Please stop using the voice-actor from Recorder mod on NPCs

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm requesting that the voice-actor for Recorder not be used anymore than what's already been done for Beyond Skyrim. I find the voice to be very immersion breaking. Her voice is very easy to identify and has already been used for several NPCs I've run across in Beyond Skyrim. After watching MxR mod reviews for some time I've become familiar with his girlfriend the voice-actor, Gini (sp?). Not to mention she is the voice for the follower, Recorder. I don't mean any offense but please stop adding her voice to more of Beyond Skyrim is my request.

Edited by ntblood

Posted (edited)

I'm requesting that the voice-actor for Recorder not be used anymore than what's already been done for Beyond Skyrim. I find the voice to be very immersion breaking. Her voice is very easy to identify and has already been used for several NPCs I've run across in Beyond Skyrim. After watching MxR mod reviews for some time I've become familiar with his girlfriend the voice-actor, Gini (sp?). Not to mention she is the voice for the follower, Recorder. I don't mean any offense but please stop adding her voice to more of Beyond Skyrim is my request.

This thread is both interesting and amusing to me, since the VA for Recorder (potasticpanda is her online username) isn't actually part of the Bruma/Cyrodiil cast. We've never worked with her, I (the voice director) have never spoken to her in my life. You say "her voice is easy to identify" - so much so that you clearly hear her when she isn't even there. ;)

Edited by Lasur Arkinshade
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I see what my mistake was. I have Sofia as a follower which is voice acted by Christine Slagman who also is on the Beyond Skyrim team (voicing "Aera the Devout, Rilja Stone-Hearth, Sinja Strong-Mind, Ionalla Dark-Heart, Additional Voices" ; the "voices" I'm hearing and misidentified). That's what I'm hearing and confusing with Potastic. After hearing Potastic on MxR's youtube channel, Recorder mod, and Ellen the Cartographer (FO4) I felt like making an (erroneous) comment. I heard her twice in Bruma but I see now what I'm hearing is what I know as Sofia the follower. With that said, I'm thankful for all the work that goes into this expansion mod. My friend also thought it was Potastic so it wasn't just me. I might add Hayao Miyazaki's opinion for what it's worth. "It can be frustrating when the voice actors want their presence to be felt by others. Especially the young women's voices. It seems like they're all speaking with an 'Aren't-I-so-cute?' voice. That's unbearable."  One sassy Sofia was enough but I'll have to get over it or maybe drop her as a follower. Thank you for the great expansion and work. I'm hoping I won't run into a ton more Sofia's voice but I mean no disrespect to Christine and her voice acting. It's just so distinctive and personally I don't think the tone fits in with Skyrim NPCs. So I'll back away from this slowly now ; )

Edited by ntblood

Posted

I see what my mistake was. I have Sofia as a follower which is voice acted by Christine Slagman who also is on the Beyond Skyrim team (voicing "Aera the Devout, Rilja Stone-Hearth, Sinja Strong-Mind, Ionalla Dark-Heart, Additional Voices" ; the "voices" I'm hearing and misidentified). That's what I'm hearing and confusing with Potastic. After hearing Potastic on MxR's youtube channel, Recorder mod, and Ellen the Cartographer (FO4) I felt like making an (erroneous) comment. I heard her twice in Bruma but I see now what I'm hearing is what I know as Sofia the follower. With that said, I'm thankful for all the work that goes into this expansion mod. My friend also thought it was Potastic so it wasn't just me. I might add Hayao Miyazaki's opinion for what it's worth. "It can be frustrating when the voice actors want their presence to be felt by others. Especially the young women's voices. It seems like they're all speaking with an 'Aren't-I-so-cute?' voice. That's unbearable."  One sassy Sofia was enough but I'll have to get over it or maybe drop her as a follower. Thank you for the great expansion and work. I'm hoping I won't run into a ton more Sofia's voice but I mean no disrespect to Christine and her voice acting. It's just so distinctive and personally I don't think the tone fits in with Skyrim NPCs. So I'll back away from this slowly now ; )

Pithy though my reply was, I do get your point. Christine's a great voice talent but Bruma does feature a fairly significant amount of voice actor repetition, particularly on some of the more niche roles where it's difficult to cast a wide variety of VAs (Nords, Khajiit and Argonians all fit this bill due to the specificity of their accents).

Casting more voice actors to enable us to have a wider variety of voices in future content is a priority of mine, so hopefully things will improve from here on. Bruma gives us a lot of additional credibility we can use to attract more voice talent.

None of this is a slight against Christine, however. She's great - both to work with and in terms of the quality of her performance. Nothing but praise for her, and for the whole voice cast. :)