I think Thalmor influence is a little overdone in places. I'm not keen on the idea of local rulers simply being their puppets, but then I don't know how this all fits in with all the over-arching storylines here.

But perhaps that could take the form of forts along the border itself,

OT but,I would like to see a border like the Limes Germanicus:

Limes1.png

The empire in  during the Great War was taken by surprise, so it would make sense for them to stack up their long neglected

border defences.

The Thalmor occupied the city during the war, but there's no evidence in the lore that they're still there. Considering the atrocities committed during the invasion and the Battle of Red Ring, they wouldn't have a major presence In most cities. Bruma was an exception due to its proximity to Skyrim.

It like to add this quote on how the citizen think about the Thalmor:

Lord Naarifin was kept alive for thirty-three days, hanging from the White-Gold tower. It is not recorded where his body was buried, if it was buried at all. Once [sic] source claims he was carried off by a winged daedra on the thirty-fourth day.

I don't know why everyone seems to think that the Empire is just a Thalmor puppet.They only came to Sykrim AFTER the Markath incident.

Edited by Synthoras
  • reaction_title_1 1

I dont mind if this gets completely rejected but I thought I'd throw in a suggestion (not sure if lurkers are even allowed to do that :P )

Basically I've been thinking for ages about what happened to skingrad seeing as I think it was mentioned somewhere that Hassildor was no longer ruling (I'm not 100% on that or whether it was just that there is no mention of it). This coupeld with the fact it is was one of the closest cities to thalmor controlled territory, and one of the biggest in cyrodil (and so an apt war prize).

I always thought that maybe with the 'disappearance' of the count following the seige, the thalmor argued that with no apparent heir to the seat they could provide a count, in the form of the pompous general (by birth not skill) that commanded the thalmor seige of skingrad. 

Developmentally I could see this panning out through several changes to skingrad

1) due to the preference to a certain brand of wine (either tamika or syrille brothers) the preferred brand was given access to a large amount of the new vinyards (which have been suggested as additions) outside of skingrad, moreover he has allowed the wine industry to flourish, maybe add some altmer vinyard owners?

2) The front gate was completely wrecked during the seige and has not since been repaired (why would he repair it, he doesn't care about the city and who is he defending against?) In order to maintain the realism of the city being in a different cell, the gates could remain and the walls could be completely damaged, with rubble piles blocking players from walking through

3) A thalmor HQ has been built in a new quarter on the east side of the castle (chosen due to a convenient hole in the southern quarter's wall making a nice entrance)

4) A slum has built up in this new quarter (potential thieves guild locations)

5) In the corner of this slum is a big drugs operation, run by the former captain of the guards who was dismissed by the new count after being injured during the seige

6) Rather than the usual mere removal of the Talos shrine, that entire section of the church was ripped down.

I drew a city plan ages ago, but I'm not at home until saturday, so on the off chance that this is considered I can post a picture then

I guess its more that with no clear line of succession and all the nobility of cyrodil in no fit state to start a feudal war over a war-ravaged city it seemed like the easiest way to avoid conflict. The count is still for all intents and purposes under the 'jurisdiction' of the Emperor. 

If the issue is that he is a thalmor general, it could even be a aldmer/other form of -meri noblemen from Skingrad that knew he would be first in line should something happen to the count (he could have helped the thalmor forces into castle skingrad to distract the city guard from defending the main city

With regards to the citizens, they are split: Due to his liking of luxury, those that could afford actually benefitted to some extent from being under his rule, in so much as nothing had really changed except for there being more wine. The others were displaced during the battle (and so now live in the slum) I was thinking of there being a questline involving the 'drug lord' about getting Hassildor to come back (which could tie in to his vampire clan thing, as in he has other responsibilities now but will help you find a replacement)

Edited by Ben42

I really cannot get behind this, there's no way a known Thalmor could survive as count. How many people lost family, loved ones, and property to the Thalmor? Someone would have killed him very quickly if he assumed power.

Edited by Orion the Above Average
  • reaction_title_1 1

Nobility are ALWAYS eager to start a war - that is how they gain wealth and power. An open succession is a huge opportunity, particularly for a prize like Skingrad.

Did Hassildor continue as count for 170 more years until the Great War? When did he actually lose his throne?

