EEC merchant marine? I have never heard about them could you tell some more about them?

Our current plan was to have the city guard heavily funded by EEC. That of course worries the Count, because it often seems the guard might take direct orders from EEC and carry out their tasks over other duties. Even the count benefits from the EEC he still likes once in a while remind EEC who's in the charge of the city. These petty politics where EEC and Count steps on each others toes would give interesting tone for the city as well as many possible misc quests for the player. I do not know how well EEC merchant marine would fit into that picture.

Also there has been some plans to have EEC using regularly bounty hunters & mercenaries to revenge for corsairs and to get some loot back.

I guess you could have a small group of marines guarding the EEC and work it into the plot around the count's worry about who really controls his guard. One thing I would mention is that even in Cyrodiil (where we're really lucky in terms of the assets we have), we're struggling to get much armour in-game so having an additional (presumably quite small) faction that needs new armour could be a problem...not that we shouldn't do it, but it is worth thinking about if it's worth it vs how hard it will be to find someone to make their armour / could we share the Morrowind assets for them?)

EEC merchant marine? I have never heard about them could you tell some more about them?

Our current plan was to have the city guard heavily funded by EEC. That of course worries the Count, because it often seems the guard might take direct orders from EEC and carry out their tasks over other duties. Even the count benefits from the EEC he still likes once in a while remind EEC who's in the charge of the city. These petty politics where EEC and Count steps on each others toes would give interesting tone for the city as well as many possible misc quests for the player. I do not know how well EEC merchant marine would fit into that picture.

Also there has been some plans to have EEC using regularly bounty hunters & mercenaries to revenge for corsairs and to get some loot back.

The Merchant Marine is the private military of the company, no more, no less. We already saw it in action during the quest "Rise in the East". Historically, the East India Company used its armies to maintain itself in India. It's simply the armed wing of the East Empire Company, and it does feature considerably in Morrowind (and as far as I had envisioned, the Iliac Bay Quest, Night Falls on Sentinel). It'd be pretty necessary to have, to maintain colonial and monopolistic presence overseas.

I would have assumed that the count was chosen by the EETC and that the count was the local factor of the EETC and the Governor of Roscrea in one position. Or are they an Imperial Aristocrat?

Does it make sense to add in other conflicts between the Imperials, since the colonization of Roscrea is mostly maintained by the Company? Wouldn't the colonists already have enough to deal with from the natives without being at each others throats? Wouldn't there be solidarity among the expatriates?

• reaction_title_1 1

The count is not chosen by EEC. He is an Imperial Aristocrat who have gained his position due the blood he have in his veins. Crane Shore Counts are chosen by the Emperor himself. The position is a recognition for a noble and his family which are important enough to be noticed by the Emperor but not important enough to get that kind of recognition in Cyrodiil. The current Count knows pretty well the settlement exists only due the EEC presence on the island. However he is very proud and pedantic when it comes to his own position. The colonists are not at each others throats. Neither are the Count and EEC officials. But the fact is EEC wants to get things done and do not ask permissions when they are working for their own interests and benefits. And that does indeed annoy the Count who wants everything to go through him. He thinks EEC should show some respect and ask for his advice and permissions. When possible he tries to remind them about that and this hampers and slows the progress of EEC plans which frustrates the EEC officials.

I think we could have a small group of EEC merchant marines on Roscrea. A few looking over the security at EEC offices and rest as an strike force which makes assaults at corsair hideouts and ships. This strike force of merchant marines is built up with the resource available on such distant and rugged place Crane Shore is and so it's rather an assorted group of mercenaries and thugs than a well trained military unit.

• reaction_title_1 2

The count is not chosen by EEC. He is an Imperial Aristocrat who have gained his position due the blood he have in his veins. Crane Shore Counts are chosen by the Emperor himself. The position is a recognition for a noble and his family which are important enough to be noticed by the Emperor but not important enough to get that kind of recognition in Cyrodiil. The current Count knows pretty well the settlement exists only due the EEC presence on the island. However he is very proud and pedantic when it comes to his own position. The colonists are not at each others throats. Neither are the Count and EEC officials. But the fact is EEC wants to get things done and do not ask permissions when they are working for their own interests and benefits. And that does indeed annoy the Count who wants everything to go through him. He thinks EEC should show some respect and ask for his advice and permissions. When possible he tries to remind them about that and this hampers and slows the progress of EEC plans which frustrates the EEC officials.

I think we could have a small group of EEC merchant marines on Roscrea. A few looking over the security at EEC offices and rest as an strike force which makes assaults at corsair hideouts and ships. This strike force of merchant marines is built up with the resource available on such distant and rugged place Crane Shore is and so it's rather an assorted group of mercenaries and thugs than a well trained military unit.

That makes sense. I do remember your piece about Solitude's Reign, which makes it clear that Roscrea was made the direct vassal of the Emperor. The reason I was confused is that the only character that had much coverage was the local EETC factor, who features in the Main Quest.

