Galandil

06/11/2017

Update 06/11/2017

To do list for Update 0.0.9

I've recently moved into my own house and as such have been really busy these past months getting settled in. I have admittedly also taken a month's break afterwords. I did work on the dialogue but not as much as I used to. As a result we have as of today dialogue for all of Skyrim with the exception of Guild-Depended Dialogue, directional dialogue for everywhere but Falkreath, rumors, Dawnstar and the villages. Reason is that villages will be heavily quest driven and I think development on these quests must start first so that we can have a broader sense of the quest stages and what dialogue should follow for each step. Dawnstar I am considering re-designing. While I did not think so initially, I have come to see Dawnstar in a new light. Considering Winterhold which will be restorable will also be a fine-cut refined stone city with a frosty environment, it'll look far too similar to Dawnstar. Where as Winterhold was created by a whispered spell and as such should look similar to the College of Winterhold, Dawnstar has no design obligations aside from it being used as a garrison town, as well as a exile-post for legionnaire's. I'll write a bit about the design changes below, and while I still wish to keep the theme and quest designs we have planned, I want to wait with its dialogue development till after its re-designed.

Update 0.0.9 will be aimed for summer 2018 and will include the final work on the level-design. As such there's a great deal to bite into. I did last week finish up quick changes to the Riften building style used in Wintergate and got it a simplified style. In 0.0.9 this will need to be implemented along with interior re-design. I also want to do this for the inn in Lainalten, and while still using the buildings in Lainterdale, the village feels clumsy and should be re-implemented. 

I will finish up the sewers, as well as add new ones to Windhelm, Dawnstar(more of a tunnel) and Markarth. On that note I also wish to add a new district to Windhelm, an extension to Whiterun's farming area, Chillfurrow and Battleborn, as well as adding Wintersand Manor(Nazeem's house). Morthal and Markarth have long been overdue and requires an overhaul, Morthal with custom assets and Markarth using vanilla assets. Solitude also has a few interiors that needs to be finished, and there are a few NPC's that needs to be added. Since 0.0.7 we've fixed all the issues that Holds had crash wise on the legendary edition, as such I can focus on simply the design aspect now rather then issues. While there are a few bugs, they are minuscule and negligible, but will still be fixed in this update. 

Design:

Dawnstar:

Here we will undergo a simplification. Some of the buildings are a little tall and uses attics that aren't really used for anything, therefor I think we can downsize them a bit. I wish to use the farm(Riverwood/generic farm) stacked stone instead of the Windhelm black sot stone for the buildings on the foundations, and Nordify the upper floors exterior design. Re-shape the buildings to look more like they belong in a Barbarian Viking Environment rather then a medieval Europe one. I do not want to apply hay to the roofs, and keep the bare wood, but perhaps find a way to make it less flat. I am also considering adding carved dragon heads to the roof supports, and perhaps other decorations to make it feel more viking.

Doing this will require me to exchange the long cold largely empty Dawnstar towers and replace them with something smaller and simpler. Perhaps with a stacked rocks foundation with single or double floor of wood before the top. Not too unlike its done in Riften. I would also have to change the way that the Thian's keep walls are done. While it now uses both stone for the foundation and walkway, I'd make the walkway wooden instead. I would also like to get rid of the Dark Tower all together and instead extend the Jarl's Longhouse a bit to make it roomie enough for the new quarters that will be moved over. I like the tower designs and will definitely use them in.. perhaps a quest, or a dungeon but not in the Skyrim world-space. 

Interiors will need to be re-designed to fit the new building shapes, but the over all layout in the city should remain largely the same. Cut-throat alley, the building lining near the docks. Exception might be the farm near the boat-builders. The farm should feel more pronounced, and the open area behind it should be more accessible for livestock. Some of the buildings have balconies that are not accessible and should be so in the future. 

I also want to add more detail to the city itself, wooden walkways, skulls, idols etc.. I did add snow on roof in 0.0.8, and I wish to continue with this, it will need to be re-shaped.

I have a small fear that the re-design will feel too similar to Falkreath and the challenge will be to make these feel different to one another. A way to do this to use rounder support beams, keep the white wood and the black bark wood, as well as avoid the European/Colovian building style and go for something far simpler and Scandinavian. 

Morthal:

I want to slim down the longhouse to a flat design with its own fenced off courtyard. The buildings ought to look reminiscent of the vanilla farm style but with alterations. The inn's roof should be rounder, and shorter, the wood ought to be different, perhaps the same stack as in Riften. The foundations should remain stacked rocks, and at least in the Longhouse there ought to be a twirling ceiling support heading, like you find on boats. 

I want to add a few new homes, move the burned down house to near the longhouse or inn to make more room. Move the cliffs slightly to get room for a second row of homes near the water. Among the new buildings should be a boarding house(Like a simplified Brothel, which can then be referenced in Helgen Reborn(Seeing as the compatibility patch does this anyway)), and that's really it. Morthal should feel very simple, not a bunch of shops or anything of the like. The open area outside the longhouse however should have the look of a sort of market for the inhabitants however but that is all you get. 

There is a priesthood in Morthal who wield considerable power as it is implied that the Jarl herself was chosen from this group of priestesses. However they do not hold any temple and instead have a more nature-orientated view on the old Nordic religion. 

The graveyard in Morthal should be a little bigger, hold a cairn to what is "supposedly" Morihaus, for the quest, and other rock-cairn graves. The town should be decorated with simplified wooden walkways, farm stuff and at least where the Longhouse is concerned have two runestones on each side of the path to the longhouse. 

I do not want Morthal to be walled in, and instead be an open city. It should feel very simplistic and farm-like. Perhaps a few braziers here and there but otherwise it should feel as a poor farming town. 

Winterhold:

Building style should be more mid-Medieval Era European style which links with the design of the college. However I want to add the same sort of roofs as in Whiterun which would make sense as it breaks up snow that gathers on the roofs. Because its beneath the snow the color wont really be visible and this way it can feel unique to this location. The roofs should also be long stretching downwards making it shelter-ish. I don't really want to use wood a whole lot but it adds color and variation which should be used for the homes. The city design could feel a little reminiscent of Dalaran in World of Warcraft, with a circular city design with various districts that have closely knitted homes, complete with balconies, bridge-walkways over gates and tapestries. The towers shouldn't stand too tall, but I definitely want there to be long stretching towers in the city. These could be designed to feel spiracle. I also want the design to feel familiar to the Nordic tomb design as well, seeing as Shalidor created Winterhold, but also created the Labyrinthian. Bridge walkways for different levels of the city will make the city feel bigger then it actually is in scale, as well as statues and magic pits like in the college. This will make the city feel far more magical and colorful while simultaneously making it feel cold. It should feel welcoming while at the same time using the same base rock texture as the college. The pathway leading beyond the college stairway and down towards the beach ought to have gatehouses as we can see in Kaer Trolde leading up to the Jarl's Keep in the Witcher 3. Gates should be used when the city is restored to get the player into the city-space. The city still needs to feel Nordic but also scenic and interesting. The Jarl's Keep, a combination of a castle and longhouse theme ought to be seperated from the city proper by a bridge over a fall into the sea below, much like the college just not at the same big scale. The city shouldn't stretch too far outwards beyond where it does in the ruin but slightly, and while the floor shouldn't be entirely flat, it should feel that way and instead use stairways to separate layers. We can still make the city feel big without making it stretch beyond the college, and it would also mean closing off a ton of area's below by adding new cliff sections. It also makes sense that Winterhold "Slipped" into the sea, rather then entire kilometers of the mountainside shrunk below the ground/sea. The Jarl's Keep/longhouse ought to have a small courtyard as well as a lift leading down to whats below which was a harborage. The Winterhold harbor shouldn't be as extensive as Solitude, but slightly smaller then Windhelm. Enough to room maybe 2 or 3 ships. The city should feel more like it receives trade by dock which is then lifted to the city, rather then adding big harbor-districts in area's where it would be far too cold to live. The spraying sea and the cold winds would make such an area inhospitable and it would make sense that they'd tie up their ships, take the cargo up and leave it as that. It would also give a nice unique harborage design of harbor walkways near icy-mountain sides. 

