Chorrol Development

106 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Per Shoepunked's suggestion, I decided to take initiative and start this thread. Development of the Tile-set will be slow, so there is plenty of time to discuss and design the city.

We need to develop Chorrol's culture so she's unique amongst the other Cyrodiilic Cities. Back in Oblivion I remember people telling me how Chorrol was the start of the Colovian Highlands... But it really it just felt like everywhere else. I think we should give it a mountainous theme to match it's setting.

Ways to achieve this:

• Smaller roads
  • dirt footpaths to new sections of the town- Think Whiterun
  • stepper everything - having the castle higher and chapel St lower
  • Many, many, many, many more large boulders + oak trees

Some things lore-wise to explore:

• The Vigil of Stendarr
  • Who is the count now
  • Hackdirt (REALLY interesting place)
  • Weynon Priory
  • In what ways did the Great war effect Chorrol
  • Possible conflict in the city

About the walls - So far 2 solutions are up for contention:
Using the Imperial wall set but adding brand new towers to give it a distinctive look. Here is a quick concept sketch (Not the best artist, watch out): 

gallery_588_139_104826.jpg
Or using this set by Stroti: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33948/?

Edited by Psychedelic
6 people like this

Posted

That tower structure is very much what I had in mind, then it can be discussed whether it should be square or round, but i definitely like the upper tower house. if we decide to go with the Cyrodiil wall tileset, then we can create some additional clutter objects, like rain roofs on the walls, to really create the feel of uniqueness. However, I recommend you concentrate on the city buildings for round one. It will make it easier to discover the right design for the walls once we have the actual city in place.

But as I said, i will always recommend we use assets created by our own team rather than modders resources when it comes to architecture, so I'm definitly against Stroti's for Cyrodiil.

Posted

I understand that the actual town models come first and the walls and extras come later, but I thought maybe some concept would help sell it to others.
I think Stroti's set mind actually work if we want to develop the Nibeneese culture more? It looks a little Akaviry in it's design.

Posted

In terms of lore I don't know whether weynor priory should be there or be changed in some way.. And in terms of the great war Chorrol was never involved in the war so there shouldn't be any debris or war remains

Posted

The great forest and foothills of the colovian highlands are going to be plenty mountainous, thanks to the current height map. We'll have plenty of room to stretch Chorrol over a mountain. I like all your suggestions for achieving that, although like Punk once mentioned Chorrol is one city which could definitely have expanded slightly, especially if we conclude that the Great War had little to no effect on it, so we can stuff some new structures in as well. There was, actually, a shallow ridge line (very rounded crest overlooking a shallow drainage basin on the North and the rest of the great forest on the South) roughly where I think Chorrol might go geographically. It's hard to figure that out, but the crest of that ridge would make a decent site for both the Great Oak Place and Castle Chorrol (upper class districts), with the rest of the city on the slopes South of there.

I think Hackdirt may be best portrayed again as old ruins of a town, with fewer standing structures and no remaining living populace except possibly some very tormented bandits. The populace was entirely mad in the third era, and by the end of the Oblivion Crisis they could well have decayed into nothing, and the town left to ruin because others felt it was still as cursed as its populace was. And haunted. Definitely Haunted. :P

Weynon priory could likewise have been abandoned by the monks, but maybe later adopted as a farm estate, the chapel being disused as the owners prefer to attend public services within Chorrol. How would that work?

1 person likes this

Posted

For Hackdirt, I think we could make a variation on hostile NPCs that aren't just vanilla bandits. Maybe ragged crazy people in sack clothes, like the Falmer slaves in Blackreach. Or maybe we can even give them equip-able cauldrons or pots for helmets and the weapon versions of forks and knives. Lets drive their insanity home.

Posted

Hackdirt with a bunch of ragged old bandits is a bit .. well .. samey.

What possibilities are there for a newly rebuilt town that's apparently thriving but just a bit disturbing?

I'm more inclined towards this idea, I must say.

About Weynon Priory, I was thinking perhaps it was destroyed in a horrendous tragedy after the WG concordat was signed. Maybe the brothers of the Order of Talos refused to leave they're chapel, so the AD burnt down the building while they were still inside and salted they're crops so nothing would grow there ever again.

So all we'll see now are ruins and barren fields. Late at night, you could see people gathering there in secret... doing what? Who knows? Worship... planning?

2 people like this

Posted

Well, I'd assume the population of Tamriel is probably about the same as 50-75 years prior to the great war, so I agree it would be bigger than in Oblivion...

Posted

Hackdirt with a bunch of ragged old bandits is a bit .. well .. samey.

What possibilities are there for a newly rebuilt town that's apparently thriving but just a bit disturbing?

I'm more inclined towards this idea, I must say.

About Weynon Priory, I was thinking perhaps it was destroyed in a horrendous tragedy after the WG concordat was signed. Maybe the brothers of the Order of Talos refused to leave they're chapel, so the AD burnt down the building while they were still inside and salted they're crops so nothing would grow there ever again.

So all we'll see now are ruins and barren fields. Late at night, you could see people gathering there in secret... doing what? Who knows? Worship... planning?

That's a bit... Dark, but it makes sense.

Posted (edited)

With the Highlands and Great Forest being genned, I think it's time we started discussing city layout, here's the layout of Chorrol from TES4... 

800px-Chorrol-Map.jpg

I think the town would have begun to occupy more of the area inside the walls, if they haven't been expanded already. Thoughts?

Edited by perry7484

Posted

It could use some more crowding.

1 person likes this

Posted

The last time I was in the vanilla layout, the southwest portion struck me as the emptiest. Also, don't worry too much about slavishly recreating the original layout here. I know Eric has some ideas to develop the city more and, even if you do work with the the Imperial Wall set, there is a lot you can do with trees, clutter, and Psychadelic's buildings.

Speaking of that, I do know he is a bit busy at the moment, so it may be a while until you can actually start building the city. However, this planning is good. Maybe we can set up a meeting in the next week or so? I want to be sure everyone who has signed up for Chorrol is involved.

1 person likes this

Posted

It could use some more crowding.

Definitely.

How about that empty piece of land above nr. 12? Or between nr. 1 and the chapel?

I agree completely -- perhaps some minor development by the North Gate, too? (There was nothing there in TES4, and that's a bit... odd.)

The last time I was in the vanilla layout, the southwest portion struck me as the emptiest. Also, don't worry too much about slavishly recreating the original layout here. I know Eric has some ideas to develop the city more and, even if you do work with the the Imperial Wall set, there is a lot you can do with trees, clutter, and Psychadelic's buildings.

Speaking of that, I do know he is a bit busy at the moment, so it may be a while until you can actually start building the city. However, this planning is good. Maybe we can set up a meeting in the next week or so? I want to be sure everyone who has signed up for Chorrol is involved.

We definitely need a meeting -- problem's that I can only really be here on weekends currently, perhaps we should get input from the others as to when a meeting should be?

Posted

I'd like to attend this meeting if I could, even though I'm not specifically involved with the creation of Chorrol. Any time works for me, weekends preferred however.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

CHEESE... FOR EVERYONE!

(Walls, lads! Basically, an early mockup.)

post-1007-0-73041100-1384841895_thumb.pn

I know it should be less green, per Psych's suggestion, but I didn't have access to the textures from my Colovian Highlands (there's some green-ish stuff in there, too, for the transition area...) esp at that time, as that esp isn't merged to BSCyrodiil.

Edited by perry7484