Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Exporting models from blender to Skyrim (Because all the other tutorials are missing something)

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Harmony90 has asked me to write up a tutorial explaining the complete process of getting a model into Skyrim. I know morcroft already has an excellent tutorial written up but it is a little outdated now that new tools have been released. Also, as is to be expected in modding, I ran into problems that were apparently not explained anywhere on the internet. Keep in mind that most of what I say has already been said by morcroft (you would only need this one if you were having trouble with nifutils).

So to begin, you will need the following tools:

blender 2.49b (you must have the 32-bit version regardless of whether or not your computer is a 32-bit)

The current blender nifscripts

the current version of nifskope

NifutilsSuite

a BSA Browser (there are a few of these and they are all easy to use)

and chances are you will need the gimp (though photoshop will work just as well)

Now, because this is just a tutorial, I have whipped up a quick house to export- note that it looks awful and the UV map has not even been started.

Now before we export it we will want to scale it to a size that is relative to Skyrim's models. To do this we will want to import a model from Skyrim so that we can compare the two. I will use a whiterun house. First open up the model of your choice in nifskope. If you have not done this already you will need to use a BSA browser to extract models from the Skyrim bsa. files (you will probably want the textures too). I will not go into the process of using  bsa. browser because it is very easy and if you are reading this then you have probably already used one- if you need help then you can pm me. Once you have opened a file in nifskope you will need to set the user version1 from 12 to 11 and the user version2 from 83 to 34, These settings can be found directly under Niheader after you open up the model (see below, I have outlined the aforementioned values)

Now you need to delete all of the BSLightingShaderProperty branches. To delete a branch click on it and then use the keyboard shortcut ctrl-delete. There may be more than one branch depending on the model. There is a BSLightingShaderProperty in every NiTriShape branch.

save a copy of the model to import into blender.

Now we need to import it into blender. Assuming you have installed the nifscripts properly this should be as simple as opening up blender and pressing <file><import><netimmerse/gamebryo- (nif. & kf. & egm.)> then selecting the model you just saved. If you run into problems then there might be some other branch that blender does not recognize (bhkblocktype for example), if this is the case then check the blender log (that black box in the background). If it says the string is to long then you probably forgot to set the user version. When exporting, make sure you set the scale correction so that you can remember it. So Now we have a  Skyrim model in blender, as you can see below my model is far to small. You may also notice if you look at it for even a moment that something is wrong with the model I imported. The model used a type of NiTriShape that blender did not recognize. I deleted them and this is what it looked like. Since we are only using this for scale it does not matter at all. So scale your model and we can move on.

Export your model with the following settings:

Before exporting though, make sure that all of the objects have their center in the center. they must be set to smooth as opposed to solid. and they will need to have an image material type set to UV input.

Now we can use NifUtilsSuite. If you have not done it already, install it and set all the default directories. I would give a step by step guide on how to do this but, with this program, one need only hold the mouse over something to find out what it does. Using the program is fairly straightforward, it gives very clear instructions within the program. Now we just need to add the collision, which could not be easier using NifUtilsSuite. Unless you have a model as simple as mine, you will need to make a low poly nif. of your model that is used for collision.

Now all that is left is to get the model into the game.

you will notice that mine is still too small, that it is missing normal maps, and that I forgot which texture I used for the wood. I am sure that you will take the time to make a real model

Edited by DoulosTheou
3 people like this

Posted

OMG! IT WORKED! The collision and everything!!! The only bad thing is that the leaf texture on my model was wrong made, but the point is is that it worked!!! OMG! Im soooo happy:D

Thank you thank you!!!

I love youuuuuu!!! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you DoulosTheou for this tutorial ! But i have a problem with images, when i click on any images for zoom it, i have this message : "You do not have permission to view this image" and i don't know why  :(

1 person likes this

Posted

Once you have five posts that will clear up tony.

Posted (edited)

I have it aswell Ysne. What exacly do you mean by that thread title btw?