When the Dragonborn arrives at Winterhold it should be a ruin. So the design should be made in restored function first, before duplicating assets and stripping it down to ruin foundations. The layout shouldn't be too different from how it is now, but the road shouldn't be so highway-ish, and as such the inn wont feel too cramped, perhaps adding a proper entrance with a stairway and balcony. The current Jarl's Longhouse which in reality is the old barracks should have a courtyard, feel smaller, perhaps by removing a floor. The general store and Kraldar's house location is fine. However the backside of the Jarl's Longhouse should be filled when moving the longhouse back a bit to make room for the courtyard. There should also be wrecked gatehouses inspired by the other Winterhold overhaul's, and the backside of the general store should feel reminiscent of a destroyed farm. When restored it should be. Kraldar's house should have its interior re-designed to remove the attic and instead move Kraldar's bedroom to a basement where its warmer. 

The Jarl's longhouse(ruin version) basement should have a update to make it look better with rounder ceilings.

Ivarstead:

The home of the orc and the old nord should have its balcony removed to simplify it and as such create more space.

Windhelm:

I want to add a new district near the Gray Quarter and the Fighting Pits. While many would love to see yet another Dunmer-heavy district I find it hilariously dumb that Windhelm in its vanilla state actually have a majority of Dunmer NPC's if you discount the guard presence. They are supposed to be an oppressed minority which has been segregated to 'one' district. Aside from the Gray Quarters Windhelm only had one other district with residents, which is a more upper-class district. I want to add a more lower-class industrial district with a Temple to Tsun, another inn and majority residents are Nords who hate Dunmers. I find it odd that Windhelm is the racist and intolerant city in Skyrim, and yet aside from Rolf Stonefists most of the residents feel sympathy for the Dunmer, this just doesn't add up. The new district should also have a brothel, perhaps a meadary and a butchery. Maybe a stable as well and a Barracks. It should feel run down but perhaps not as closed-in as the Gray Quarter. 

Access to this new district is through the Arena Lobby which should be renamed to something corresponding to a market, not much unlike the dock tunnel. 

I also wish to add the frozen mill along with its tower that we can see in the concept art. It would go great for a haunted tower questline and should be accessible through the district with the bank. Perhaps either through the bank itself or we can fit in a small walkway next to it.

The Palace should have access to the balcony layers and one of them should hold a building of some kind. Perhaps a training area or something like that. I also wish to add a sewer/tunnel section beneath Windhelm that can be used to both access the city secretly as well as get into various area's like the warehouses and the Palace. Great for vampires or criminal scum.

Whiterun:

I want to add to the farming communities outside of Whiterun. The area near the main gate is already pretty heavy on the system and already possess a lot of detail and buildings, however the Chillfurrow Farm and Battleborn farm do not. Here I want to add a house to Hatir and his mother which was unavailable during the release, and Wintersand Manor which is the home of Nazeem. While Nazeem will still live at the Drunken Huntsman it can at least be argued its to have quicker access to the Jarl. His manor can then be used for multiple quests and thieves. The farming communities can hold barn's, farm worker homes and fields. It will make Whiterun feel bigger while at the same time keeping it as open and easy-going as it is already. I also wish to finish up the water canal tunnels beneath the city, with the exclusion of the quest heavy Horne ruins beneath Whiterun.

Markarth:

I want to add an extension to the Warrens to make it more of a run-down community, as well as add the college of the voice. Now the college should be abandoned and can perhaps be tied in with quests. Naturally I'd prefer to use a tower but that would stick out like a sore-thumb. Perhaps I could add it in the Warrens which would give it some sense as to why its abandoned. Could add notes symbolizing that the Guard Barracks Tower was once the college but it got moved. The college would hold a unique door design. The topside should have some new buildings in the widely open area near the main gate. While tempting I do not want to add a second floor or anything like that. By the gate we'd have plenty of room for a number of new buildings.

Outside of the city there is a wide open area where I want to add some buildings that'd make sense for the city to fill up the space. 

Wintergate:

I have finished the building meshes. I use the Riften building meshes and add hay roofs to them. I remove the windows on the foundation and make the wooden beams feel more pronounced. The refined cut logs are exchanged for grittier logs that look hastily applied. There is also firepit openings in the ceilings. In the windows that remain I have removed the glass as these are in reality just openings for the smoke. I want to add more detail to the town, perhaps move the mine closer to town and add a fence near the backside. I want to add more detail to the village square and logs. The livestock area should be extended to make it less squashed in. 

Amber Guard:

I love the town's layout but not the ceilings of the farmhouses. You could not live like this. The longhouse should have its own design as well, perhaps by removing the windows and adding own texture. Wooden logs instead of proper support-beams with rune carvings. The roofs of the longhouse and perhaps the farm houses as well could have mossy grass instead of the shrubby sticks it has now. 

Lainalten:

I like this town and wish to keep it as it is. I want to however update the inn design which was formerly the Thane's Longhouse. A very small design-change to add broader windows in the Atmorian style on each side as well as access to the gate through the longhouse. I also think I could add more rooms in the interior as the inn itself is after all pressing into the mountainside. 

Lainterdale:

While a part of me want to keep the building style, I don't like the town layout. Perhaps I'll remove some of the buildings. The Inn will remain where it is, as will the Thane's Longhouse, but the other homes should feel less connected to the road. If I do a style re-design I'd want the hay roofs to feel rounder instead of the square on square design.

Side Project:

I want to work on a small side-project alongside development. This is not directly aligned with Holds but will be released as a Holds optional plugin/optional mod on the nexus. The work will be very simple, farm buildings will have their glass windows exchanged for openings with dark interiors with added glow-maps to light up a tiny bit during the night, not a whole lot different from the current window scheme, just without glass. This way the farm buildings look simpler and less modern. For buildings such as inn's and Jarl Longhouses it makes all the sense in the world to me, as the lack of ceiling openings would mean that the smoke would get locked within the building. This would lead to everyone inside choking to death over time... Openings also makes sense from a heat/cold point of view as the windows are near the ceilings and heat rises upwards which would create a climate-lock near the windows keeping the building warm while simultaneously keeping the air breathable. 

The other development will be on the roads in Skyrim that feel far too urbanized. Skyrim is supposed to be a desolate and un-civilized Wilderness, and yet traveling Skyrim feels like riding across the highway between the settlements. By reducing the roads to cart-tracks surrounded by Grass/tundra Grass/Snow/Sulfur/Autumn Grass will make the roads not only feel slimmer, but also less like something that stands out. This will increase the wilderness feeling of the game, as well as make the road-part of the map feel less a part of the landscape. I still wish to keep the road stacks of rocks and etc... That Bethesda added in as they make sense, but the over abundance of dirt surrounding the roads ought to be replaced with Grass/Snow/Sulfur/Autumn Grass.

Below I've listed a to-do list for update 0.0.9 for Holds, which will mark the final level-design update for the project before all development gets shifted towards quest/dialogue development.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------To do List-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generic:

Create clan banner textures and apply them to new tapestry decoration. (Not Started)

Create horn hanging on wall by a strap resource. (Pending)

Create stag horns tied together hanging on the wall as decoration. (Pending)

Create various shields hanging on the wall by a strap as decoration. (Not Started)

Create pale-clay cups. (Pending)

Create Horn drinking cups. (Pending)

Create horn drinking cups holder. (Not Started)

Create wooden tankards in the traditional style. (Pending)

Create Fur blanket for benches, thrones and chairs. (Pending)

Create Shrines to the old Nordic Pantheon. (Not Started)

Apply new decorations in the world. (Not Started)

Create custom priest robe armor for the High Priest in Dawnstar. Complete with a fur vest, and lowerjaw necklace. (Not Started)

Create a custom priest robe armor for the priestesses in Morthal. Complete with fur hangings and bone decorations. (Not Started)

Create a custom priest robe armor for the priests in Windhelm. Complete with tongue necklace and fur. (Not Started)

Create custom swashbuckler armor for pirates and sailors in various designs. (Not Started)

Ask for permission to utilize ear-ring assets for Holds, then apply them in mod. Distribute ear-rings to the Jewelry stores and to selected characters (Not Started)