Not the prettiest picture ever, but I now have all the middleclass01 placeholder interiors set up and texture paths updated to point to Roscrea folder system rather than Cyrodiils....this is the interior of what will be the fishing shop and you can now wonder up to the front door and enter from Crane Shore which felt pretty exciting :)

2015-12-23_00001

The rest of the middle and upper class houses should be fairly quick to do. The custom ones are broken into more pieces so what I might to is finish the smaller stuff and push it for merging so some interiors could be open for claims whilst I get the rest in-game?

I've also been having a look at the NPCs we have written for Crane Shore vs the assigned locations on this thread and there doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap. Some key NPCs (like who owns the tavern, the captain and his crew) seeming to be missing from the NPC thread, whilst there are also a lot of NPCs on the NPC thread who don't have obvious homes in Crane Shore (and there do seem to be a heck of a lot of them).

• reaction_title_1 3

I've finished the texture path update and got the houses in-game for the middle class houses, so will push those later today.

This is my first pass on who should live where - I've kept most of BlackEagle's original NPCs, but wasn't able to shoe-horn all of them in and we seem to be missing a couple of key NPCs as well.

Arn's house
2  Ship's Crew Quarters
3  Player Home (Sea View?)
4  Captain's House
Count's Manor
6  City Guard Barracks
Ezzib (Guard Captain) and Marille's house
8  Calvina Ambrosi
Hlaarys Household
10 Chapel (Ketil the priestess?)
11 Inn
12 Sun-Screamer household?
13 Echo-Eaten Household
14 EEC Warehouse
15 EEC Headquarters
16 Cassius Household
17 Tadriel Green-Fern
18 Hook & Bait (Sjorik / Janna's house - Janna runs the store).
19 ECC Barracks?
20 Blacksmith

Cicilia, Zanyk and Llenysa live in the mine

Still need:
Ships crew and Captain (or links to their biogs and a link to Ketil's biog)
Steward for the Count's house (or a lnik to their biog)
Inkeeper and helper
Blacksmith
Bard
One or two NPCs staying in the inn?

I'd also be really tempted to cut the Sun-Screamers and change that house into a smokery or something to add a bit of character....or possibly move Arn to a tent on the beach and use his house instead? In fact, you could do both and have one as a smokery and one as a shadey tavern (plenty of miners and ship's crew to act as patrons and the current in looks rather posh for them to be getting drunk in). You wouldn't even need any extra NPCs for the smokery because at the moment most of the women don't seem to have jobs.
Edited by Bellatrix
  • reaction_title_1 2

That looks excellent! Will definitely differentiate Roscrea from Skyrim. Really like the idea of a smokery too, I've always been a fan of showing local industries instead of just houses scattered randomly.

If the lower class tavern was to be a place for miners and sailors, how about calling the upper class one a (reasonably open) EEC officers club? A place for local officials, visiting dignitaries and ships captains to go and pretend they're somewhere more civilised? Chairs around the fire, imported brandies and whiskeys, and glum bureaucrats counting down the days until they're back in Cyrodiil.

• reaction_title_1 7

Make it like a 1900's Officer's Club in South Africa, or some old Colonial Hotel, British Raj style. The Raffles, in Singapore, is a good example, as is a large amount of architecture in Malaysia and India. Ceiling Fans and lots of smoke. We actually have a similar plan for Blacklight, where we're hoping to have the EETC headquarters.

As a rough idea for what we have planned for the parallel club in Blacklight, Crane Shore's Merchant's Club should have plenty of wealthy Imperials, Nords, Redguards and Dunmer sitting about drinking Brandy and being completely politically incorrect in all manner of ways. Shouldn't we have plenty of rich Ebony Finishings, or Mithril Finishings in terms of decorations, as well? Surely the Officers would want to flaunt their wealth.

Edited by Blackfyre87

I think that's definitely the kind of concept we're going for - the difference is, Blacklight is a metropolitan city (albeit a somewhat insular one), whereas Crane Shore is the arse end of beyond. The atmosphere and emphasis in the two clubs would therefore be somewhat different... :D

• reaction_title_1 4

Now that I am a member of Roscrea :) time to share what I worked on today.

Claire (not sure of her BS name) asked me to work on some interiors so I chose the hook and bait to start with. I am unable to work on the interior for now, but decided to add some clutter to the exterior. To that end, I thought it would make sense for their to be boat repairs going on in Crane Shore and this seemed like the perfect spot. Here are some screenshots of the shop front now...

Any feedback is most welcome...

medium.ScreenShot105.jpg.718d55211233844

medium.ScreenShot107.jpg.bf70b91540e0e61

medium.ScreenShot108.jpg.494cda6db8d522a

Edited by robcbwilson
Added more text
  • reaction_title_1 7