Deeza

Cheydinhal Development

Our focus should be firmly on Bruma at the moment, but that doesn't mean we can't start thinking at a preliminary stage about ideas for our next targets.

so it would seem the logical next choice. So let's discuss - what are we going to keep the same from TES4? What are we going to change?

I have a few suggestions:

• The biggest change is that the city was badly damaged by the Umbriel Disaster. The population had to evacuate and flee to the Imperial City. During this catastrophe, the next generation of the Indarys family proved their ability to lead. According to the Indarys family is now considered a House in Morrowind, with all the privileges that flow from that.
  • So we would be allowed to incorporate a fair number of changes to the basic layout of the city, given that Umbriel was basically a world-eating device.
  • It's stated in those fan-hate attracting books that a lot of Dunmer refugees from the Argonian invasion arrived in the city. There were already a fair few Dunmer in the city in TES4, but we could justifiably bump this up to make it a really unique feature of this area.
  • The Knights of the Thorn are now a legitimate military order, who earned a fair amount of cred in battle

Some changes we could incorporate:

• A Dunmer Temple in the city, opposite the Cathedral, and all the fun and interesting religious conflicts and storylines that could arise from that
  • A Cornerclub somewhere is a must-have
  • Tensions between the "old" Dunmer families who were here in TES4 and are very imperialised, and the "new" Dunmer descended from the refugees from Red Year?
  • Competition between the Thieves' Guild and the Camonna Tong who moved in with the refugees?

As for the general style of the place and any changes we could incorporate there, part of me wonders if we should model the walls on Carcassonne even more than they already were (replacing the blue theme with purple)?

Also, given that the river running through it will now be wider, we could incorporate a river port village further downstream from Cheydinhal for taking goods and people down to the Imperial city?

Thoughts on this? Ideas of your own?

• reaction_title_1 4

We've been given a fairly blank slate here I think. Having said that I like the description given in "Guide to Cheydinhal"

The first impression of the visitor to Cheydinhal is of broad green parklands, graceful willows along the banks of the Corbolo, neatly groomed gardens and flowering shrubs. Cheydinhal looks prosperous, with clean, well-trimmed houses and neat stonework, ornamented with striking designs in glass, metal, and wood.

It also describes 3 districts which again I think should be kept to

Cheydinhal is divided into three districts. To the north, on a hill, is the courtyard and inner keep of Castle Cheydinhal. A road runs east-west below the castle from East Gate to West Gate. The Corbolo River runs roughly north-south from this road, dividing southern Cheydinhal into two districts, Chapel in the east, and Market in the west. In Market District lie all the shops, inns, and guildhalls. In Chapel District are the Chapel itself and Cheydinhal's residences. Bridges span the Corbolo in the north and south, with the south bridges connecting upon a pretty little island park in the middle of the river.

building on the idea of Competition between the Thieves' Guild and the Camonna Tong, each party could control a side of the river and you could have fights occurring on the main bridge, the first time the player arrives.

Velothi architecture assets and appropriate Morrowind clutter will be made avalable to you. I could see a simple retexture of those assets working for the Temple, and maybe a few Hlaalu style homes. Ivory stucco instead of golden, same tiled roof texture on the dome as the local roofs, etc.

Something I forgot to mention - once we impliment Silt Striders for Morrowind, how about a silt strider dock that would be scripted to show up only if both Morrowind and Cyrodiil mods are installed?

• reaction_title_1 2

Our focus should be firmly on Bruma at the moment, but that doesn't mean we can't start thinking at a preliminary stage about ideas for our next targets.

so it would seem the logical next choice. So let's discuss - what are we going to keep the same from TES4? What are we going to change?

I have a few suggestions:

• The biggest change is that the city was badly damaged by the Umbriel Disaster. The population had to evacuate and flee to the Imperial City. During this catastrophe, the next generation of the Indarys family proved their ability to lead. According to the Indarys family is now considered a House in Morrowind, with all the privileges that flow from that.
  • So we would be allowed to incorporate a fair number of changes to the basic layout of the city, given that Umbriel was basically a world-eating device.
  • It's stated in those fan-hate attracting books that a lot of Dunmer refugees from the Argonian invasion arrived in the city. There were already a fair few Dunmer in the city in TES4, but we could justifiably bump this up to make it a really unique feature of this area.
  • The Knights of the Thorn are now a legitimate military order, who earned a fair amount of cred in battle

Some changes we could incorporate:

• A Dunmer Temple in the city, opposite the Cathedral, and all the fun and interesting religious conflicts and storylines that could arise from that
  • A Cornerclub somewhere is a must-have
  • Tensions between the "old" Dunmer families who were here in TES4 and are very imperialised, and the "new" Dunmer descended from the refugees from Red Year?
  • Competition between the Thieves' Guild and the Camonna Tong who moved in with the refugees?

As for the general style of the place and any changes we could incorporate there, part of me wonders if we should model the walls on Carcassonne even more than they already were (replacing the blue theme with purple)?

Also, given that the river running through it will now be wider, we could incorporate a river port village further downstream from Cheydinhal for taking goods and people down to the Imperial city?

Thoughts on this? Ideas of your own?

I agree with pretty much everything you just said.

If a Dunmer temple is made it would have to be made in secret seeing as the Vigilant of Stendarr would come stop out any sign of Daedra followers.

• reaction_title_1 1

But the Vigilantes pretty much got stomped on by the vampires in Dawnguard.

That was the Skyrim Chapter that got curb stomped. The Vigilantes are still very active in Cyrodiil considering they are based out of Chorrol.

• reaction_title_1 1

What do you guys think of this layout? Its just a rough sketch made with GIMP. But its roughly how I would imagine it.

post-81-0-94744600-1363210280_thumb.png

YELLOW  -  Cheydinhal Castle, I imagine it to be somewhat damaged due to the events between Oblivion and Skyrim.

GREEN - This is where the bulk of the town was in Oblivion. This will be just about the only place in the city where you can still see      the typical Cheydinhal architecture we know from Oblivion. Most other parts of the town will have taken more Dunmer influence and are also a lot poorer.

BLUE  -  Blue is the cathedral. In oblivion there was also a graveyard, I want to put that in again as well.

PINK  -  Pink is the row of houses where the Abandoned House of the Dark Brotherhood questline was in Oblivion. These houses also still resemble the typical Cheydinhal style. Although they are a lot more run down than the ones in the Green area.

RED  -  Red is where, during the events of the Great War and the Infernal City, the walls where damaged most. The people of Cheydinhal never got around to fully rebuilding that, and thus, when the refugees from Morrowind started coming, they decided to slightly expand the city so they could all fit inside it. This ''expansion'', is now the refugees district, there aren't any real buildings hear yet, and to the rich its considered the ''slums'', of Cheydinhal.

Another thing I really liked about Cheydinhal in Oblivion, was the little island in the river, with the two bridges leading to it. I desperately need that little island to have some kind of majestic tree or something, or maybe a shrine to one of the divines, or possibly on of the Altmer gods.

Anyway, I will make a more detailed version of this, also showing all the buildings as I intend them to be, by this time tomorrow.

--Mizreg

Another thing I really liked about Cheydinhal in Oblivion, was the little island in the river, with the two bridges leading to it. I desperately need that little island to have some kind of majestic tree or something, or maybe a shrine to one of the divines, or possibly on of the Altmer gods.

That would be Peach Tree Island, it deserves peach trees.

• reaction_title_1 1