I think it is more likely that Skingrad is ruled by an Imperial general, as it is near the Valenwood/Elsweyr front lines. The border would have been fortified, and probably those new forts are supplied out of Skingrad. The rest of the province would have been stripped of resources to fortify the borders. Everyone knows a new war is coming. If there is a count he is dominated by the military, as Elisif is by Tullius.

EDIT: On the other hand, I can see the possibilities of a Valenwood city being controlled by such a Thalmor general who is more concerned with his own luxuries (such as those imported Skingrad wines) and running his drug operation than he is about managing his city. Might be an interesting character.

Edited by WoodsDweller

Well my logic was that as the thalmor came out of the war in a better state than the empire, and so would have enough forces available to maintain the occupation of skingrad (ie replace the city watch with thalmor soldiers) if you want a real life example of this just think of soviet-controlled east germany. The citizens most certainly were not happy with the circumstance but they were in no state to do anything about it, and due to the political climate no one else interfered for far too long.

In the same way the imperial, I may be wrong here, most likely lost a lot of men during the battle of the red ring (yes less than the thalmor but still significant) and were in no state to mount a seige, let alone piss of the thalmor again. It would also perhaps explain why the imperials were so fervently trying to follow the terms of the white-gold concordant, while the thalmor were also not in any position to be starting an all war again, they would essentially have a 'knife' pressed against the emperor's throat in the form of a city with easy access to central cyrodil. 

Again I would certainly not say this would however mean that it was a stable rule, in fact part of the reason I suggested it is because it would be interesting to have almost a mini civil war questline to overthrow/defend the governing thalmor due to the reemergence of Hassildor or another suitable heir. 

Concerning the length of Hassildor's rule yeah I would say (for this suggestion) he lost it during the early stages of the invasion of cyrodil (assuming that Skingrad was one of the first cities to fall). He was supposedly well loved by his people and as a powerful ruler I imagine some deals may have been struck during the mede succession so it wouldnt be too far fetched to believe he stayed in power until then, plus everyone knew he was a powerful wizard at the least so people may not have even suspected vampirism (at least the lower classes) and the nobility had more pressing matters on their plate.

Additionally this could open up potential for an imperial-controlled thalmor city. Logically the thalmor could have pressed to keep skingrad by 'exchanging' it for another city (like in the civil war diplomacy quest) in which case their could be some back-end city in valenwood or elsweyr which could be interesting. Maybe it could become a safe haven for elves or khajit that opose thalmor rule.

But again if the consensus is that this idea is not appealing then I wont mind, I just want to get all the infomation across first

I don't know where you're getting that reference saying Hassildor had lost his throne, because, as far as I know, when this issue was raised before the main consensus was that Janus Hassildor was indeed still alive. Nowadays he'd be ruling from the shadows instead, a series of puppet rulers having been installed after he "died". Even if we don't go with that, I think it would be very, very unlikely that the Thalmor would be left to rule the city, and even more unlikely that said Thalmor would still be in power 30-odd years after the Great War. 

It's an interesting notion, but I just don't see it as working. 

Edited by Yonderly
  • reaction_title_1 3

If Skingrad was occupied there would have been something said. As far as I'm concerned, there are three jewels in Cyrodiil, Skingrad is the jewel of Colovia, Leyawiin is the jewel of the Niben, and the Imperial City is the Jewel of Tamriel.

• reaction_title_1 1

And they lost the war, I cant believe that the Thalmor left the empire with all of their territory

Ok but even if its not an official thalmor servant, what about the other suggestion of a meri nobleman from skingrad, someone who for all intents and purposes would be the most logical person to take the seat but would also be heavily influenced by the thalmor?

I do feel like skingrad in particular should have some heavy thalmor influence, being so close to the border

Edited by Ben42

Perhaps not the best place to post this, but after flicking through The Infernal City, I came across a group of head hunters terrorising the West Weald called 'The Natives'. Possibility for a unique bandit group around Skingrad? They could either be tribal Colovians, or raiding Bosmer. (Page 138).

I'd say Bosmer. Tribal Colovians just doesn't sit right with me, it'd be like having tribes in mediaeval Germany.

I quite like the idea of having a mer authority figure (military or civilian) somewhere in Cyrodiil, who is vehemently anti-Thalmor.