Sign in to follow this  
wrenik

Cities of war

I think we should add more Soldiers to the different settlements, named NPCs that are stationed in the different cities, especially Windhelm and Solitude, this doesn't always need to be permanent NPCs and honestly shouldn't be, it should be NPCs that are moved about depending on the different stages of the civil war. Soldiers in Windhelm having a drink, training, formations, and other things in preparation for the war. same in Solitude, Imagen to enter Castledour to see the Imperial Recruits lining up, and a scene plays out where the Commander tries to wip this nords into Imperial soldiers. or to Enter a tavern and find some drunk Soldiers. as I said these NPCs don't always have to be enabled but be swooped out to get a feel for the Soldiers moving around Skyrim. but perhaps some like the Imperial Trainers or some of Ulfrics troops can be more permanent at least till the end of the war.

a larger presence of Imperial and Stormclock troops would help give the feel of a land in Civil war and not just towns guards. but Soldiers stationed at different locations that the Player can interact with, do quests with, etc. in Solitude and Windhelm especially it would be good if you felt it is a gathering point for two armies, so troops hanging out in the taverns, training, or interacting with the population. maybe some troops in each city controlled by the Empire or Stormclocks that you can speak with about recruitment or that just look stationed there. and passing troops to villages, I don't think most villages would have permanently stationed troops but to find some soldiers passing by an inn on their patrol would give the illusion that a war is going on.

Wars aren't all about battles, fights or an all our male at every single turn, it is about scouting, moving troops and in other ways gaining the advantage too with as few losses as possible take out your opponent. and as such a land in war would see a lot of Soldiers, Farmers recruited into the army's who are moving around the different cities. and those soldiers would be out doing stuff, like speaking to the local town folk, Drinking, etc.

This is nothing for next update, but it is worth thinking about moving on to NPC and quests incoming updates as making Skyrim a believable Civil war is half of the premise of the game, that I believe we should aim to aid.

How about enabling the military camps from game start as staging grounds for the side controlling the hold and then giving the soldiers in them routines that have them patrolling during the day and then returning at night?

Also the various small camps you find could do with some loving as well.

it is a good idea, however, we'd still need to add more NPCs to the camps seeing they wouldn't leave them abandoned during the day, and always keep guards, but NPCs form the camps venturing out to different areas is pretty good. however it would be taxing on the system, I hope to create the illusion that there are soldiers everywhere without actually adding them everywhere at least not permanently.

Thanks for the good idea tho, hope we can find a way to implement it as I really do like it!

On 18.5.2018 at 11:43 AM, wrenik said:

I think we should add more Soldiers to the different settlements, named NPCs that are stationed in the different cities, especially Windhelm and Solitude, this doesn't always need to be permanent NPCs and honestly shouldn't be, it should be NPCs that are moved about depending on the different stages of the civil war. Soldiers in Windhelm having a drink, training, formations, and other things in preparation for the war. same in Solitude, Imagen to enter Castledour to see the Imperial Recruits lining up, and a scene plays out where the Commander tries to wip this nords into Imperial soldiers. or to Enter a tavern and find some drunk Soldiers. as I said these NPCs don't always have to be enabled but be swooped out to get a feel for the Soldiers moving around Skyrim. but perhaps some like the Imperial Trainers or some of Ulfrics troops can be more permanent at least till the end of the war.

We already have that. Loads of them. Adding even more would make the game very unstable. This doesn't mean that we won't have named civil war characters who partake in the civil war and thus moves about, but as far as the generic city garrison we already have additional city guards, as well as plenty of named ones. I think it may become a bit more clear once we add dialogue, as they don't all wear uniforms while off duty.

"Whip the Nords into Imperial Soldiers". Its bad enough they have to wear a skirt. :sick:

We also have plenty of soldiers who drink and feast, both in taverns and elsewhere. Especially in garrison towns like Solitude. Windhelm could use a few more but that's what I'm adding now.

a larger presence of Imperial and Stormclock troops would help give the feel of a land in Civil war and not just towns guards. but Soldiers stationed at different locations that the Player can interact with, do quests with, etc. in Solitude and Windhelm especially it would be good if you felt it is a gathering point for two armies, so troops hanging out in the taverns, training, or interacting with the population. maybe some troops in each city controlled by the Empire or Stormclocks that you can speak with about recruitment or that just look stationed there. and passing troops to villages, I don't think most villages would have permanently stationed troops but to find some soldiers passing by an inn on their patrol would give the illusion that a war is going on.

This was something I had actually aimed to avoid, at least until the Dragonborn joins a side. Turning the land into the Witcher with soldiers and camps everywhere, people hanged and soldiers rotting in the fields. Ugh. Something I'd love to add- when the Dragonborn joins a side, but til then I would rather say that the Civil War hasn't reached its climax yet. Each side is preparing, waging on what the other will do, we see this in the dialogue as well that everything hinges on Whiterun and who moves first. Once Whiterun falls- each side begins its marathon to destroy the other. Until then its low-key raids and such. 

We also as Rasilion says, already have camps in the vanilla game. some of these like the Imperial one in Whiterun are disabled at the start of the game, but will enable itself as the war progresses. I'd love to add more of these, but not before the dragonborn joins the civil war itself. I do think these camps could use some work though, I've seen a few really good mods that expands upon them on the nexus, but again- I really want to go for the: "The war is slowly and surely becoming more apparent the further into the quest-line you get, rather then traveling to Whiterun feels like passing multiple military posts and not tripping over dead soldiers". As for patrols, we also already have these in the vanilla game, though they run on the radiant engine rather then being permanently positioned NPC's. 

Wars aren't all about battles, fights or an all our male at every single turn, it is about scouting, moving troops and in other ways gaining the advantage too with as few losses as possible take out your opponent. and as such a land in war would see a lot of Soldiers, Farmers recruited into the army's who are moving around the different cities. and those soldiers would be out doing stuff, like speaking to the local town folk, Drinking, etc.

An all out male? You mean you want more female soldiers? Sure, I don't see why not. 

Unsure whether I wrote this in the civil war page, but I had thought to do all of this, just not at the start of the game. This comes gradually over time and then fades out when the wars won. Its to keep the war in a lowkey stalemate up until the dragonborn joins a side. 

I still believe that much like in the vanilla game there should be a resident chance that you find Soldiers in taverns staying while out on patrol etc even when the game begins, maybe not the climax but evidence of this standoff, mean the soldiers spawn out of nowhere and there should be training happening in all major holds of new recruits into soldiers for the war effort.