See I have a question if we are going underwater down into the coral kingdom, how the heck can we do that? unless we are argnian (or have some kind of non-drowning enchantment) we are kinda screwed.... so i wonder what you do to get down to thras

Well Thras isn't all under water, it rises and sinks according to the lore so we have a nice amount of land above sea level to play with.

What your getting at is what we are loosely calling "The Deep" in development, true underwater Thras (off height map, it's own unique worldspace). At certain places on the height maps sea bed the player can go deeper underwater, imagine an underwater trench acting more or less the same way as a cave entrance on land and opening up a new location thats pure deeper undwerwater.

At this point the problem (for player) isn't water breathing, it's how not to get crushed by the pressure so Argonians won't have a free ride in the deep of Thras. The pressure at the depths we're talking about will mean they will have to use the same ways to access the deep as other player races.

I can't tell you exactly how the player will do that without ruining quests but diving bells, Dwemer mini sub, sentient red coral exoskeleton, etc would all be fair guesses as to some ways :)

• Like 1

Or a special spell maybe that works like a mage armour as diving bell... But would disturb sound FX and vision with a modifier. But what about the slugians, the thras race? Wouldn't they be compressed by pressure heavily and "explode" or sink into a mud like like a whale, unable to breath at land? They would need a biological method to slowly compress their body when going down or solidify it when going slowly up... Or maybe I overdue the realism, I mean it is elderscrolls so it's fantasy and all races have magical abilities by birth and gods walk amongst them like it's the most normal thing in the world.

Yeah i hear you, the presumption would be the Sload in "The Deep" would be at a part of their life cycle where it's home to them and they have adapted so wouldn't need the mechanics.

..."while older adults, due to their extreme weight, are completely immobile unless buoyed in water". (pocket guide).

We want to have elements of Cosmic horror, not the full Cthulhu experience but certainly using our inner space (the deep) as an analogy of outer space/other dimensions. Sload that are too big to go on land (really ancient ones that would never be seen on land) can fill the role of "elder horrors" for us in that regard and the deep almost like going into space for the player. Just inner rather then outer :)

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 7:02 AM, Kettlewitch said:

What your getting at is what we are loosely calling "The Deep" in development, true underwater Thras (off height map, it's own unique worldspace). At certain places on the height maps sea bed the player can go deeper underwater, imagine an underwater trench acting more or less the same way as a cave entrance on land and opening up a new location thats pure deeper undwerwater.

Nice. Exactly how big will this worldspace be compared to the island of Thras itself? Larger? Smaller? Are we going to be spending more of our time in the Deep than we are on the surface?

Also, I know this is off topic, but I can’t help but notice you guys haven’t made your official Web site yet. Is that still happening? And can we expect an official announcement as well anytime soon?

edit: Never mind, I found it. The Web site looks good. Can’t wait for it to be updated.

Edited by Archer1216

Hey Archer!

Undecided how big the deep will be, it mostly came about because we realised we couldn’t do justice to "proper" underwater Thras using just the seabed of our height map. It would probably be more end game territory and deal with things like the “Elder Distended One", a mention of a possible cultural leadership among the Sload from this out of game lore;

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/A_Loathsome_Civilization

Yup, the website is up (quietly) and we're sifting through content trying to balance showing off what we have done so far and not giving everything away! Thras is very much of the mysterious island vibe, we've been "accused" of secrecy in the past but it's not like you can post detailed maps of Thras and it's locations and hope to keep that mystery going. We'll strike a better balance as we progress :)

..Oh and yes, an official announcement is close ;)

• Like 1