All about Beyond Skyrim

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

All about Beyond Skyrim

New users' guide to the collaboration

FAQ

What is Beyond Skyrim?

Beyond Skyrim is a modding collaboration of several development teams with the goal of creating the remaining provinces of Tamriel that were not included in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim using a single heightmap and shared design philosophies. All our work adheres to Elder Scrolls lore and we strive to be as consistent as possible with Bethesda's established styles. We're also doing our best to ensure Beyond Skyrim is compatible with as many other mods as possible, however it will ultimately be up to the developers of those mods to make their work compatible with ours.

When is it going to be released?

There are currently no scheduled release dates.

Progress reports?

In the Forum Directory section below, there are links to each development forum, where you'll find all the latest activity.

How to join Beyond Skyrim

"Collaborative development depends totally on goodwill and a thick skin."

- Morcroft Darkes, Lead Heightmap Developer

Needed skills

Considering the scope of this project, we're always looking for talented people to help build it, especially amongst the following disciplines.

• 3D artists and modellers
  • Texturers and concept artists
  • Papyrus scripters
  • Level designers
  • Landscape artists

Even if you're just starting out at modding, you're still welcome at Beyond Skyrim. If you show dedication and a will to learn from the more experienced modders, we'll start you out with small tasks and progressively give you more responsibilities as your skills increase. We all started out somewhere, and we have every intention of allowing new modders learn the ropes at the collaboration.

Writing & design

In Beyond Skyrim, the only way to get your ideas into the mods is to put them there yourself. If you have an idea for something, you will first need to show that you are capable in that field of design and willing to work on the overall progress. The more you contribute to the development, the more your ideas will be represented in the final product.

Also, pay close attention to the quote above from Morcroft Darkes, our lead heightmap developer. This is a collaboration and we all work together. We don't just need people with great ideas and the will and technical skill to implement them, we need people who can work well with others, are not too attached to their own ideas and perspectives and know what is and isn't practical to implement. Being stubborn isn't rewarded. If people don't gravitate towards your idea, that's a decision made.

Music

Please see this topic for information about joining Beyond Skyrim as a musician.

Where to sign up

3D artists, modellers, texturers and concept artists

Beyond Skyrim has a collaboration-wide asset development team, nicknamed the Forge. From there, you will take work requests from the provinces and have some freedom to develop your own assets, provided they have a significant usage potential by one or more projects. Remember, the more you contribute to overall progress and make assets needed by others, the more you will be allowed to suggest and make your own.

Scripters, landscape artists and level designers

If you're a Creation Kit modder looking to build or script some content, you'll want to either post in the general recruitment forum for all of Beyond Skyrim, or head to the recruitment forums for any of the individual province projects. Currently, there are five active province development projects.

Voice actors

Visit our voice acting recruitment forum and introduce yourself. Your post should contain: age, voice type, accent(s) and samples.

Forum directory

If you need help to find your way around, you may always ask one of the Beyond Skyrim leaders or a DC staff member. Below is a guide to all the Beyond Skyrim forums.

Beyond Skyrim General

These are the public forums in which all collaboration-wide discussion takes place. Talk about anything you like that pertains to Beyond Skyrim. If in any doubt at all, the Beyond Skyrim General forum is where you want to start. Only the general and recruitment forums are open to posts from non-members.

Province development

Each province project has its own forums. They all have similar layouts with some internal differences based on the preferences of the development teams. Most of the forums are public and you're free to browse around looking at what's being done. Keep in mind, however, that these forums are geared towards developers, so you may have to look around a bit closer to find what you're looking for.

Atronach Forge

The Forge is the collaboration's global asset development team. This is where you sign up and publish your work as an artist. If you're interested in checking out some of the assets we've already made for Beyond Skyrim, this is the place you want to go.

Bards College

The College houses our composers and the development of each province's original soundtrack. Here, you can follow both the works in progress and the finished tracks.

Got an unanswered question?

Ask in the general forum, or send a PM to Deeza.

Edited by Deeza
10 people like this

Posted

When is the entire mod finished?

Posted

November 31st

Aaaah I cant wait :DD

Posted

Aaaah I cant wait :DD

Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November...

Posted

Oh 

now i feel stupid

Posted

Don't - it was a pretty obscure remark by Darkstorne there. We're all used to him by now.... :rolleyes:

Also - expect partial releases even within the province teams, so you won't have to wait for the whole mod to be complete. We don't give release predictions for the same reason many voluntary projects don't: when unavoidable slips happen it generates more bad publicity than it's worth.

Posted

I think peoples' expectations are set by commercial game releases. Bethesda announces FO4 - "we've been working on this for four years, it will be available in 6 months, here's a phone app to play for free to tide you over". Commercial products don't get announced until they are practically done. This is a set of volunteer projects. The modders are kind enough (and it is a kindness, I really enjoy watching all this come together) to keep us posted on progress. Unlike a commercial release, we hear about it years before it is ready to download.

1 person likes this

Posted

Problem is people treat this like a commercial release, they expect it to be out in a certain time period, and we have no funding to dedicate enough time to get it out that fast. We don't want the funding either. We enjoy doing this and making it a job would probably take that away at least partially. Introducing money to a community like ours would be disastrous.

Posted

Problem is people treat this like a commercial release, they expect it to be out in a certain time period, and we have no funding to dedicate enough time to get it out that fast. We don't want the funding either. We enjoy doing this and making it a job would probably take that away at least partially. Introducing money to a community like ours would be disastrous.

Also being paid for this is illegal, so that is something I would rather not deal with.

1 person likes this

Posted

So its not dead atleast. I heard about beyond skyrim like 3 years ago, is it still up and going?

And hey I wish i could help you guys, but i suck at pretty much everything ha

Posted (edited)

So its not dead atleast. I heard about beyond skyrim like 3 years ago, is it still up and going?

And hey I wish i could help you guys, but i suck at pretty much everything ha

It's definitely still going, but you have to understand that mods of this size are completely unpredictable with release dates due to the voluntary nature of everyone involved. People drop in and out all the time, real life is a priority, and since it's not a job you can't force people to turn in work at a regular rate.

High Rock, Hammerfell, and Cyrodiil are all progressing really well and you can check out the development forums to see how they're shaping up. At the very least you'll get to play those provinces (either in part or full) eventually, but a release date for the entire mod? Literally never. Hence my November 31st comment :P Some provinces haven't even begun production yet, and it won't be too long before some/most people want to move on to modding TES:6. For reference, Tamriel Rebuilt is a mod for TES:3 Morrowind that is adding the mainland of Morrowind to the game - it's still not finished after ten years. It's been released in phases though, just like Beyond Skyrim will, so it's still amazing to play in its current state.

As for helping out, just cheerlead! :D Positive comments and feedback are invaluable. 

Edited by Darkstorne

Posted

I will definently be cheering for all of you ;) Yeahyeah having the mod released in "pieces" is like as good though. Which province do you think is going to be done first? Cyrodill? Since Bruma is almost done? Or are you releasing in even smaller pieces such as only cities, one after one?

Maybe its not completely planned yet, you're probably just releasing it as it gets done amirite 

Posted

Thats good what about for oblivion? I mean i like it better than skyrim

Posted

Ehm i mean the mod for oblivion

Posted

This is a mod for Skyrim. It was always a mod for Skyrim. You might have us confused with the Tamriel Rebuilt project, who are indeed making a mod for Oblivion, but this is a wrong place to be asking about that.

Aaaah i see now why beyond skyrim is only for skyrim i was a bit lost 

its true im not being ironic haha