West Weald and Elsweyr development

135 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Nice! I think those clouds are the result of a buggy region gen someone did a long time ago.

My fault, that's not intended to stay (meaning - if you come across it, please delete it if you come across it)

EDIT: Didn't read this far when I replied, Wellpapp beat me to it

Edited by Perry

Posted

Well - it's outside my already enormous claim so I'm not touching it!

I do quite like the effect of the mist rolling out from the forest across the meadows, though - it would be especially good if it was only there in early morning, say. Anybody know if it's practical to make clouds time-dependent? I guess it's scriptable.

Posted

Well - it's outside my already enormous claim so I'm not touching it!

I do quite like the effect of the mist rolling out from the forest across the meadows, though - it would be especially good if it was only there in early morning, say. Anybody know if it's practical to make clouds time-dependent? I guess it's scriptable.

I know MannyGT has made a morning mists mod, so it should be possible at least.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The West Weald region generation is finally done and with 1Shoe for merging.

This is between 750 and 800 cells of first pass region gen straddling Cyrodiil, Elsweyr and Arenthia, plus some quick landscaping to add mountains and some rock faces. It's not in any way final: there's lots more rocks and dirtcliffs needed. I've dealt with the worst of the black texture patches but there's bound to be more. And of course grass poking through rocks. Lots of that.

I'm keeping the whole West Weald booked out to me in Redmine in the short term but I'm expecting to release the whole thing for general rework. If we have any new landscaping graduates ... or undergraduates ... from the Arcane University looking for something useful to practice on that's not a complete blank sheet then I'm sure we can allocate clean-up claims. 

I've also added a stretch of the Gold Road where it runs through my patch East of Skingrad. I haven't added it West of Skingrad, or that little Skingrad Bypass road either - I'll leave that to the team to decide.

I extended the road on to the Strid. Remember that old path down to Silorn? Well that's now the Elsweyr Road, but I've left space for Silorn down by the river. I intend to start a thread to discuss that whole area: the Strid is now the defacto border between the Empire and the Dominion: I've a couple of ideas I'd like to float. Later.

Loads of screenies on Photobucket, shot with the Bruma LOD plus ugrids set to 11 to fake the rest:

http://s991.photobucket.com/user/morcroft/slideshow/The West Weald?sort=2

Here are a few selections:

I'm calling the area West of Skingrad the West Weald Meadows. It's more open but has lots of copses.

large.20160730154635_1.jpg.41fa831fecdf4

East  of Skingrad is the West Weald Woods ... this is a section of the Gold Road:

large.20160730154929_1.jpg.48efa2b16c59f

Just north of Riverhold on the Cyrodiil side of the border: 

large.20160730172541_1.jpg.ac5d0ac11bb70

Riverhold will be built here:

large.20160730173146_1.jpg.df53a2d9dbcea

Further east, the road continues - eventually it will join the Green Road, but again I'll leave that for the team:

large.20160730173446_1.jpg.e3472ebbb1617

If you want more screenies there's loads on the Photobucket link. Enjoy!

Edited by morcroft
17 people like this

Posted

Thanks!

If anyone wants to select pics for Facebook you're very welcome - you can copy off here or Photobucket without further approval but the rez is a bit low on PB. If you want any stupid-rez versions (2560x1440) just let me know.

Don't use the pictures of Silorn - it's just a rough throwaway test that isn't in the merge.

Posted

Looks like a really great region gen! Not to dense, and nice variation in the terrain too. I particularly like that screen of the river north of Riverhold, with fields on one side of the river and the slopin hills on the other. And those red trees are like the the frosting on the cake (in lack of other/better metaphors).

Posted (edited)

Seeing as this area is reaching a point where more people will be working on it, I thought I'd try and start some discussion as to the specifics. I've a little too much spare time at the moment so may as well try something productive!

lIyqV0m.jpg

First off, I'm not entirely sure what the boundaries of the West Weald are so I took my best guess given the terrain. 

Order of completion: The green lines on the map are the main roads in the West Weald. My thinking was that it would be best to start with the roads, and once complete, work outwards from the road into the surrounding areas. Once each area is complete, claims for the various ruins, forts, caves and so on can be opened up.

Area 1: West Weald Meadows. Wide open spaces dotted with copses and low-lying rock formations. Perhaps we could throw in a couple of the famous vinyards the NPCs seem to love so much.

large.20160730154635_1.jpg.41fa831fecdf4

Area 2: West Weald Meadows/Bank of the River Strid. As above, but the relatively steep slope descending into the river should feature more exposed rock formations, dirt cliffs, etc. Maybe a couple of natural cave formations as POIs to discover?

Library+-+7437.jpg

Area 3: Moving from west to east across this area, West Weald Meadow gives way to denser West Weald Wood, before becoming the Great Forest. I'm unsure if this area spans further north to include Elenglynn. 

