

The above flow will be used for all departments, including writing, to ensure that we work as efficiently and collaboratively as possible.

Establishment of a General Project Pipeline:

Morrowind currently works in the wrong order, with high-level concepts like quests, characters, and plotlines being written before low-level world building is complete. This means that the quests are shaping the world rather than the quests coming more organically from the world we have created, and regularly results in large, time-consuming revisions and rewrites becoming necessary to solve relatively small issues. To curb this, we have organized an official Pipeline for lore, writing, and development.

The Pipeline will be divided into the following stages:

Completion of the heightmap.

A full survey of the heightmap, in game, to ensure there are no major issues that require revision. Revision of any potential issues.

Study and establishment of Morrowind's geology, geography, biomes, and weather patterns.

Final decisions on flora and fauna, as well as their distribution. Writing team begins work on Morrowind's history and prehistory.

Wilderness landscaping commences. Writing team begins work on low-level economic structures and major religious and cultural divisions. Architectural design commences.

Agrarian and village landscaping and level design commences. Low-level dungeon level design commences. Writing team begins work on high-level economics, and cultural and religious specifics. Wearable and weapon design commences.

Writing team begins work on plotlines, characters, and quests. Work on cities, towns, and major dungeons commences.

Implementation of plotlines, characters, and quests commences. Voice acting begins recording. Bug fixing and QA begins.

General Notes

Above and beyond the changes to the leadership, workflow and the pipeline we will be making a number of general changes to the way we work. We are an incredibly talented and passionate team, capable of amazing things, however, the way we work and interact is holding us back. Morrowind is an incredible province which holds very fond memories for many people. We have the scope to create something stunning and we need to make sure we give ourselves the best opportunity to create it. The feedback from our 5th anniversary was incredibly positive, it is clear that there is a lot of love for our province.

We will have Departmental meetings weekly on a rota. So for example:

Interiors           Week 1

Exteriors          Week 2

Writing            Week 3

etc

This will enable everyone to gather together to discuss progress and talk through any concerns. It will also mean that people will not feel as though they are missing out on conversations due to their time zone etc. Important team discussions can take place during these meetings rather than at random times during the week

Everything done before this point will be up for review. Everything. That doesn't mean everything gets thrown out, just that it all gets reviewed.  This also means that decisions made during Spectral’s reign do not automatically take precedence

From now on, mudslinging, inappropriate behavior, and general misconduct will no longer be tolerated. People who are rude, disrespectful and who question authority without reason will be warned privately. Further discretions will be taken further if lessons are not being learnt.

Do not ask for votes in an attempt to change things that you do not agree with. If you have a concern with something that is being built or created, bring these up during the WIP stage. It is not helpful to the team or respectful to the artist creating the object to criticise once the item is finalised / completed.

Trello will be used for all work in cities, towns and models

At this time Google Drive is going to be used to store all written work. It will also be used for in progress concept art. Completed art will be transferred to Trello for the modelling phase of implementation

Please remember to post WIP shots, writing notes etc on the DC forums. We have people who do not use Discord and it is important to enable them to keep up with our team’s progress.

• reaction_title_1 16

And how's that working out?

Hi Thorne,

Things are moving along quite smoothly. We're currently actively working on our two pre-releases (The New North - Bleakrock and Sheogorad) and Dreams of the East (Telvanni Isles and environs). As I mentioned in the writer role-call PM, a majority of the creative brainstorming is taking place on our Discord Server, and much of our finished work and WIPs are on the Google-Drive.  If you'd like to be part of the process, the invite to the discord server still stands. Send me a PM and I'll get you a new link.

Regards,
Jaberkaty & Team Morrowind

• reaction_title_1 2

Hi Thorne,

Things are moving along quite smoothly. We're currently actively working on our two pre-releases (The New North - Bleakrock and Sheogorad) and Dreams of the East (Telvanni Isles and environs). As I mentioned in the writer role-call PM, a majority of the creative brainstorming is taking place on our Discord Server, and much of our finished work and WIPs are on the Google-Drive.  If you'd like to be part of the process, the invite to the discord server still stands. Send me a PM and I'll get you a new link.

Regards,
Jaberkaty & Team Morrowind

Great to know you are planning 2 pre releases :)!
Can I ask you if you plan to include the city of Port Telvannis? That would be quite challenging!

• reaction_title_1 1

As Morrowgan noted, Port Telvannis is planned in the Dreams of the East. Let me know if you need a link. :) 

My question was if the city is going to be included in this pre-release "Dreams of the East" or if it will come alongside with the main release :D.. That's why I'm excited about this info! :)
I supposed BleakRock Isle was too small for a pre-release and I thought immediately you could include also sheogorad (with Dagon Fel if it still exists), but thinking about Telvanni Isles and Port Telvannis was totally on a different world!

I'm a lover of the big cities and Port Telvannis should be at least be 1.5 - 2 times the size of any Skyrim City, or at least that what I would think :D

However yep, send me any link you'd like to :)

Edited by Lux

Well considering the Argonians sacked it and flooded the ruins.....

Looks like we will have to wait for Tamreil rebuilt to see the Jewel of the East my friend.