Create custom guard units for the settlements. Shouldn't look as well-armed and sophisticated as the main city guard units. More simple, like warriors who are either part of the local clan or mercenaries paid to guard the town. (Not Started)

Create new crime factions for each individual settlement with few exceptions. Complete with unique prison situations if your caught, for instance chained to the mountainside in the wilderness, tied to a stake in shallow water to feed the crabs, wooden cage, etc... . (Not Started)

Create law stones. These must come in diverse designs for each Hold but outlines the laws of the settlement. Simple: Do not kill, do not steal, punishments... And maybe some diverse messaging like in Whiterun you pay with livestock's or your life etc... In Stormcloak Holds which stands outside of the law of the Empire, punishments can include Holmgang if there is a disagreement of guilt. These stones do not need to be placed in every Hold, like I don't think its appropriate to find them in Solitude or Winterhold, but definitely Falkreath, Dawnstar, and Morthal. The simpler cities, I do not think they ought to be found in the villages. These should come both in rune stones and carved wood. (Not Started)

Re-evaluate the names of the characters in Holds, many carry far too modern names, and the over-abundance of surnames make the characters less interesting. Consider re-doing names and alternatively adding titles. For an example: Eofor the Calculating. (Not Started)

Side Project:

Re-design the Skyrim roads to have dirt cart tracks rather then rock brick road. This way we can have grass surrounding it and make the roads feel smaller then they appear in the game itself. (Pending)

Re-design the Farm/Riverwood building style by removing the glass windows and implement dark openings instead that light up in the night. This way the Skyrim villages can feel less advanced. This also makes  a great deal of sense in homes that don't have chimneys, as how else would the smoke of the firepits escape out of the building? . (Pending)

Falkreath Hold:

Create custom building assets for Wintergate. (Complete)

Add more detail to Wintergate. (Complete)

Re-design Wintergate interior to fit with the re-design and exterior design of the new village. (Complete)

Add LOD for Wintergate's updated design. (Pending)

Add dirt to the Falkreath stone floors in basements to make it look more shabby. (Complete)

Add more detail to the Falkreath homes. (Pending)

Fix ceilings in Jarl's Longhouse to make them better for the guest rooms. (Complete)

Expand Thane's rooms to make it less broom-closset-ish. (Not Started)

Make sure doors that are supposed to be locked are actually locked. (Pending)

Design for Anise's cabin, it looked like a smokehouse before, now it looks like a proper home. (Complete)

Design Angi's Camp's Cabin. It also looked fairly unlivable, especially in such harsh conditions. Re-designed. (Complete)

Add hay roof to the mill in Riverwood. (Complete)

Add hay roof to the mill in Falkreath. (Complete)

Add hay roof to the mill in Half-moon Mill. (Complete)

Pale Hold:

Re-design Dawnstar by adding stacked Farm(Riverwood generic) rock foundations to the buildings, and then nordify the buildings. Consider removing some of the buildings attics to downsize and give it a more basic look. (Complete)

Re-design Dawnstar's towers, gates and walls by using stacked Farm(Riverwood generic) rock foundations and downsize. Dawnstar will look simpler and not as imposing. (Complete)

Remove the Dark Tower and instead expand the White Hall Longhouse. (Complete)

Expand the Thane rooms to make it less broom-closset-ish. (Pending)

Add more detail to Dawnstar. Log walkways, idols, deer skulls, campfires. (Pending)

Add more detail to the interiors of Dawnstar; Hanging braziers, skulls, shields and horns. (Pending)

Re-design Lainterdale village. (Not Started)

Consider adding fur tapestry door to the stablekeepers hut. (Not Started)

Move Thane's rooms in the Dark Tower to the Jarl's Longhouse. (Pending)

Move Dawnstar Jail to Jarl's Longhouse and re-design it to use the stacked stone texture and design. (Pending)

Add more detail to Thian's Keep, training yard, make the White Hall Longhouse have greater detail in its exterior. (Pending)

Add more detail to the Jarl's Longhouse, make it so that the Throne is actually in the longhouse rather then the tower, add more fancy details such as dragon carvings and etc.. Within the longhouse. Make it look more like a place you'd want to be in. (Complete)

Create a frozen cave system beneath Dawnstar that is used by the Dark Brotherhood, rather then the straight forward teleport quick exit used otherwise. (Not Started)

Fix windows in Dawnstar both interior and exterior. Windows shouldn't allow complete see through as this leads to issues like seeing through the building on the side, or other problems. Add a glow-map for interior and exterior that will change over time of the day. This way you can see dimly lit up windows in the night, and light openings clouded by light from the inside during the day. (Not Started)

Add hay roof to the mill in Anga's Mill. (Complete)

Whiterun Hold:

Add Nazeem's longhouse, Wintersand Manor near Chillfurrow Farm. (Complete)

Create interior for Wintersand Manor, based off of the Hearthfire Longhouse. (Pending)

Add Hatir's house near Chillfurrow Farm. (Complete)

Add more of a community near Chillfurrow Farm and the Battleborn Farm to make these farms a bit more extensive. (Complete)

Add Barn's and stables to the farming communities. (Complete)

Finish the Whiterun water canals. (Not Started)

Fix sandbox loop for the Jarl's Thanes in Whiterun, they march past the longhouse and up to the Jarl's quarters then around again, its comical but silly. (Complete)

Fix navmesh near the Jarl's Palace behind the Talos statue. Lots of NPC's tend to get stuck here. (Complete)

Fix pathing for Whiterun NPC's, they walk up to the bank but does not enter and instead walks around. Its silly. (Complete)

Add NPC's to the extended farming community, but assign AI packages that does not make it a choking point, considering that the gates which is nearby is already pretty heavy. (Complete)

Hjaalmarch Hold:

Create new building assets for Morthal. (Complete)

Re-design leveldesign of Morthal. (Complete)

Finish the Morthal Inn's basement, storage warehouse. (Pending)

Finish Morihaus's barrow. (Pending)

Finish the bowels of Highmoon Hall. (Pending)

Add new NPC's and apply new AI packages. (Complete)

Create Thane Clan's for Hjaalmarch. (Complete)

Re-design interior of Seer's hut in Stonehills, add hanging bones and crystal stone etc... . (Not Started)

Add hay roof to the mill in Morthal. (Complete)

Winterhold Hold:

Create new building asset for Winterhold. (Complete)

Create a Winterhold restored worldspace for future quest usage using the new building assets. (Complete)

Create duplicates of building assets and tear them down to create ruins. (Pending)

Re-design the leveldesign of Winterhold using these assets. (Complete)

Re-design the Winterhold Jarl's Castle making it less generic. (Complete)

Re-design Winterhold interiors to fit with the new design and design philosophy. (Not Started)

Add more detail to Winterhold's ruins and interiors. (Pending)

Eastmarch Hold:

Add a new district to the east of the Fighting Pit, accessible through the Arena lobby which should be re-named to reference a sort of market interior. District should be a sort of industrial district with one brothel, one tavern, one temple to Tsun, one Barracks, and homes. (Complete)

Finish designing the new world-space in Windhelm, the new district. (Complete)

Apply the design in the Tamriel world-space for LOD and exterior design purposes. (Complete)

Add interiors and design them for the new district. (Not Started)

Re-design the Arena Lobby to make the new world-space reachable. (Pending)

Add new NPC's to the new location and create AI packages for the corresponding characters. (Not Started)

Add underground tunnels like a form of sewer that expands around the city with secret entrances etc... The tunnels should lead to some interesting secret passages like.. secret entrance to Palace of Kings and so on. (Not Started)

Add more Thane Clan's to Windhelm. (Not Started)

Add exterior balcony area's outside of Windhelm (These area's already exists but make them accessible and interesting). (Not Started)

Add frozen watermill in Windhelm with a long winding bridge leading to it, haunted mill tower needs interesting interior design. (Not Started)

Consider changing the bridge to Windhelm to look more fitting for Windhelm's design. (Not Started)

Add hay roof to the mill in Mixwater Mill. (Complete)

Haafingar Hold:

