Kvatch Development

71 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, something like this, I reckon:

tcoc_kvatch_1280.jpg

But more specifically - what architecture would we use?  Ideally it would have its own, but I reckon that given our limited resources it would be easier to repurpose the architecture of some other city.  Kvatch is a Colovian city, so maybe Skingrad?

4 people like this

Posted

For Kvatch Rebuilt, we used Skingrad, as that seems to fit the city the best. I am thinking a similar design, but using more wood than Skingrad architecture.

On the other hand, the people of Kvatch may have wanted to rebuild it using stone, after having it burned down by the Daedra.

4 people like this

Posted

An updated Kvatch Rebuilt!

3 people like this

Posted

For Kvatch Rebuilt, we used Skingrad, as that seems to fit the city the best. I am thinking a similar design, but using more wood than Skingrad architecture.

On the other hand, the people of Kvatch may have wanted to rebuild it using stone, after having it burned down by the Daedra.

Do you have any top-down screenshots of what it looked like at the end of Kvatch Rebuilt?

I'd be tempted to have the city still looking quite bleak and sombre - dark stone and little wood.  Maybe even obsidian left over from the Oblivion Gates as decorative elements.

Posted

I like the concept it reminds me of the Kvatch Rebuilt mod (I'm pretty sure it is).
It needs maybe a bazaar in the south-west corner hosting small market stalls (It is the first town you approach after leaving Anvil the major shipping town). Maybe a bunch of competing wine vendors in the space to the entrance of the Arena.
Similar if exactly the same architecture to Skingrad, lot's of left over obsidian from Oblivion near the entrance gates, perhaps a big garden around the statue?

Posted

Okay, it is time to decide how Kvatch should look now.

I have spoken to some people about it, and it seems that the removal of the Arena is going to happen. So we'll need to decide what should replace it. Gardens, a memorial, or simply housing..?

The castle, statue and chapel will stand where they are, while other buildings will be shifted around a bit. The population will also be greatly increased, so we'll be cramming a lot of houses where in Oblivion there were few.

The statue will have a small garden around it.

The architecture of the houses will be similar to Skingrad, but with some variation in texture and detailing.

I have also been thinking of adding a sort of slum south-west of the castle. By removing the low wall around the water, we can fit a few lower class houses around there, and make them really tight to make it seem more crowded. Why have a slum in Kvatch? Well, it has been destroyed once, and sacked once more after that, so quite a few people would be quite poor there, which would result in people selling of their houses and buying a smaller, worse plot. Also; slums are cool.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Why remove the arena?
EDIT: where the Mages Guild and Fighters Guild is, should there be something there, like a Manor for the hire to live in or something since his wife got killed? (if the player chooses to be the count of Kvatch) Including some low class houses there too? 
I don't know if I would like the slum or whatever. But If I see it like a screenshot I would see an idea. That's what I get to improve or make a mod better or add things to it, if I see it of course haha 

Edited by TheDarkListener34

Posted

The reason for the removal of the Arena is that the people of Kvatch are tired of all the bloodshed. In Kvatch Rebuilt, this was solved by having you fight creatures instead of people, but I think the removal of the Arena would make a lot of sense. After the destruction of the city, they wouldn't be so quick about building an arena, and would rather build memorials. And then after the sacking, the demand for an arena would be even lower. I think it makes a lot of sense to have something else there instead.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hmm, actually what I think is  put like a memorial/garden in there, including put like some flowers there too and named tombs of who died there. And what really bothered me was this woman that the Kvatch residents were mention too, so I think you would put that person in Kvatch and be found I guess. 
EDIT: I would also put like some sort of waterfall there and a land of water around a tomb (the original count) is. It is a hill I think, and also put fances there and some sort of gate to the memorial. 

Edited by TheDarkListener34

Posted (edited)

Maybe I'm bias (Yes I am). But in that concept art they use Chorrol architecture (I can identify every building). And it only uses the middle class buildings (which are pretty much completed) So if you wanted to do something which is extremely close that picture, then development could start really soon. And I wouldn't mind doing a retex later on.
But it is totally up to you, I'm just suggesting it cause no one else has seemed to yet.

Edited by Psychedelic

Posted

Well, we want to keep it mostly stone architecture, because of the destruction of the city. No more wooden houses - the people of Kvatch would not want their city to burn down so easily again. So, they built it all in stone, following the designs of Skingrad.

It is up to debate, but that is at least how I imagine it would be.

The concept art is definitely Chorrol though. But with the destruction, we have freedom to make it however we want to (just like Sutch). :)

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Just to point out: The Fighters Guild still exists, it's just not present in Skyrim or the Thalmor Territories.

Edited by perry7484
1 person likes this

Posted

It's been 200 years.  Surely it would be in stone by now, regardless what happened to it.

Am I alone in thinking that Colovia in general was meant to have a bit of an Eastern European thing going on?  Bethesda kind of painted Cyrodiil with a broad brush when they did Oblivion, so obviously it wasn't something they were going to overextend themselves to emphasize.  Kvatch could draw some of it's style from Slavic architecture.