Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Student Thread - TiagoLPS

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Alright, so you have the basics of creating a low poly model in Max and you understand what UV mapping is. My aim is that you will learn to use those skills together with Zbrush and texturing software (either/and/or Photoshop/Substance/Quixel) to produce a game-ready model. What is your skill level with zbrush and do you have any experience with textures? 

1 person likes this

Posted

Ok, so I have 0 experience using zbrush and 0 experience with texturing overall, the farther I ever went with Photoshop was crop-resize-rotate to use as background in 3D max.

Posted

OK so first I'm going to have you do some reading / watch some vids as well as follow the basic ZBrush tutorials. 

This vid was helpful for me when I was first starting out: https://videogameartist.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/high-to-love-poly-game-modeling-tutorial/ It shows a similar workflow to what we are trying to learn, using Zbrush to create high poly models and transfer that high detail information onto a low poly model for the game engine. Of course there are many, many different ways to get to similar ends and what he shows here isn't exactly what we'll do, but close. Searching around the internet will turn up lots of interesting reading material on workflows, and its definitely worth reading as much of it as you can at this point.

The second part of your assignment is to go through the 'Getting started' and 'Zbrush UI' tutorial videos at http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/course/getting-started Zbrush is a fairly convoluted UI but what is most difficult about it is that it doesn't behave like any other software and takes some getting used to. I'm still learning new things in Zbrush all the time. However, it's an EXTREMELY powerful piece of software, and once you learn to use it will you will love it.

Posted (edited)

Alright i'll check out the videos and report back here once i'm done ;)

Edit:

Is it normal for it to look so "blocky"?

Untitled_1.png

Edited by TiagoLPS

Posted

Alright i'll check out the videos and report back here once i'm done ;)

Edit:

Is it normal for it to look so "blocky"?

The 'blockiness' is just the individual quads showing because you haven't subdivided the mesh enough to make it appear smooth. Under the 'geometry' roll out you can press the big 'divide' button to add more subdivision levels, but don't go too crazy there because its easy to get more polys than your pc can handle and zbrush will crash. At the top of the window you can see the number of polygons you are currently working with, if you get it up to more than one million that should be enough for the sphere to look smooth. 

Posted

Alright, so I'm now able to make this Dog that comes with zbrush look rocky ^_^ 

Untitled_1.png

Posted

Alright, so I'm now able to make this Dog that comes with zbrush look rocky ^_^ 

Hidden Content

cool, so now you've got the basic idea of how edit/draw modes work and how to use brushes. We could now try to take that dog into skyrim, but lets spend some time in Zbrush first learning some more useful techniques. Let's try Subtools and Dynamesh for now.

Subtools - 

You can think of subtools in a similar way to how Max treats separate objects. They are distinct meshes, but they exist as part of the same 'tool'. When you make more complex models, say bricks in a wall, or teeth for a creature, you'll want to use subtools. Take a look at ( http://docs.pixologic.com/reference-guide/tool/polymesh/subtool/ ) and from there (and maybe google some youtube videos) you should be able to figure out how to append additional meshes into your tool, and manage them by merging and separating subtools.

Dynamesh - 

This is a really useful function for creating complicated shapes. You can distort your starting mesh (maybe a sphere) and then every so often recalculate a new mesh that will place evenly spaced vertices across the surface of your mesh, enabling you to easily create say a biped form or a tree from a sphere. Here is a good example of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2rRsnB5lYY

Dynamesh and subtools can work together, too. If both subtools are dynameshed, you can use boolean logic on your meshes to for example subtract the volume of one mesh from another.  Your assignment is to create two interesting dynamesh tools (doesn't matter what, could be a rock could be a face), append one into the other as a subtool, and then merge them together and use boolean logic to either add or subtract one mesh from the other. Have fun!

Posted (edited)

Alright so I did an Undead skull, and was going to add the horns to it but I guess I subtracted it xD also merged the eyes somehow...

Untitled_1.png

Untitled_2.png

Edited by TiagoLPS

Posted (edited)

Ok, so I made something more practical, although it's not done, I still need to practice sculpting rocky walls.

I used Dynamesh and subtools to make the curve of a bridge.

bridge_1.png

Untitled_2.png

Just some playing around:

Untitled_13.png

Edited by TiagoLPS

Posted

Hey I'm impressed! You're really getting the hang of this quickly. It's not easy to conquer the Zbrush interface.For things like architecture we normally will use tiling textures for most surfaces, because if you were to bake out and texture a whole bridge with a unique texture your overall resolution will end up being fairly low, since everything has to fit into the square of the texture image. It's possible to sculpt tiling textures in Zbrush as well, using a number of different techniques, but we won't get into that now; remind me later if it's of interest. 