Create a custom statue of Magnus Septim (liberator of Solitude from the wolf queen), a statue of a man with a kite shield holding a raised scroll/or something else symbolizing liberation while standing over the corpse of a dead crowned wolf. (Not Started)

Add an interior to the secondary Brothel in Solitude in the walkway. (Not Started)

Add interior to the gate warehouse. (Not Started)

Add toy-makers interior. (Not Started)

Finish Solitude sewer by adding the remaining portions to link them all up together. Sewer should have a separate exit and it should also run beneath the docks to make it extensive enough and useful for criminals/vampires etc.. / does not require to hold the interiors for the criminal clans beneath, or the tombs, but the sewer should be extensive and hooked up. (Not Started)

Add NPC's to the new corresponding locations as well as a child to the gate smithy. (Not Started)

Fix lean on railing furniture near the gate, it does not look right. (Complete)

Add new ground mesh for the dock tunnel which includes drainage downwards. (Not Started)

Add windows to the Sailor's Red Rose Brothel where its logical. (Not Started)

Add custom thinner weapons to the Breton Blacksmith in the Solitude Dock Tunnel. (Pending)

Fix bug at Solitude docks, workers and sailors don't go on the dock pier, and so it feels really empty. (Not Started)

Add hay roof to the mill in Dragonbridge. (Complete)

Rift Hold:

Look over and fix possible design issues. (Pending)

Add new farmhouse without balcony for the old nord and his orc wife in Ivarstead. (Pending)

Add hay roof to the mill in Ivarstead. (Complete)

Reach Hold:

Add more buildings to Markarth, where it is appropriate. (Not Started)

Add more buildings to the outside of the city to fill up the empty space. (Not Started)

Add new NPC's to these new buildings. (Not Started)

Add underground canals beneath the city. (Not Started)

Add College of the Voice ruin somewhere in Markarth. Utilize the un-used fancy door for this building. Consider utilizing a tower or something similiar, if we use somewhere else we could reveal through notes/quests/dialogue that the guard tower was once the college of the voice before it was moved and eventually disbanded. (Not Started)

Expand the Warrens. / Possible consideration for College of the Voice location, if we don't go with a tower or something. (Not Started)

Add Thane Clan's to the Reach. (Not Started)

Re-design Karthwasten Longhouse. (Not Started)

Fix some design issues in Karthwasten Inn. (Not Started)

Create Flattened Nord-Face figurine and apply it to the Karthwasten Inn. (Not Started)

Create Wooden Nordic Mask decoration and apply it to Karthwasten as decoration. (Not Started)

Consider re-designing Hroldan Inn to make it look more ancient and interesting. Perhaps adding some stone foundations. (Not Started)

Consider re-designing Amber Guard building style. The Longhouse should look and feel different from Jorrvaskr, and the home buildings don't look very habitable. Consider giving some grassy roofs and removing windows to make them more hutt-like. (Not Started)

Consider adding custom inn building style for Lainalten. Not a great deviant from the Riverwood farm generic style but still different. (Not Started)

• reaction_title_1 1

As for Dawnstar I have come to like the rocky desgin and it feels much like a unic stapel of the city, the cold harsh rocks feel like the strong harsh boot the warriors have over the towns inhabitence and its unic integration whit lawlessness is somehow comuincated threw theise, I know you are well aware of the lore and have always updated the citys too look better in the past, so I trust whatever you deside will most likly turn out great, but I am just a bit concerened in Brightening up the tone of the city as the dark looming feel fits the Dawnstar thats there. if the same hopeless feel can be achived whit this new more viking esk style, then Im all for it. however I don't want the effect achived by the city to be abolished.

Morthal on the other hand is completly fine in its planed design and I have no coments to make, I agree whit all preposed changes as it fits the lore and feel very well, prehaps a more stonehage feeling location could be added for the priestess. but this might not be nessesary unless used for worship.

as for winterhold it is my favorit city and the plans made sounds good in my book the new roofs will defently add a unic feel for the city, however I feel the ciril design should take the parts of the city that are now gone into considuration to ensure the feel is good, Wood should also be very rare outside of lived in homes, as I don't belive the jarl would spend much time whit the upkeep of wood in parts of the city that arn't lived in. also the magic pits should prehaps be dectivated whit an exception of the final act of the collage questline where the collage is under attack where they can be activated to create a feel over overflowing magic. all other plans for the city is fine, however I think you should add prehaps 5-10 new npcs if not more that are planned to live in the restored city, they are found or come to the city as results of diffrent completed quests or events and over time populate the city, rather then all returning at once. once the city is restored it should have a more sizebal population off prehaps 20 npcs more then currently. to ensure it feels like its not just a gaint empty city.

Windhelm changes I all agree whit, however due to the nature of the city and its history the "sewer" should either be or dubel as a sort of tomb, seeing as its the oldest city in skyrim and it has a history of tombs and burring people this would fit. preahps they added sewer functions to the tomb under the city, or they just don't have one and threw their shit out on the street as done in medivel times.

Whiterun I once agien have no coments on all ideas are good and solid as they are.

Markarth I think you could add the collage of wispers high up in the mountence looking down on the city, and be accessebal by a dungeon, preahps the reason it was abandoned was becose the jarl desided it wasn't worth the trubel of keeping the dwemmer tunnels clear all the way up to it, and he bared up the gate and called it a gate, and its up to you the dragonborn to clear access up to it once more. it shouldn't be completly visebal but you should see hints of it looking up into the mountence above the city.

I would love to help on any writing needed if you need notes or books or dialogs I'd be more then happy to help, also I will write and submit ideas and quest ideas aswell as prehaps entire conversations and dialogs for your considuration.

I have not made a decision as of yet on Dawnstar, only saying that I am considering it. I think stacked rocks as we see in Falkreath, coupled with the bleak wood design could still create a very cold feeling, while simultaneously giving that viking wibe we're going for in terms of the culture and quest-lines of the location. I imagine esspecially the inn would benefit from a broader and thicker rock foundation, same with the longhouse. The big gate and the walls surrounding Thian's keep would also benefit from this design in my opinion. Either way this will likely be the last thing I do. Meanwhile I'll be focusing on the other things in the list. But please forward opinions! :)

I agree with you on the Windhelm comment, wont be sewers per say but tunnels, tomb area's, secret passage ways and so on. The city was built by Snow Elven slaves and could hold a plethora of secrets!

I think in Morthal the cemetery would be their place of worship, or perhaps the Jarl's courtyard. I want to go for a very pagan wibe with Morthal and as I'm constructing that the Jarl herself has ties to this priesthood I want to add some stuff to the Jarl's basement that governs worship. But as for sermons these should be held outdoors giving a very nature-orientated/Celtic-paganism theme to the town.

I finished re-designing Wintergate's exterior today, here are a few screencaps.

cY7U4AP.jpg

jS9Xhgw.jpg

4CxvmNT.jpg

xYzoaXo.jpg

ocwhAj0.jpg

szXXCsj.jpg

fMad3Uh.jpg

UaUYKEZ.jpg

RRaFHql.jpg

The design change is very simple. I've removed the windows from the foundation level and thus made it completely thick logs to stamp out the cold. Then adding openings near the ceilings to allow the heat to escape. The roofs have been given the hay-roof treatment and I personally think it looks really good. The support beams have been replaced with wooden logs to simplify the design. The village itself now has a lot more meat on it. Instead of open stretches of snow leading down from the village we have rocky mountainous position along with some more shrubbery. The old stable has been removed as it makes little sense for it to be there and the livestock pen has been expanded. There are more detail to the city itself such as more interactive objects, skulls, fur pelts, barrels etc... Would love to get some feedback on this as I start focusing on the interior design.

From what I see on the screenshots the village looks great, the new design lends a unique look, the only issue I see from the screenshots is that the mountain itself looks a bit baren whit all the added rocks surrounding the village, but if that was to be fixed then perhaps rocks would be added too all of Skyrim... and that's not very realistic fix. other than that the houses now look like they are unique for this location and I wouldn't even consider them Riften houses unless I knew they were based on it.