Edited by Markus Liberty

Posted

Once you have five posts that will clear up tony.

He's embedding the gallery images, not the image itself, and the gallery is set to "Friends Only". That's why that happens.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

DS is right on this one, I will replace the images as soon as possible, I will try to make them bigger in post. As for your question markus, I only meant that I and a few others had trouble with the process. For example, nifutils (and NifUtilsSuite)would crash every time I used them. harmony had not known that blender could handle dds. images.

Edited by DoulosTheou

Posted

DS is right on this one, I will replace the images as possible, I will try to make them bigger in post. As for your question markus, I only meant that I and a few others had trouble with the process. For example, nifutils (and NifUtilsSuite)would crash every time I used it. harmony had not known that blender could handle dds. images.

You can upload your images to our Tutorial album, which is available for all members to use. Then you don't need to use one of your gallery albums. Or set your gallery album to public.

You can move your images to the Tutorial album without having to upload them again if you wish.

Posted (edited)

I can see images now, thanks DoulosTheou for modification and thanks other for answer me  :)

Edited by tony38
1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but maybe someone has an idea:

For adding collision to my models I did everything as described by nifutilsuite, but in the game it is not there, though in nifskope the collision branch is added (and in nifutilsuite it even says collision succesfully added)... Do I maybe need to add something to the nif still after the nifutil process?

Posted

My first guess would be to try a different template - I remember vaguely that when I tried adding collision to a model for the first time I picked a random skyrim model (winterholdsymbol01.nif irc) as template, NifUtilsSuite "added" the collison as expected, but when I tested my model ingame it had no collision. I'm using farmbannerpost01.nif as template now and everything works nicely.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for your hint, but it still doesn't work for me even with other template files.

Maybe I need to prepare the target nif, or collision nif with something special? But my nifs look the same as similar Skyrim ones...

Posted

We probably need more information about what type of model you are working on then (static, moveable, etc) and what exactly your steps are.
For static models the process is pretty short and straightforward. My steps for getting a new static model (not based on an imported .nif) game ready are following:
- collision model and actual model are exported from Blender as separate .nif files (I haven't tried having them both in the same .nif file yet, so I can't say anything on how the process would differ in that case)
- convert the actual model to Skyrim .nif format.
- add the collision (converting the collision model to Skyrim .nif format is not needed)
And that‘s normally it - export, convert, merge. No pre- or postprocessing in Nifskope required.

Morcroft has some screenshots with the correct settings in this They are from a previous version of the NifUtilsSuite so the interface looks a bit different, but the relevant information is there.

Posted

Here is what I would do Ztree, to narrow down the problem. Just once, use the same models for visuals and appearance. If the model works, then we will know that it is only your collision mesh that is not working. I would try converting the collision to Skyrim format- I have always done this, and have not experienced problems. But try it both ways, maybe I am doing it wrong.

Now, chances are you have already thought of this and done it. chances are that we will need a bit more information to help you, but try that if you have not already. Is this a problem you have often? is it a one time thing? every time?

Posted

Hm, my model is just a static actually, so it should be easy to add collision to, but something seems to be wrong. This problem is not a one time thing either, because I couldn't add custom collsion to any of my models yet... For my tree models, I was able to copy and paste them into other existing tree models where collision was working already, so I just took their collision... But for my architecture and stuff, I need to learn to make custom collision, finally. 

As I said, different template nifs don't seem to make a difference, so there is not the problem. I also tried to export the collision model as a Fallout, Oblivion and Skyrim nif but that doesn't make a difference etiher. My target nif is always a Skyrim nif, of course. Hm, I read in the other tutorial thread (that Sweetroll linked to), that ServusDei wrote that a x64 version of stuff can make a difference (which I have), so I will try to install x32 versions of everything (nifskope, blender etc.) next... maybe that will help.

Btw, thanks for your help, guys!

1 person likes this

Posted

I always use Morrowind format for my Blender export because SkyFox (nufutils author) never used TES4 and it doesn't really understand the format very well.

1 person likes this