Sign in to follow this  
Hannes821

Scrolls Retexture Concept

Last week i made a retexture for the scrolls, using 1024x1024 instead 256x256,
also putting a new parchment layer and rusty iron layer underneath;
and changing coloration and saturation a bit.
Actually, its only an early concept, i still would like to add
a variety of damage and water signs and paintings and other symbols....

i just wanted to ask you for your first impression.
And, yes that is the "Elder Futhark font" ... 

2alut4.jpg

11sdtnt.jpg

n4zbea.jpg

i realize the round wooden part in the middle looks in vanilla nearly the same like the parchment, i will definitely also change that.

• reaction_title_1 4

Like the designs! Just one concern: I personly find it pretty unrealistic and also not good looking to have writings on the outside of the parchment. The seal of course is a great addition and it looks very good!

Edit: Even with writings on the outside there should be at least a small border on each side with nothing on it!

Edited by Destero von Atmora
  • reaction_title_1 1

somebody else said actually, that the illustrations are partly too sophisticated for ancient atmoran scrolls, whilst these odd symbols are from a practise scroll of an owl monk (jhunals clevermen); they show the runes we use for our runic magic...

Or maybe you mean the stretched elder futhark? yes, maybe its too small. Also there is one special line that gets streched in the UV-map on the scroll mesh. maybe i edit this.
(i would add the new scroll mesh as ressource to avoid conflicts with vanilla files)

I just find it odd that the text is on the outside of the scroll, but I like the illustration idea for the exterior. I do agree that the illustrations might be to advanced. Perhaps making them rougher and more primitive?

• reaction_title_1 1

valid points. At the moment, the idea was to use these only as static clutter in special dungeons. That means you would not be able to open them and read them,

but still i wanted to emphasise that this are ancient texts... maybe just reduce the density of the text outside and only indicate the purpose and content by single sings.

If we invest more into this, we can make them able to be read and then add the text in the first person view.

I will consider changes in the both points you mentioned. Are there examples you liked / disliked especially ?

I particularly liked the 2nd one down in the first column (The drawing with the fishing boat and wagon) and the last scroll in the second column. As for a particular dislike I would have to say the 6th one down in the second column I just don't really see the Atmorans using watercolor painting techniques (Thats what it reminds me of anyway not sure if that was your intent).

Edited by Enderkingdev
  • reaction_title_1 1

It's true that the writings being displayed on the outside of the scrolls are odd. However it is kind of necessary due to the way they're planned to function.

These are misc items and once used, a messagebox will pop up, displaying the translation, just like Beth has done for the High Hrotgar shrines among other things.

The alternative would be to make loads of new  textures both for the texts in their native language and their translations, and since we plan to add many texts, this is potentially a lot of work...

It also needs to be said that the player gains the ability to understand Atmoran language as part of the MQ, a sort of god-given intuitive ability rather than the "scholarly paper translation" one might more easily think of.

As such, on-paper translations really aren't the way to go (there's another expedition character that is responsible for that in certain specific situations).

TL;DR: unlike books, these scrolls would not open resulting in the Atmoran text inside never being visible, which is a major downer, so for now, the text visible on the outside seems like an acceptable compromise, right?

Obviously models of opened scrolls and stone tablets could be made as an alternative, that would be a nice solution and add some diversity, we'll see what can be done. :)

Edited by Anathem7x
  • reaction_title_1 1

we would use the book attribute (like a note), but instead of a text add a texture with our custom font; which i previously made.
I can do this, its just not high priority at the moment. i need to UV-map these ships, then merge and other important things.
But, yes that was the plan ;-)