Perhaps a back door to the house next to the smithy, as that guy has to go around his entire house any time he wishes to go out doing anything. it's not completely necessary but it would be a nice small edition as people are often lazy and can do a big project like adding a back door to their home just to cut a few seconds off their daily rutin.

Edited by wrenik

Since last update I've wrapped up Chillfurrow farm, I will post screenshots of it when I've wrapped up Wintersand manor's interior.

Sorry for the long period between update screenshots. I've finished an alpha version of Morthal. I'll post screenshots of both the interiors and exteriors below. The buildings are in custom made design that mirrors the vanilla design, mostly because I enjoyed the vanilla design but still want it to feel different to other cities. Morthal is supposed to give this very gloomy and harsh atmosphere while simultaneously having this very Nordic theme. There are about 15 buildings in total, and the city will be the only town except Winterhold (Pre-restoration) which is an open city. Aside from the houses the city also sports a great deal of hut's in various designs, a hidden barrow to Morihaus, and a hay roof to the mill. The Jarl's longhouse now has a courtyard with two runestones. The city is fully navmeshed, quest targets and markers have been moved to fit with the new design, and the interiors are all decorated. I have yet to create new NPC's but that will be the next step. I still have two interiors to do: The Morihaus Barrow and a basement to the Highmoon Hall where the Dragonborn can find Thane's as well as the priesthood of Morthal. 

This is very early in design development so I'd appreciate feedback on the design :) The city also sports its own unique doors and custom snow on roofs. 

PW0MPyd.jpg
AjL7u7L.jpg
yk7ZJZF.jpg
nkH4eYk.jpg
zgLcMic.jpg
jyr9xpD.jpg
o2iULtt.jpg
tx5zO7S.jpg
Sc4k3b7.jpg
J5ivlas.jpg
r1ZXfyO.jpg
3VWSVWP.jpg
YQA0jpi.jpg
XnyEirr.jpg
V1NZbXN.jpg
T2Pw00O.jpg
Tklem6G.jpg
9n6oRuV.jpg
VpOfHol.jpg
VE25O1z.jpg
9yaQdMm.jpg
pOOP4wA.jpg
SoIp9ri.jpg
AnfFdO3.jpg
O0HmC19.jpg

Interiors:

kNN2Tby.jpg
5m9Suia.jpg
FjJuYsI.jpg
3N0MwMT.jpg
imaP8rk.jpg
dHCYEhG.jpg
gH3Ukw2.jpg
pZ9S5OK.jpg
ImkEy7q.jpg
AKzSEso.jpg
TZFRnWj.jpg
Xi0nkAW.jpg
D9KitAV.jpg
xnRUWmz.jpg
VuvzlFg.jpg
KBNYo7s.jpg
LIxwUSq.jpg
7Uo2maQ.jpg
gVMAvly.jpg

• Like 1

Morthal looks great. It's close enough to vanilla to give a sense of continuity of design, but it's also Just different enough to feel unique. Small variations like this are nice. This also goes for places like Falkreath and Dawnstar. They can - and Should - have some similarities. Small variations can be enough to make them feel unique.

This is why I really like that you've dispersed some of Skyrim's more unique assets amongst the other towns. I always thought that was one of Skyrim's greatest design flaws. Not only were 95% of the buildings copy/pasted from the same assets, but the the remaining 5% were So unique that they felt out of place. Whiterun, for example, looks beautiful. But even in Whiterun hold, there are no other towns which borrow from the design at all. Strange.

On a different note, I'm sure you've seen the mod before, but I always thought that the "Sky City" mod - by the same modder as "Snow City, Windhelm" - had the right idea for Markarth. There's not a lot of room to add buildings on the horizontal plain of that world space, so build up instead. Do that, and build residencies deeper Into the Dwemer structures in the mountains, and Markarth will be a very different experience from the other cities.

One final thought. Have you ever looked at the mod, "Snowy AF Windhelm?" According to the lore, Windhelm is supposed to be Skyrim's snowiest city. I didn't expect much from the mod, but I was amazed at what a difference it really made to the feel of the city. Maybe it's an idea you'd like to incorporate into your Windhelm?

I always liked the vanilla design of Morthal, and I kinda felt that any design update had to differentiate it while still keeping it as small and simple as possible. :)
I still haven't quite decided on how to do Markarth aside from the exterior of the city and the market, but something to think about. Though I think if I add another level it will only be one level.

I have! Strange as it may sound I kind of like both the snowy version and the muddy one. I was thinking about this while wrapping up the Windhelm new district exterior. I thought it'd be cool with a MCM menu where the player can switch snowy WIndhelm on or off. Seeing as Windhelm uses static objects for landscape it could easily be done through a disable enable system.

Would you consider integrating "Historic Markarth"? The mod author was unable to continue work due to health reasons so made it freeuse.

Id say its the most lorefriendly and grounded markarth overhaul, not to mention would fit alongside Holds nicely.

On 12/20/2017 at 1:47 AM, Galandil said:

I always liked the vanilla design of Morthal, and I kinda felt that any design update had to differentiate it while still keeping it as small and simple as possible. :)
I still haven't quite decided on how to do Markarth aside from the exterior of the city and the market, but something to think about. Though I think if I add another level it will only be one level.

I have! Strange as it may sound I kind of like both the snowy version and the muddy one. I was thinking about this while wrapping up the Windhelm new district exterior. I thought it'd be cool with a MCM menu where the player can switch snowy WIndhelm on or off. Seeing as Windhelm uses static objects for landscape it could easily be done through a disable enable system.

That's a great idea. I hope you end up doing that. Though, would it be difficult to have things like idle markers change as well?

It would be fun if you could somehow implement a dynamic change in snow levels throughout the city, but I imagine that would be a nightmare both script-wise and compatibility-wise.

Either way, keep up the good work man. I'm looking forward to the next release.

Edit: Another thought that just came to me.  Maybe the redesign of Dawnstar could contain some Bruma-esque architecture.  It's odd that Bruma is described as Nordic in design, and yet none of the Skyrim cities bear any resemblance to it.  The only issue is that Bruma is a bit of a mix of Nordic and Cyrodiilian culture, so the old Nordic city of Dawnstar may not be the Perfect place to borrow from its style.  Still, it would be nice to see some continuity between Bruma and Somewhere.

Edited by Tate
Edited to avoid double-posting.

Happy new year everyone, I hope everyone is doing well. I don't know about you but I intend to make the most of 2018, especially where as Holds is concerned.

Its been a while since I've posted the work I've been doing so I figured I'd supply some screenshots I just took below and to explain my progress as well as where I am curious as to what others might think.

I've been spending the past 2 weeks working on Winterhold which is easier said then done. I want to keep a magical fantasy theme but I also know it needs to be consistent with Skyrim and the college. More so I also want to Nordify it a bit as one of the main criticisms of Holds at launch was that the cities felt too out of place in Skyrim. I've decided to go for a combination of Hogsmeade, the small village near Hogwarts and a nordic longhouse feel. The buildings consist entirely of stone though I am still contemplating adding wood here and there to at least give it some color. Seeing as the city alongside the college was formed from a whispered spell (Allegedly), it needs to be consistent with the design of the college and not deviate too much. 

I decided to go for the scaley roof tiles also used in Whiterun and to apply the darker ones found on the temple of Kynareth, this makes sense in my opinion as the more desert, flat roof with banisters would not make any sense in a nordic country. You'd risk having your ceiling cave in due to the snow that would form on top. I also want to add house dragons, the very typical nordic carved shapes that adorned ships and homes in early Scandinavia to really solidify the city as a Nordic city. However I also want it to feel very alien to the rest of the province. Face-shaped fountains, walled in corridors for farming, stone pavement, statues and plants. Long stretching towers and oddly shaped adornments, libraries and temples to Jhunal, who the other Nords would stop worshiping, yet revered in Winterhold. Winterhold would also be one of the many major cities who still venerated the Nordic Pantheon over the Imperial Pantheon before the collapse. The magical braziers that we see on the bridge to the college could also be present in the park-area's of the city as it really adds an aesthetic in my opinion.

I've decided to scrap "The Jarl's Castle" approach to the Jarl's Longhouse and instead go for a proper barracks, which is initially is supposed to be. A former barracks that the Jarl turned into his longhouse after the great collapse.

