Markus Liberty

Hello, I'd like to sign up for the Forge as a 3D artist.

This will be my first modding experience, however I have been working professionally for the past eight years in the architectural visualization industry and am quite comfortable with 3ds max, Photoshop, and related tools. This is a way to challenge myself while having a bit of fun and contributing to a great project! A small sample of my past work is available here

I think my strengths will be in modeling/texturing architecture, clutter, props, or weapons. Possibly trees & vegetation. In the meantime, I'll try to study up on some game creation methods as I'm sure it's a bit of a steep learning curve. Please let me know of any helpful resources and an idea of where to start!

Edited by A Mac
  • reaction_title_1 5

Welcome to Dark Creations, A Mac!

The best way to learn is to have a look at existing game architecture, preferably from Skyrim, that should give you a good idea on polycount, texture design and UVW coordinates. There are several projects within the collaboration looking for architectural contributions, is there any project in particular you'd like to work on? In case you're uncertain, here's a quick introduction to some of them:

High Rock: The Dirreni West aims to build the western province of High Rock, as it would appear in the 4th. Greatly inspired by what we saw in the 1996 game Daggerfall, and the recent Elder scrolls online. This project has exceeded all the others in the field of world building, with a near 80% completion for its first draft, however, High Rock is in great need of architectural modelers. Since this is a mod for Skyrim the art style remains the same, however, the architecture is greatly inspired by medieval, central European culture.

Cyrodiil: The seat of sundered kings aims to recreate the province of Cyrodiil as it would appear in the 4th era, 200 years after the events of Oblivion. This project is by far the largest project in the collaboration, and exceeds the others in architectural contributions; the project is also likely to publish its first content this summer, with the Bruma release.

The architecture draws inspiration from medieval Europe, with heavy influence from surrounding provinces. The architecture is required to look similar to that we saw in oblivion, but we are free to interpret how you like.

These two are the biggest projects, but it's also worth mentioning the Hammerfell, Roscrea and Elsweyr project.

Edited by Markus Liberty
  • reaction_title_1 2

Hi A Mac,

Wow! your architectural visualisation work puts pretty much everything everyone here has done to shame mate :)

Your obviously a professional asset maker and renderer and I don't think there's a project here that wouldn't benefit from your work. Stop by the Hammerfell Forums when you get a chance or drop me a PM anytime if you fancy working with a Middle Eastern/African vibe ;)

http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/forum/267-hammerfell-forge-of-warriors/

I'm making the presumption you haven't worked with the Skyrim game engine before so a few pointers for what it's worth...

The main difference your going to find between asset rendering for presentations and asset making for Beyond Slyrim are the limitations placed on you by the Skyrim game engine. It's very much last gen.

Low polly mesh optimisation becomes a much bigger deal. Unlike a presentation render you'll have a much tighter asset budget.

Textures get capped out around 2K and often reduced to 1K/512. (To do with the shear quantity of assets rendering at the same time in game VS a presentation render)

No full colour specular maps. Skyrim uses a B/W one as an alpha channel in the Normal and you have to break materials up in the .nif, assigning material properties there. Cube maps and environment masks also.

Are you familiar with nifs? There a game engine file format for 3d assets you may not have used before. Let us know and we'll hook you up with some tutorials if not.

All that said, I work in both Hammerfell and High Rock and there's no problem if you want to just build something and we will handle all the in game implementation while you find your feet both here and with the game engine ;)

To get you started here is a great overview of Skyrims modular architecture set design by one of the guys who made it....

http://blog.joelburgess.com/2013/04/skyrims-modular-level-design-gdc-2013.html

Welcome to Dark creations and Beyond Skyrim :)

• reaction_title_1 2

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome Markus and Kettlewitch! And I appreciate the kind words regarding my work. After seeing some of the images you all have been posting, I feel like such a novice. Some truly inspirational work has gone into this project. 

