Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Crusader Kings II

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I could not find a thread for this game, which surprises me, since it's so popular.

I bought the CKII collection on Steam during a -75% sale, which netted me the game and all of the DLC (except The Old Gods, which I bought seperately). I tried some games as the Duke of Flanders and the Petty King of Iceland first to test the waters, and immediately ended up vassalized by the Holy Roman Empire and Norway, respectively.

My first "real" game was me playing as the Dhunnunid Emirate (AKA the muslim duke of Toledo and Cordoba), with the ambition to become sultan of Andalusia (because how silly does that sound?) This is where I learned the value of choosing your vassals wisely, as I had to give away the emirate of Cordoba to a vassal I couldn't beat. Also, the sheikh of Castellon kept rebelling...

My current game is in Finland. I chose High Chief Kalevi Kemilaïnen of the Kvens tribe. Initially, I successfully repelled a subjugation attempt by Karelia, but was later successfully subjugated by the Tavastians. While considering to abandon the game as it had just gone to shit yet again, the Tavastian high chief suddenly died without heir, passing all of his titles to me. This netted me a demesne penalty, but I kept all of my counties in lack of trustworthy vassals. I took three concubines to have as many sons as possible; eventually I had seven. I also conquered a nearby tribe, revoked their titles with plots and created the duchy of Finland. Once my oldest son was of age, I started handing out the counties; one for each of my sons, spreading them out as much as possible (but setting an extra county aside to be inherited by my firstborn). This is to avoid my second son Ensio getting too powerful as a result of the Gavelkind succession law. You can see the vassal view here, my family here and the realm view here. After subjugating Karelia, I created the kingdom of Finland, still with my starting character.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I'll probably take all de jure vassals of Finland, and try to take the holy sites so I can reform the Suomenusko faith.

Posted (edited)

I just started a Byzantine campaign with the Charlemagne DLC... I'm currently beefing up my capital duchy and the outlying western provinces, just in case I get into a war with the Umayyads (I did just take a province that broke free, but they're too preoccupied with revolts to notice right now.)

c5KPEpC.jpg

EDIT: Rome rises, despite peasant revolts:

I began a campaign into northwestern Africa, took more land from Spain, and forged alliances with Asturias, West Francia, and Wessex. This should be plenty to counter the Umayyads or the Lombards, whichever strikes my fancy. I'm also gradually ripping Bulgaria from Volga Bulgaria (Which is greatly weakened from repeated revolts), and trying to maintain buffer states between the Abbasids and myself (I am currently the second-largest military power in the game, but the Caliph's strength compared to my own is vastly greater.) On the bright side, I'm growing like a cancer in the Mediterranean.

8PuTWw8.jpg

Edited by Perry
2 people like this

Posted

I don't know why, but Count of Murica makes me crack up.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I love this game...Started out as Munster in Ireland (where I live in RL) and unified the British isles under the Ua Briain banner.

With north west France secured along with the crown of Castile I reckon it's time to solidify things in the bay of Biscay and start the countdown clock on the Holy Roman Empire :)

Edited by Kettlewitch
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Byzantine savegame is corrupted, apparently... :/

Time to start over!

EDIT Oct. 31, 2016 -- The savegame apparently works now, on the current version of CK2... Weird.

Edited by Perry

Posted

You could try looking in...

Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/ Save Games

there may be a back up?

Posted

Amazing game. Started as Duke of Trebizond. Got independence. Submitted to Georgian Kings. Offered crown of Georgia by nobles; noble revolt resulted. Crushed revolt. Won Crown of Georgia. Fought some wars. Won Crown of Byzantium. Mother tried to kill me. Mistress tried to kill me. Executed both for treason. Entire day lost. Worth it.

2 people like this

Posted

Entire day lost. Worth it.

That's this game in a nut shell :)

1 person likes this

Posted

I used to doubt this game. I though nothing could unseat EU4 in my heart of hearts.

200 hours on Steam may have changed my mind.

Posted

I'm currently working on making a mod of my own: Avenrayne, Feudal Adventures in Brave New Lands~!

[IMG]

Avenrayne set in a fictional world whose history runs strikingly similar to ours in some respects. This screenshot from the first Dev Diary shows the 'Rayne' region, one of the first I've managed to flesh out and finish. My first Dev Diary does a pretty good job of describing the Rayne region, so I'll leave the text here:

### Dev Diary I - The Lords of Rayne ###

Hello, everybody! As I continue to work on the map and the flags, there is one region already rife with historical intrigue... Rayne.
During older times, this region was an integral part of the Capraccian Empire. However, as internal strife weakened Imperial hold over its provinces, its hold on Renia was shattered. After a few generations, several powerful lords banded together to form the Empire of Renia - this agreement was loose, and largely for their own mutual protection. As time wore on, however, a new wave of dissatisfaction and religious turmoil shattered Renia - Now known as Rayne.

State of Political Affairs in Rayne, 769
[IMG]

Today, several fairly stable kingdoms remain - although none currently have sworn their allegiance to the current Empress of Rayne, Her Majesty Lucienne De Nours. The religious fervor hasn't ceased, either - Cathar and Christian rulers rage against one another, even as their long-forgotten ancestors' gods near their final breaths.

State of Religious Affairs in Rayne, 769
[IMG]

Despite this sorry state of things, Rayne has remained a vital stopping point along several trade routes, thus bringing much wealth to some regional centres.

State of Trade Affairs in Rayne, 769
[IMG]

### For the Future ###
I could still use some more help with making Flags. And just as a reminder, I'm still in the process of tweaking some corners of the map. Some parts may not be 100% the like they are now by the time an Alpha is released - Especially in less fleshed-out areas of the map.

NOTE: If you have any questions, comments or feedback, you guys are always welcome to comment or message me! And as always, have a good one!

Paradox Formums Page (Updates&Dev Diaries)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-avenrayne-feudal-adventures-in-brave-new-lands.959363/