I am creating the pre-collapse versions of the buildings and walls first though. So if the buildings feel a little clean this is why.

Winterhold Early Beta(New restored Buildings)

XzMNYVn.jpg
Sb0c5QF.jpg
VQMmje7.jpg
QSaCG6x.jpg
pI9e41o.jpg

I have also been busy working on Windhelm's new district which lies north of the greyquarter and east of the Palace of Kings. To get to this new district you will have to cross through the arena lobby which I will re-dub a market or something or other. The design will consist but also include a way down to this new district. I have yet to find a new name for this district. The old District/Town, The Rune District.. But I figured it consists mainly of lower to middle class Nord workers and warriors, a temple to the old gods which is a stark contrast to the temple of the divines in Solitude, a bath-house and a tavern/meadhouse. I do intend to do more with Windhelm, add the frozen watermill as well as a wizards tower for the Jarl's court wizard. Perhaps do something to the balcony area's near the Palace of Kings.

Windhelm new district (Name pending):

NTRAdH1.jpg
9WryIDV.jpg
mitQYM7.jpg
Me902Gs.jpg
PuhOiKt.jpg
VkL7xqD.jpg
TrG3ILr.jpg
uvhAFoH.jpg
zSCFT1b.jpg
o3Ego7W.jpg

I've also been working on some side additions. Anise's Cabin and Angi's Camp have always bothered me. The Skyrim Shack Building Kit really works for the smokehouses, the storage houses, but as a home? Not only are they a little "Ikea"'ishly built, but they also lack the minimum necessities for facilitating life in a harsh environment. Anise's cabin for instance has an opening right above her head, if it rains... Well shes going to get soaked. There is also no fire in her home. Now its thatched properly and in my opinion adds a more fitting look to how I'd imagine a witches cabin in the woods to look like.

Anise's Cabin:

oojT8M6.jpg

I also did this for Angi's camp. At first I thought to go crazy with rocks as its the closest resource I'd imagine she'd use to build herself a cabin, but then I decided that this could very well be a family cabin or something she built over time while staying at Wintergate. There are also surrounding tree's. 

Angi's Camp:

Ge0AVfh.jpg
ojNEK1l.jpg
QOtPlNw.jpg

weweeww

I also want to note that I have been made aware that the mod author of Birds of Skyrim have granted permission to anyone to utilize his birds, well -His- Birds, not the ones by other authors. I've spoken with Steve40 who ported his content to the Special Edition and I am excited to utilize his crows and pigeon's :) Messenger Ravens like in Game of Thrones, and crows perching to really add that creep-wibe. This really opens up a lot of neat ways to add to the design and feel of the provinces, as well as delve into some interesting story prospects that are influenced by Norse Mythology where Ravens such as Huginn and Muninn can be utilized. 

I would greatly appreciate some feedback, everything shown is very early in development so please be precise and give me as much to work with as possible. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • reaction_title_1 1

This all looks very impressive. Winterhold, in particular, is looking great. It's almost a shame that there will have to be a "ruined" version. Though, I'm interested to see how you'll mix the remaining stone aesthetic in the west part of the town with the simpler, wooden buildings that will go on the east side post-collapse. Integrating a docks area with this would also be interesting, as you could go either way with the aesthetic or create a ruined version of them too. (Crushed and washed away by the collapse.)

Putting in a bathhouse is a good idea - clearly, the people won't be washing in the freezing waters outside the city - but I'm not sure if it fits in a lower class district. It seems like it would either be a luxurious thing on the rich side of town or more centralized near the inn. But it could work if the old temple, bathhouse, and possibly the meadhouse feel separate enough from the rest of the district and are closer to the arena.

I've been following this project since your first release on Oldrim, and I have to say that it's amazing to see how far your design and texturing abilities have come along since then. This new Winterhold is a huge improvement, and I would say the same about your most recent update to Falkreath. Everything just fits better. A first time player could walk through these cities and have no idea they were modded. They look like they Should have looked. Great work.

Hello.  I am glad that project is not dead.

New Winterhold looks even better than old version. I've heard that you are creating whole pre-collapse Winterhold. Do you plan to implement some kind of "Winterhold rebuild" quest or utilize smiliar existing mod? Your project is great, but it definitely need some soul - specifically dialogues and interactions with npc.
I am thinking about writing some lore and dialogues for your project, i've got some ideas about Amber Guard, but it will pointless if, for example, Amber Guard or other area is already covered. So, i will be glad to help you in that matter and if you agree i am ready to work. I know that i should write it in "recruitment" section, but i do not wish to become part of team, i just want to write something for this amazing project,

"Consider re-designing Amber Guard building style. The Longhouse should look and feel different from Jorrvaskr, and the home buildings don't look very habitable. Consider giving some grassy roofs and removing windows to make them more hutt-like. (Not Started)"

I thinkt that roof of Longhouse is just fine as it is. It is said that Jorrvaskr was built from Companion's longbout. Same could be with longhouse of Amber Guard. Members of Axesong Clan claim that Amber Guard was founded by one of Companions and his crew, who sailed upstream river Karth kiling every Falmer he met. When he reached rocky thresholds, he decided to set up camp upon nearby hill and his longbout was his first shelter.  

Edited by Anatheme Bouffon

While we also want to approach rebuilding Winterhold through the use of the Architects guild and Builders Guild, we thought we'd also feature quests going back and seeing the city before the collapse, and in conclusion of our Winterhold extended quest we'd offer a chance to fix Winterhold through the same spell Shalidor used. :) 

I kinda imagined the docks being against the glacial walls with small cave-ins leading up to the surface. I think it'd be a cool concept as well as differentiate it from Windhelm, solitude and Dawnstar.

The Windhelm district is still in its early development, and while its a middle-lower class district, the bath house would be close to the Temple, so I feel like it sort of makes sense. Might move it though I cannot imagine where. Not like we could fit it in Valunstrad. :( The temple has its own little area, by the tree. This is also where I imagined the bath being so it might work, though I agree that it might fit better in a wealthier part of town.

I have created dialogue for all the major cities except Dawnstar. We did delegate settlements between ourselves but other priorities have been taken. I am working on the leveldesign and many of the others either lost interest or have real life commitments to focus on. We will definitely have quests, guilds, extensions to vanilla content and dialogue in the future, it is in progress but it will not be ready when we release 0.0.9.

I'd be happy to welcome you along, but I'd have to ask that you post a sample of your work in the recruitment section so I can see your work. It is also how we keep tabs on who's working in the project.
https://www.darkcreations.org/forums/forum/1275-recruitment/

I feel that the longhouse is too similar to Jorrvaskr which should feel unique. I'm focusing on Winterhold right now so its just an idea, but I do want to make it stand out, add different wood, perhaps add grass or hay to the roof, something I'd imagine being necessary to thatch it properly and prevent rain or snow from soaking up the warriors :) I did write lore for Amber Guard and they did indeed pull their ship all the way to their settlement and made it their longhouse. Even so, I feel like its a shame not to differentiate the settlements.

I'm just curious, you stated that Winterhold could be fix using the same spell shaildor used, which one is that exactly, and the windhelm arena, are you gonna give like a new name and expand on it or will it just remain the pits

The Windhelm arena will remain the Windhelm Pit, however the interior you have to cross to get to it, has a lot of vendors, an arena organizer, need to be renamed so that it makes sense that the interior also leads to the new district. 

I do not know what spell Shalidor used, some theorize that he used a similar form of magic like the left-handed elves used to build their empire, others speculate it is an exaggeration of his power. Shalidor was as far as I'm aware the most powerful wizard that ever was, and he achieved this by using something known as the Glamoril, which was taken from Akatosh himself. The Glamoril allowed Shalidor to live three lives at once, or act as three people at once, enhance an individuals capabilities beyond their mortal limitations, or live multiple lifespans over a short period of time. Its very nonsensical but I speculate  this as Shalidor gaining the ability to exceed ordinary mortal limitations. Though that is purely my speculation. It should also be said that it stands as fact that Shalidor built the Labyrinthian, I doubt this means the entire city of Brumjunaar which is the ruined arena surrounding it, but the weirdly hourglass shaped maze that can be found within. While I personally don't find ESO to be a... errr.. canon source of lore for the RPG series, the MMO crafts a story where Shalidor has also created a realm called the Eyevea. So it is plainly clear that Shalidor has the capacity to do things thought the realm of impossibility to an ordinary mage. Creating things from thought and to then materialize it. 

