Sign in to follow this  
Tasheni

White texture looks too shiny and purple in ck and game - is there a solution?

Since weeks I'm trying to do a white horse. Now it looks fine in nifskope, but in ck and in game the color turns to purple. It's not glossy, but not really white.

I have a very dark alpha channel and I tried also without and saving in DXT 1. No difference. I deleted the normal map and in nifskope the setting of the specular map - no difference, but without normal map texture is glossy. I made the alpha channel of the normal completely black no difference. I tried every solution I could find in the internet, tried different settings with reducing saturation and lightness or reducing brightness - then I get a grey purple horse.

https://www.nexusmod...m/images/716164

https://www.nexusmod...m/images/716163

What am I missing? Thank you for your suggestions.

Hi Tasheni,

from your last Gallery update it would seem that you have... resolved this issue, no? If not, I might take a look at your textures and nif if you'd like. 

-A (aka Drell in Roscrea Team)

Hi Ambershore,

yes, I resolved it and uploaded the mod at nexus: Tasheni's Frost

I set in Nifskope the values of the Emissive Color and the Specular Color to black and the Specular Strength from 91.000 to 1.0. First it had no effect, but my PC was mocking me. After a few days it worked suddenly. I'm happy now and it's a really cool horse :)

Thanks for your offer, that's very kind.

me again...

by he way, this initial purplish tint issue did not come from your specular mesh settings, but from the soft lighting shader flag 2.

You can try it: remove this flag from the main body BSLightingShaderProperty node, and it disappears.  The associated map, ending in _sk.dds wasn't really fitting the diffuse main tints anyway, imo, hence your issue. And if you adjust and keep it anyway then save it in dds1 RGB (always), not ARGB as it currently is (which has a troublesome 1bit alpha).

Then, you could (and, imho: should ;) ) give back some specularity. Considering that your diffuse colors are bright though, not with the same bluish specular color, nor as strong in specular strength. If you're interested, I would suggest giving a try to the following, just an example :

Glossiness: 60 to 80, your call.

Specular Color:  R 0.709 G 0.621 B 0.450. It will give a beige/golden shine, instead of blue. Possibly a bit less saturated, again adjust as per your own tastes.

Specular Strength: 1.0 is quite enough. Especially if you/your mod users have an ENB.

here's how it looks in Nifskope after such changes, unmodified on the left (which still shows some of this purple tint), and my adjustments on the right:

https://imgur.com/WtYDi4l

Edited by Ambershore

Thank you so much, this is very helpful, but some things I don't understand - because I have few experience. Yes, the sk.dds was the fie that came from swift steeds mod and I did not really understand what this does. I tried the nif with and without this file and there was no difference.

I will  focus on your values and find another tutorial about sk.dds files.  I read a lot about textures and Nifskope settings, but it seems that I've missied something.

What do you mean with save in dds1 RGB ? DXT1 without alpha? But I need an alpha channel because the mane and tail have transparency and this must be DXT5 - as far as I know.

Thank you for your time. I'm always happy if someone teaches me. I always try to get better - learning, that's my main concern :)

Greetings from Germany

I will do my best to give you some details, not being a native English myself, too ;)

the horse01_sk.dds, is a subsurface map. _sk.dds textures mimic specific kind of materials, most often slightly translucent ones, and/or those that disperse light and not just reflect it (specular), in not so usual ways. Materials that light partially penetrate, and is scattered by them, like  Candle wax, Jade amulet, or human Skin. Hypothetically, it kinda makes sense for a horse skin too, but Skyrim engine is so barely efficient at this that it's rarely  worth it. And it's handled far worse in Skyrim SSE, by the way, with different kind of issues (the infamous 'Bronze shine', on characters, at least if I remember correctly).

" I tried the nif with and without this file and there was no difference."

While this _sk map controls how and where on the model the  _Soft Lighting_ effect (Bethesda's odd name for this), will be applied, to effectively remove the lighting effect you need to remove/uncheck the 'soft lighting' SLSF2 flag in the material node. Here's how to easily do it in Nifskope, just in case you didn't already know, or other modders would like to:

3kBo5CE.jpg

Zie3LAX.jpg

"What do you mean with save in dds1 RGB ? DXT1 without alpha? But I need an alpha channel because the mane and tail have transparency and this must be DXT5 - as far as I know."

Sorry for the imprecision in my last post, I meant for this _sk.dds file only, when I said that ;). these  _sk maps don't need an alpha. Currently, horse01_sk.dds is wrongly saved in DXT1 ARGB (1 bit alpha: unusable for most other purpose even), while it should just be saved in DXT1 RGB (no alpha at all). It's not a gamebreaking point though, don't worry. Just unnecessary data.

now, don't worry: The transparency of the mane and tails are not handled by this texture, but by the alpha channel (yes!), of your diffuse texture: hosemaintailWhite.dds (which is in the correct DXT 5 format  ;) ). So you can safely remove the soft lighting stuff for the horse body without affecting transparency.

To be a bit more precise and technical, the transparency is also handled by other factors in your nif file, not just the diffuse alpha:  the node 'shader flags1 'Vertex_Alpha' of the node 20 BSlightingShaderProperty for the tail & mane mesh, its child node, 22 NiAlphaProperty, and the vertex alphas of the NitrishapeDATA (node 16)  - labeled in Nifskope as 'Color 4 subdetails for each vertex colors in the nitrishapedata. Sounds complicated, right? All these factors are working in conjunction to fine tune the transparency effects of your horse mane and tails, but since such combination of transparency factors is not  always required, nor even always present for all kind of meshes (some don't use the vertex alpha tricks, some only use that but without niAlphaProperty nor texture transparency...) I get that it might sound more complex and possibly confusing at first than a lot of modders would think (even experienced ones).

if you have other questions, don't hesitate, Tasheni. Here or on Nexus by pm, if you'd like (I have the same profile name out there: Ambershore), since DC forums will close sometimes soon, sadly.

- A.

Edited by Ambershore

Thank you very much, very good explained! Now I can correct my Winterhorse textures - I'm working already on the eyes and ears that were very bad done because I was a beginner ;)

And I can play with values now for the transparency. I combined different mane and tail meshes to get fuller hair and it's difficult to adjust the overlapping transparency right.

I'm sure I will contact you - on nexus then - it will be not too long until I rush again in trouble with textures, thank you for the offer. I'm currently fighting with texture stretching, mostly on bags or belts of the farmclothes. Pretty annoying, all gets unsharp.

Yes, it's sad that DC shuts down, but fully understandable. For me, Discord is no substitute, I don't like the software and it takes too much time to find content I'm looking for. I use mainly nexus now.

Ciao.

• Like 1