As you mentioned, Kettlewitch, the biggest hurdle I'll face will be the differences between pre-rendered techniques and real-time techniques. But you've given me some good reading to get started with. Some NIF tutorials would be helpful as well. I'll also poke around with the Skyrim models and see what I can learn from them. 

Regarding provinces, I still need to familiarize myself with all the different regions as I peruse the forums. However, If there is a dire need for artists in any one area, please let me know. See you around!

• reaction_title_1 1

After seeing some of the images you all have been posting, I feel like such a novice

funny I was thinking the same thing looking at your work!

Markus has already made a great tutorial about exporting from Max for Skyrim you can check out. Theres quite a few Skyrim specific tutorials there that may help as well.

The Skyrim vanilla assets are optimised down to the hilt, you'll have a bit more wiggle room polly count wise but they are the "idealâ€.

As a member of the forge you don't have to commit to any province or you can sign up to them all :)

Lurk around, see what catches your eye and welcome again :)

• reaction_title_1 1

HI E VERYONE! I'm an amateur concept artist, with a lot of years experience. Would like to help by adding some concept art for needed models and such. I will post again with my facebook link, I can't do that part from my phone. But here is some stuff on my deviant art account. http://dyn0101.deviantart.com/gallery/

As you can see my "style" is kind of whatever I need it to be, so flexibility isn't an issue. If someone could just point me in a direction, I'll start hammering stuff out. Thanks. Oh and sign me up. Lol

• reaction_title_1 1

Lol, thanks for the compliment. Honestly, I can do just about anything, though architecture is probably my weakest, since my younger years were filled with dreams of being a comic book artist. That being said I can do architecture, I just generally never messed with it too much preferring people. Furniture, weapons, armor, clothing, building accessories, tapestries, basically whatever is needed most I will try my hand at if you want Just give me a direction :-) or I can just start working on whatever comes to mind

Lol, thanks for the compliment. Honestly, I can do just about anything, though architecture is probably my weakest, since my younger years were filled with dreams of being a comic book artist. That being said I can do architecture, I just generally never messed with it too much preferring people. Furniture, weapons, armor, clothing, building accessories, tapestries, basically whatever is needed most I will try my hand at if you want Just give me a direction :-) or I can just start working on whatever comes to mind

One thing the writing department of Cyrodiil are currently in need of are portraits that basically serve as character concept art to get a feel for each character, their appearance and personalities. Is that something that would interest you, by any chance?

Hello

I would like to offer some help with modelling. I primarily use Cinema 4D, I am familiar with Unrealy Engine 4 and Unity 4 and understand low poly modelling. I know enough C# and Js to get myself into trouble and I know a little about VR development.

I know Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects very well, I am a full time student as well as working a full time job so I will not be able to get as involved as I would like but I would like to help as much as time allows.

My website is WIP not everything is up but feel free to check it out and let me know if I can be of help and what I can do!

http://jacobberrier.com/

• reaction_title_1 2

Hello Mossberg and welcome to the forge. You have some truly impressive work on your site ! It will be a pleasure to work with you in the future !

The forge acts as a meeting point for modellers willing to contribute models to any province. It therefore proposes an exhaustive list of available modelling tasks, the boundy board. If you find a task you would like to contribute to, feel free to claim it and post your progress in the corresponding thread. This will allow us to give feedback on your work which I'm sure will be awesome.

If you'd rather work on your preferred province, just post in this thread or shoot me a mp, I'll put you in touch with the corresponding leader. There exists a lot of modelling claims that have not been posted in the bounty board yet, so I'm sure we will find something that will suit your skills !

We're all looking forward to work with you in the future :).

hi there I'm a graduate product designer from Ireland I have some blender experience buy mostly solid works experience and am going to begin 3ds max and blender tutorials. I am also always looking for new and interesting ideas to help practice my conceptual drawing. I just want to say I'm a huge fan of skyrim and oblivion and am here to help in any way I can.

• reaction_title_1 4