The idea I had was that once you've completed the extension story-line to the college of Winterhold and have explored the fortress of ice, the player can find clues and by utilizing artifacts found through out the journey can piece together enough magicka to cast the spell and once again restore Winterhold to its wholesome state. 

• Like 1

So far, I like the concepts that are being brought into 0.0.9. The cabins for Anise and Angi feel like proper homes this time around and Windhelm is given a middle/low-class district that greatly integrates into the city proper. While I can see a bit with the pictures of Winterhold’s restored buildings, the darkened image prevents me from giving a much more critical input. I would love to see what it looks like during daytime so I can gain further insight on the city design. The only criticism I can give is that I think the roofs need more flair, a dragonhead or some other Nordic designs to make it stand out a bit more.

I am glad to hear that Winterhold’s reconstruction will be dedicated to the Architects/Crafters Guild. It could be argued that the Prospector’s Society will have a heavy influence in the project as well if marble or stone is used in the buildings. However, I have to admit I am concerned about bringing a lot of spells into the reconstruction project. I do admit that Winterhold’s culture seems to be heavily tied into magic, but I would prefer avoiding the prospect of rebuilding the entirety of the city with a bunch of ancient spells. It seems… far-fetched, at best. According to the Elder Scrolls wiki, Shalidor is believed to have constructed the Labrynthian by himself and Winterhold with but a whispered spell, but these claims appear to be heavily contentious to academics. If we do adopt a spell that allows the rebuilding of Winterhold, it would have to be an extremely powerful one that cannot be casted by your average mage. I hope that there would be an alternative path that fits for non-magic-focused players.

Hi , hello it's me, mario! - No, not really.. just Cailan from the Nexus Forum. ^^

So first of all, thank you for the invitation! :) Nice to get the 100% dose of the Holds-Project. aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh feels good man. :D

Wintergate looks very esthetically pleasing and fits perfect into the harsh, cold Skyrimworld!

Morthal: Here i want to point out, that you really did a great job so far (yes, i am aware most things are alpha or beta :P). I especially like the decent style and the round houses. They give the town a unique feel of something in between primitve, celtic, bewitched and "alchemically". Somewhere a Druid would feel at home. :) The hay roofs substantiate this hole feeling.

But it wouldn't be a constructive criticism, if there wasn't be any ideas / suggestions. 

First of all the bridge: Imo it doens't fit the hole feeling of the town. The massive stone-bridge separates the hole town and stands out too much. Maybe some drawbridge or mixture of stone and wood (foundation stone, everything other wood) would help?

Then the fishing theme: As far as i saw, you add some nets with fish hanging in it  (great idea btw), BUT the hole theme drownes. There are many "cutters" but no one carries fish or something like that in it. Aren't there "water-nets" as worldobjects in the Creationkit? Maybe, just maybe, you could add some of those?

The sawmill-area: i really, REALLY like the new two little round-houses. But the hole area seems so "unsafe". Maybe you could add something to help there out like either: a gate, a fence, stones, a few more houses? 

The area of Jarl's house: the idea of the rune-stones is awesome. But why there has to be a goat-area? Without it, it would could look more "symmetrical". The center should be the stage-way to the entrance. (Idea. Add the goats to the sawmill-area? or near the tavern?)

The burned down house-area: My idea is to break/interrupt the wooden path to it. So it feels more abandoned. (Add a dead tree in front of the house? idk ^^)

The Atmosphere: ages ago, about 2012/13? idk, i wanted to do a mod for Morthal myself but messed up and didn't enhance my skills further. But my idea for the atmosphere was, to underline the gloomy feelig - especially at night. I added a big, old tree (the Witherun one) rescaled it (made it smaller) and added hanging moss to it. This one you really dont need to transfer. :D

But i also added more mist and to intensify this for the nights, i added some scattered lanterns, hanging random from ropes between the buildings. I also added some empty bottles and other misc around the pool infront of the tavern. And wanted to add some drunken dudes, lurching around the tavern. 

As far as i can see, you added a blacksmith to the "empty house".  I really hoped so. I asked myself years ago too: why didn't they add a blacksmith there? My old idea was to let him work there and sleep on a bigger boat near the house. But i really dont know, why i got this idea. :D 

The last point about atmo is the moss. Its a cold and soggy area. Perfect for moss. So, maybe, you could think about either add a some green to the wooden houses or hay roofs? Just some immersive ideas throwing around. And you already have much in works, so don't get bothered my friend. 

Winterhold i will comment later - i really think this was enough from me at the moment :D 

Edited by Cailan

4 hours ago, Gahrotgoltfus said:

So far, I like the concepts that are being brought into 0.0.9. The cabins for Anise and Angi feel like proper homes this time around and Windhelm is given a middle/low-class district that greatly integrates into the city proper. While I can see a bit with the pictures of Winterhold’s restored buildings, the darkened image prevents me from giving a much more critical input. I would love to see what it looks like during daytime so I can gain further insight on the city design. The only criticism I can give is that I think the roofs need more flair, a dragonhead or some other Nordic designs to make it stand out a bit more.

I am glad to hear that Winterhold’s reconstruction will be dedicated to the Architects/Crafters Guild. It could be argued that the Prospector’s Society will have a heavy influence in the project as well if marble or stone is used in the buildings. However, I have to admit I am concerned about bringing a lot of spells into the reconstruction project. I do admit that Winterhold’s culture seems to be heavily tied into magic, but I would prefer avoiding the prospect of rebuilding the entirety of the city with a bunch of ancient spells. It seems… far-fetched, at best. According to the Elder Scrolls wiki, Shalidor is believed to have constructed the Labrynthian by himself and Winterhold with but a whispered spell, but these claims appear to be heavily contentious to academics. If we do adopt a spell that allows the rebuilding of Winterhold, it would have to be an extremely powerful one that cannot be casted by your average mage. I hope that there would be an alternative path that fits for non-magic-focused players.

I agree, we will be adding Dragon-heads or.. something to spice it up a bit. I did add some roof-windows to Kraldar's house yesterday to make them a bit less plain, I will see what I can do with the rest. Dragon-heads will likely be the last touch I do though as right now I'm still developing the buildings and piecing together their position.

Its an idea I have for the ending of the extension to the college of Winterhold. The quests to rebuild Winterhold is separate, and if the player chooses he or she can neglect bringing back the city with magic. The idea is that while completing the extensions you've run a-foul of various magical trinkets and artifacts which hold great power, these are required to cast the spell as you would otherwise not be able to. For me at least, I think it would be a nice tie-up of the story and bring that extra bit of magic into the picture. Your taking on Shalidor's legacy, it follows that you walk in his footsteps. Its like the Lich-form in the Undeath mod quest, you can choose and you need to do things correctly, if you neglect or falter in a step then the big wrapped present at the end will be locked to you. 

If you've spent time with the architects guild and built up Winterhold to the best of your ability, it is reasonable to think that all that hard work shouldn't go to waste and as such keep it. This is but an alternative that I think really works with the magical theme I'm going for in the extension :) I will also make it so that you cannot really go on with the extension quests if your not willing to learn or use magic, if that's outside the Dragonborn's expertise then its a quest-line he cannot follow, I may also want to change it a bit with the Arch Mage part of the story to also require some bare minimum of magical training and understanding. Being able to shout is great and all, but if all you can do is cast a simple Ward from that one lesson with Tolfdir, your not Arch Mage material.