Prague_Milicovsky_Forest_Meadow.jpg

Area 4: West Weald Wood. Forest, with more bushes and flora as ground cover. POIs could include cabins or campsites, inhabited or otherwise.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/morcroft/The West Weald/20160730155344_1_zpsogkfxhin.jpg~original

Area 5: West Weald Wood. As above, but with a flowing river for those who prefer working on that kind of environ.

wood_river_stones_current_42491_1920x108

Area 6: West Weald Wood. There are several small lakes around here. The abundance of water might produce a denser forest, with heavier ground cover. More fallen trees, mushrooms, moss etc? Try and get a feeling of the area being further from civilisation, but without it turning into another Blackwood swamp. Some kind of paganesque Spriggan shrine could be an interesting POI

1.jpg

Area 7: West Weald Wood. The tree line here will give way to the relatively open Niben Valley, so will require a transitioning to smaller trees and shrubs.

This is just a series of thoughts and ideas about the area, more intended to provoke discussion than produce a plan of action. Please let me know what you think, or what your ideas for the area are.

Edited by Oxide
werdz
1 person likes this

Posted

Good work there, Oxide - that's all kind of going in the right direction.

Areas 4, 5 & 6 are a lot more hilly than I think you're allowing for. There's a lot more Strid, too - I decided to make it the river for Riverhold - it actually rises in Elsweyr, flows north then turns sharply west.

7 and the northeast half of 5 are outside the area I region generated. I wish I could point you at the old claim map but Mashupforge is now sadly deceased.

The road you have between 6 & 7 is sketched onto the heightmap, outside my patch, but the Gold Road needs to be laid out again.

Posted

With regards to 4/5/6; varied topography could provide better areas for POIs, lakes, relatively wet areas etc. Perhaps a transition from low-lying, dense flora in the valleys, gradually giving way to taller trees and exposed rock as the height of the terrain increases. Hilltop plateaus provide natural vantage points for camps and cabins, whilst valleys present opportunities for naturally occurring POIs. I'll have to take a look and see what measure of 'hillyness' you're referring to.

The only publically available heightmap I came across is a little... large

gallery_82_4_170315.jpg.bc04aecfaf7a941c

Given that NE5 and 7 are a relatively small area, the simplest option might be to have a landscaper work on the western part of 5 or area 6, and once they are familiar and the road has been placed, manually replicate the terrain in the rest of 5 and 7. 

Is placing the road as simple as doing it in the CK or is there more particular method?

Posted

That's also pretty old - the Xylo flows north now!

I've put together a better map of the region:

large.West_Weald_Border_Regions.png.4407

The region colors rather obscure the relief contours and vice versa so here's the same area without the regions:

large.West_Weald_Border.png.c6bf5b8ec6a8

You should be able to see the line the Strid takes before it reaches sea level and turns blue!

Roads are placed piece by piece in the CK then ultimately navmeshed. Nothing fancier than that. I've laid out some.

The whole thing will need blending into the neighboring regions by hand - some nearby areas are already being worked on.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Remapped the region using the fancy maps provided by Morcroft:

J5ytBl4.jpg

Yellow markers: small POIs that would likely have survived the last 200 years, namely doom/runestones, ayleid wells, and wayshrines (make sure to modify any Tiber Septim wayshrines as appropriate). Unlikely to need much more than a small flat area for placement and a little clutter (doom/runestones are often surrounded by half a dozen uncommon plants).

Orange markers: medium-sized features such as caves, caverns, and mines. Will need some integration into the surrounding terrain and appropriate goblin totems, rusty weapons, and spooky skeletons to litter the entrance.

Red markers: large features, i.e. forts and ayleid ruins. Can take up the majority of a cell, or even several in the case of larger ayleid ruins. Terrain will likely need modifying to suit the feature.

Green markers: places of civilisation, be they a lone inn or a small village.

The big red ring is Skingrad; I'm not quite sure how big it will be or whether it needs room for future expansion, so I've left it as a vague area.

I combined the heightmap with an overlay of the UESP map of cyrodiil, and used the terrain colour changes to get a fairly precise idea of where the limits of the region are, as well as where the roads and water sources lie. While I imagine the roads will be pretty much spot on outside of major heightmap differences, the various lakes and rivers will probably need to be placed depending on local topography. This will be a case of finding an appropropriate site once in the CK, using the map as a guideline. The various markers are a best effort placement, given the slight variance between the original and the Beyond Skyrim heightmap.

Things I've left out:

• Camps - it would take a determined camper to maintain a campsite for 200 years)
  • Daedric Shrines - I'm not sure where these fit in lore-wise, storyline-wise, or if the assets for them have even been created)
  • Landmarks - not sure whether or not these are needed)
  • 'Isolated House' and 'Priory of the Nine' - the former doesn't do anything and the latter may be subject to storyline stuff

Things to add in:

• Camps - maybe bandit camps closer to the gold road in the west, and some hunters and legion sentry camps in the woods closer to Elsweyr?)
  • Fortifications - there's only one fort (Fort Black Boot) along the border between Skingrad and Bravil, so perhaps a refurbished Fort Vlastarus or a nice shiny new one somewhere near Silorn and the Arkay Wayshrine are in order?)
  • Houses, villages, cabins etc - are any small new settlements planned?