Next I want you to make something that you want to put in the game world. Doesn't really matter what, just keep the overall shape from being overly complicated because we're going to reduce the geometry to a few hundreds of triangles and UV unwrap it.  For the initial model you can go up to a few million polys, from where we will have to drastically reduce the geometry to obtain a low poly model, a process known as retopology. You can do this in a number of ways, using Decimation Master, ZRemesher, Retopology tools within brush that allow you to draw vertices, or external programs for retoplogy. It's likely that your low poly model will require some modification in Max later. Should be easy to find videos on those Zbrush functions. I generally use Decimation Master to obtain an initial low poly, unless it's a very organic shape, in which case ZRemesher is a more appropriate choice since it leaves everything in quads and gives nice topology for animation. Once you have a high poly you're happy with have a go at creating a low poly mesh using those tools and Max, where the surface of the low poly follows as closely as possible to the high poly without using an insane amount of polygons. 

Here is a free pack of brushes from a well-known Blizzard artist that you may find useful when sculpting a high poly: orb brushes

Another technique that can help is using alphas. You can use them a number of ways, one of my favorite is to change the masking brush to pen in drag mode and give it an alpha. You can then use deformations on the unselected area, like inflate for example. It can help to dynamesh after making adjustments like that, and clay polish can help with the jaggies. If the jaggies are too much you probably need more polygons =D

Posted

So how much is "overly complicated"? :P 

Posted

So how much is "overly complicated"? :P 

Just keep in mind that you'll have to capture as much of the overall shape as you can with a limited number of polygons, and that you want your low poly to be something that is more or less straightforward to UV unwrap. I'm thinking something the size and complexity of a table or chair as opposed to a house.

Posted (edited)

Are there any good tutorials on making stuff like chairs, tables, etc? still having a hard time making more solid things like that

My first attempt at a chair:

chair.png

Edited by TiagoLPS

Posted (edited)

Are there any good tutorials on making stuff like chairs, tables, etc? still having a hard time making more solid things like that

My first attempt at a chair:

Hidden Content

What you're looking for is a 'hard surface' workflow, its mainly used for things like armor modeling but the general techniques are useful for other objects as well. There is a huge amount out there to read/watch on hard surface modeling, but one very simply thing you can do to make your life easier when starting out something like a table or chair is to create a low poly mesh in max, use GoZ to send it to Zbrush, and either subdivide if you have evenly spaced vertices or dynamesh if you don't, and go from there. A bonus with that method is that you have a low poly mesh ready to work from when you're done in zbrush. It looks like you were able to use subtools to construct the object though, good job! Also, nice use of the Orb slash brushes =D

Since we're going to take this model in game, why don't you add some more details to the surface before we export it and bake out texture maps.  Maybe something like celtic knotwork patterns? You could try sculpting them by hand (the lazymouse feature will be very helpful for drawing smooth lines if you go that route), or using alpha masks to create a deformable selection.  After that, either see what kind of low poly model you can achieve with decimation master, or try to create one by hand in max (or combine the two techniques). If you go the second route, you would send the high poly (or maybe a medium poly version) to max and make a mesh that stays as close to the high poly surface as possible while keeping polycount to a minimum. What you really want to avoid are places where the high poly sticks out a large distance from the low poly mesh.

also: ZModeler can be useful for these kinds of geometry but I honestly haven't used it very much, and still prefer to do the low poly work in max.

Edited by Escha

Posted

Oh, that's much easier :P ZModeler can be kinda weird to use.

Making the low poly in 3D Max:

Untitled_1.png

Posted

Oh, that's much easier :P ZModeler can be kinda weird to use.

Making the low poly in 3D Max:

Hidden Content

It's ok to add a little more geometry here. For an asset like this that will be seen up close it's fine to bevel the edges and conform the surface to the woodwork a little more. For instance, your high poly has inset squares in the back rest, you could add an inset square in the low which you might not expect to add much, but the ability to vertex paint those few additional vertices can really help the overall appearance. 

Do you have your high poly imported into max as well? If not, Go ahead and export your high poly as an obj and merge it into your max scene. From there, clean up and optimize your low poly, and finish by UV unwrapping it. Posting the uv layout here for feedback is probably a good idea. After that, we're going to bake our first maps in XNormal, so you need to make a 'cage' for baking the high poly information onto the low poly. The cage mesh essentially projects rays along the normal line, and needs to completely surround the high poly. This video provides a decent explanation of how to do it fairly easily: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeczjVAqznM

Posted (edited)

I decided to make this nordic chair instead, based on one fom ESO. So the next step is to send it to 3D max?

Untitled_1.png

Edited by TiagoLPS

Posted (edited)

Ok so i used decimation master on the chair, and it reduced the polycount from ~600.000 to ~100.000  would that be enough?

Edited by TiagoLPS