It is heavily theorized that it is an exaggeration of his power, and yet I do not think so. The college itself is far too modern looking compared to the rest of Skyrim, it has magical fumes coming out of the ground and clearly also have magical wards which protected it from the great collapse. Had Shalidor simply hired a bunch of builders to do the work I doubt it would've turned out as great as it did, it is far beyond what we can see in Nordic ruins or even fourth era Skyrim cities, the only real rival I can think of are the elven cities of the Summerset Isle's. Shalidor also created an island realm, Eyevea which also speaks to his power, this is confirmed in ESO but since ESO is pretty lackluster in its lore I can understand why we might dismiss it outright. But it does show that as far as the writers on the Elder Scrolls are concerned, he does exceed what mages can do. There is also the Ice Fortress which is absent in Skyrim but I figured had a great deal of magical properties and as such is hidden. I'd imagine Shalidor built this structure as well. 

The only real other mention of his powers I can think of is that at some point Shalidor came face to face with the Rourken Dwemer clan and fought them in battle. The leader of the Rourken clan carried the spellbreaker and Shalidor was so impressed by its ability to nullify his spells he created a spell called Shalidor's mirror which casts the spell that it is hit by directly back at the caster, thus trying to mimic the Daedric artifact. This spell exists in Morrowind and the earlier TES games, and the battle between Shalidor and a bunch of Dwemer Exiles have been written about as well, whether a great deal about Shalidor is an exaggeration or not he clearly seems to have been very capable and a step above most mages of his time. I try to compare his accomplishments with the likes of Mannimarco, Davyth Fyr or Vanus Galerion and they all come up short, and these are mages most would instinctively think of as the greatest mages to ever have walked Tamriel. Perhaps there are mages from the Summerset Isle's we have yet to hear about or.. Something, but thus far, it appears that the dumbest race on Tamriel has produced the most accomplished mage in Tamriel's history :P

4 hours ago, Cailan said:

Hi , hello it's me, mario! - No, not really.. just Cailan from the Nexus Forum. ^^

So first of all, thank you for the invitation! :) Nice to get the 100% dose of the Holds-Project. aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh feels good man. :D

Wintergate looks very esthetically pleasing and fits perfect into the harsh, cold Skyrimworld!

Morthal: Here i want to point out, that you really did a great job so far (yes, i am aware most things are alpha or beta :P). I especially like the decent style and the round houses. They give the town a unique feel of something in between primitve, celtic, bewitched and "alchemically". Somewhere a Druid would feel at home. :) The hay roofs substantiate this hole feeling.

But it wouldn't be a constructive criticism, if there wasn't be any ideas / suggestions. 

First of all the bridge: Imo it doens't fit the hole feeling of the town. The massive stone-bridge separates the hole town and stands out too much. Maybe some drawbridge or mixture of stone and wood (foundation stone, everything other wood) would help?

Then the fishing theme: As far as i saw, you add some nets with fish hanging in it  (great idea btw), BUT the hole theme drownes. There are many "cutters" but no one carries fish or something like that in it. Aren't there "water-nets" as worldobjects in the Creationkit? Maybe, just maybe, you could add some of those?

The sawmill-area: i really, REALLY like the new two little round-houses. But the hole area seems so "unsafe". Maybe you could add something to help there out like either: a gate, a fence, stones, a few more houses? 

The area of Jarl's house: the idea of the rune-stones is awesome. But why there has to be a goat-area? Without it, it would could look more "symmetrical". The center should be the stage-way to the entrance. (Idea. Add the goats to the sawmill-area? or near the tavern?)

The burned down house-area: My idea is to break/interrupt the wooden path to it. So it feels more abandoned. (Add a dead tree in front of the house? idk ^^)

The Atmosphere: ages ago, about 2012/13? idk, i wanted to do a mod for Morthal myself but messed up and didn't enhance my skills further. But my idea for the atmosphere was, to underline the gloomy feelig - especially at night. I added a big, old tree (the Witherun one) rescaled it (made it smaller) and added hanging moss to it. This one you really dont need to transfer. :D

But i also added more mist and to intensify this for the nights, i added some scattered lanterns, hanging random from ropes between the buildings. I also added some empty bottles and other misc around the pool infront of the tavern. And wanted to add some drunken dudes, lurching around the tavern. 

As far as i can see, you added a blacksmith to the "empty house".  I really hoped so. I asked myself years ago too: why didn't they add a blacksmith there? My old idea was to let him work there and sleep on a bigger boat near the house. But i really dont know, why i got this idea. :D 

The last point about atmo is the moss. Its a cold and soggy area. Perfect for moss. So, maybe, you could think about either add a some green to the wooden houses or hay roofs? Just some immersive ideas throwing around. And you already have much in works, so don't get bothered my friend. 

Winterhold i will comment later - i really think this was enough from me at the moment :D 

Hey Cailan! Glad you could join us :)

I agree, the bridge really does stand out. A wooden bridge would be far more fitting.

I'd imagine there being plenty of farming area's in the city, the one near the longhouse is just one of them. The Jarl's personal goats or.. something! :D Need to fill the empty area's with something.

I think it is mentioned that the house only burned down recently, hence why they haven't cleared the rubble yet. I think there'd still be a clear path to it, though the question is whether we should change the design of the wreckage to fit more in line with some of the other new buildings.

Interesting NPC's which is a *Must* adds a Redguard blacksmith to Fallion's house who works the Smithing area. While I'd be much happier adding a grumpy Nord hammering iron clumsily while still trying to shake off last nights mead-induced partying- I like interesting NPC's and I think we ought to try and accommodate it in the project as *everyone* uses it, or should use it. I like the idea of adding mist and idle objects that light up at night, I had this idea for a quest that if the Dragonborn refuses to sacrifice 'someone', mists at night would grow darker and it'd quickly turn into a horror quest. 

So just to be clear galandil, Winterhold's questline is going to involve acquiring magicial artifacts that will make my guy even more powerful for the restoration of Winterhold. That sounds great man.

The main focus I want to go for is to make your character worthy of the Arch Mage mantle. I've actually sat down and tried watching the Harry Potter movies for inspiration, and lets be frank, the college quest-line is pretty bland, it lacks a proper red-thread and while the characters you meet are wonderful and have varied personalities, you don't really do a whole lot with them, nor do you really learn a whole lot of magic. In fact you can roll through the quest-line without casting a single spell, which just doesn't make any sense. One could argue that by being Dragonborn, your already utilizing a form of magic, the Thu'um, but still, even so. 

So I want to add some quests here and there through out the story, try to introduce the various side-characters a bit more, like 'The Caller' seemed really interesting but there's nothing really all too much you can do with her. There's also the Augur of Dunlain who's just.. there. You also have this massively interesting setting, the city has become destroyed, nobody knows why. Your told that magic must serve man, and we need to be cautious when using it and using it responsibly. The Thalmor who takes on a bit of a Snape role at the college also adds a very familiar magic-school feeling and yet we rarely ever interact with the people at the college. 

Spoiler Warning: When the Arch Mage dies, I feel like... what a wasted opportunity, I barely knew this guy. He gave me a staff once, that was it. Dumbledore him a bit please! And then there's Mirabelle Irvine who also passes away who I also... err, she gave me a tour once. The only character I ended up remembering by name the first time around was Tolfdir, because we actually did stuff together. 

I want to expand on the story, tie in the Augur, the Caller, the other students, the teachers and arch mage into a proper story that surrounds the Great Collapse and Shalidor's vision for mages. I want the Dragonborn to have to learn certain spells in order to proceed through out the quest line, I want there to be ranks, which grants access to various area's of the college which the Dragonborn must otherwise stealthily access(Which adds another fun little quirk in the quest lines). Give it the Hogwarts feeling, and at the end make the Player feel like they've actually accomplished something, they've earned to become the Arch Mage. Finding magical artifacts for the college to study, learning forbidden spells and exploring places of magical knowledge will be key to this. I also want to introduce new characters into the mix, perhaps add more students as well.

I must admit though that I cannot play Skyrim without Immersive College of Winterhold. Though it sometimes feel a bit overkill with all the flashy orbs, it is definitely a must for the college. So I'm a bit hesitant with adding new corridors and secret passages to the college itself because of that. I might ask the creator for permission to incorporate but we will likely settle for a compatibility patch instead, which works but it will mean I'll have to switch stuff around and I cannot directly make quest dependent alterations and use of the quirky stuff he added in. Like the Pensieve Mirror that allows you to spy on the Jarl Longhouses, or the Lustratorium.