Let me know what you think and what you think should be added or changed!

Edited by Oxide
2 people like this

Posted

Hey! Great job on the map (saves me a lot of work)! 

Most of it looks good to me, although we're not using all locations for Oblivion. We're also adding some locations that were added by ESO, as well as adding new location types that were introduced in Skyrim, such as Spriggan groves. I've made a list of location changes:

• Shetstone Fram - Gone (200 years have passed, lots of stuff has happened, so this little farm no longer exists)
  • Ill of Inn Omen - Gone (Same reason as above)
  • Faregyl Inn - Upgraded to village, drop the Inn part, so it's just Faregyl (Rorikstead, Shor's Stone-sized)
  • Fort Vlastarus - Changed to Vlastarus Ruins. Ruins of an ancient settlement/temple/whatever instead of a fort, for the sake of variety.
  • Shadeleaf Copse - Pond/Spriggan Grove, should be located somewhere between Goblin Jim's Cave and Grayrock Cave.
  • Silverscale Pond - Pond/Spriggan Grove, should be located somewhere near Nornalhorst and Howling Cave.
  • Fort Istrius - This might end up getting replaced with a new, active military fort. It's not 100% decided yet though.
  • Outpost Primus - Imperial watchtower along the River Strid. Located west of the Reman Runestone and Fort Istrius.
  • North Weald Forester Outpost - A Legion Forester outpost. Just a regular farm house with some Imperial banners outside. Located in the woods north of Skingrad
  • Fort Black Boot - Change the name to something else. Black Boot Keep, Black Boot Tower, or something like that. We want to reduce the number of locations called "Fort X", because it gets kinda repetitive.
  • River Strid - Should be extended to the east, so it starts near Silorn.

Apart from the locations marked on the the map, there should also be several small, unmarked POIs in the wilderness. I'm sure you've encountered these in vanilla Skyrim - it can be a small wolf den, a hunter's camp, a hidden treasure, etc. Basically anything the level designer wants, as long as it's not something completely ridiculous. Anyway, we're aiming for around 20 of these per region, depending on how big the region is.

Also a minor thing that doesn't really matter, we're calling it North Weald instead of West Weald Wood.

Posted

zw21HsC.jpg

• Locations added and removed according to Wellpapp's direction. 'Landmarks' are in blue, occuped fortifications are now green.
  • River Strid extended. Lakes removed (to be potentially re-added following a look at the heightmap in the CS)

i genuinely thought I'd come up with the idea for a Spriggan grove by myself! It would appear I'm not as creative as I thought.

I like the idea of a functional Fort Istirus and outpost to cover the Strid, but I can't help but feel there should be an additional fortification partway betwenn Skingrad and Bravil, else there's a clear line of attack all the way to the Imperial City. Black Boot Tower is ideally situated (even better, the hill just south, but I believe that would be within Elsweyr).

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

These are the actual roads and water now present in the area. You'll see the Strid rises in Elsweyr and is the river after which Riverhold is named.

Paved roads are dark brown; trails light brown. Both are laid out and navigable in-game - I've walked them many times.

Silverscale Pond is in cell 5, 13 - you'll see there is a trail leading there from Skingrad - I though it would be good if Skingrad residents sometimes hike up there for the fishing. Potential for quest.

There's another larger lake east of there, with a river down to lake Rumare. I haven't put that river in, although much of the shape is there. Some of that drop is real steep - I rather thought it would be cool for the river to disappear into the ground in a waterfall which could lead to a cave system, rather than just another surface cascade.

Not all of the road is completely paved yet - but I've done all of it that's inside Cyrodiil. Possibly overdone: I think it needs thinning out a bit so the roads look in worse repair. 0The gap in the road southwest of Riverhold is just because it's not fully planned yet - will pick the route properly at the landscaping stage

large.West_Weald_Border_Roads_and_Water.

Silorn has interesting potential, I think. I created a sort of water meadow by the Strid where it can either be on the south side or even straddle it with a ruined Ayleid bridge. 

I rather thought it would be cool if Silorn had become a sort of outlaw frontier town. Not actually bandits, although everyone would be hair-trigger touchy. More an illicit trade post, hideout, spy's meeting place ... whatever. It really is on the border between the Dominion and Empire and could have a complete mix of disreputables from both sides.  The actual crossing between the two is a bridge just west of there, as you can see. Maybe this would be guarded, maybe not; if it is then Silorn could be the back way through.

Edited by morcroft
2 people like this

Posted

Definitely liking the Silorn idea, it could provide a base for people looking to remain undetected by the Thalmor and smuggle people/goods through the border, which would mean the Empire would be quite happy to let it be whilst maintaining a strict presence on the official crossing.

7exnVHW.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Definitely liking the Silorn idea, it could provide a base for people looking to remain undetected by the Thalmor and smuggle people/goods through the border, which would mean the Empire would be quite happy to let it be whilst maintaining a strict presence on the official crossing.

Exactly what I was thinking - and for the Thalmor it's a good spying base