Student Application Thread (level design.)

138 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is the thread for students who are new modders to apply to the University. We will need the following information from you:

1. How much experience do you have in the Creation Kit? (This is to gauge what we need to teach not to judge.)
  2. What are you interested in doing, landscape, Dungeons, Interiors, all?
  3. What kinds of tools do you want to learn from? By default we use a forum thread but Skype might be an option for some teachers.
  4. What provinces are you interested in working in?
  5. (Optional) You can also post a bit about yourself and why you want to learn here if you wish.
Edited by Spectral Dragon
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1. Bugger all.

2. Jo Crowell said I should learn how to implement dialogue into the game, because it would be a great extension of my current skillset.

3. A forum or Skype is good.

4. Morrowind. I think Hammerfell is already being well modelled. But I'd still like to help on Balfiera! I love Altmer.

Edited by Blackfyre87

Posted

Am i allowed to apply even though i am part of BS, i want to improve my skill still, since they are not that great. I will post my info anyway, choose to ignore it or read it.

1. I can do basic level design, such as dungeons. I also now how to import custom models in to the CK after lots of trail and error attempts.

2. I am interested in improving my landscaping and modelling skills, since neither of them are that great

3. Forums and skype are good for me too, i can also get other programs if needed.

4. i am already part of Cyrodiil and Morrowind

Posted

Correct, anyone can join as long as they are willing to put in the time.

I am going to open a thread for you both so we can get started.

Posted (edited)

1. I dabble with landscaping, dialogue and NPC design.

2. Scripting and a bit of Landscaping

3. Skype (My name is nightguardx2)

4. Cyrodil

Edited by NightGuard

Posted

1. I dabble with landscaping, dialogue and NPC design.

2. Scripting and a bit of Landscaping

3. Skype (My name is nightguardx2)

4. Cyrodil

If you're interested in scripting you'll want to go over to the implementation area, which doesn't currently have topics for this but I assume will once we establish a scripting lead and/or the current one posts some stuff.

Posted (edited)

1. How much experience do you have in the Creation Kit?

Played with it quite a bit, but haven't made anything of worth.

I'd like to learn to landscape and create good dungeons, I already get the basics of dungeon design but need improvement.

3. What kinds of tools do you want to learn from? By default we use a forum thread but Skype might be an option for some teachers.

I can't communicate via Skype, so just the forums if possible.

Mainly Cyrodiil or High Rock but honestly I'd be happy anywhere.

Edited by FrostWyrm

Posted

1. How much experience do you have in the Creation Kit?

Played with it quite a bit, but haven't made anything of worth.

I'd like to learn to landscape and create good dungeons, I already get the basics of dungeon design but need improvement.

I can't communicate via Skype, so just the forums if possible.

Mainly Cyrodiil or High Rock but honestly I'd be happy anywhere.

I will be making a thread, welcome to the Arcane University.

Posted

Hi, i'm interested in learning :D

1. I'm good at interiors (non dungeon) and exteriors

2. More advance techniques on level design, and some tips and tricks

3. Well, i could use a thread. And i'm on skype too, and the chats.

4. I am in cyrodiil and in high rock

5. I'm a modder for cyrodiil and high rock, and i can do interior and exterior work, but i'm interested in learning more advance techniques, just like i mentioned above.

Well, there you go ;)

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi, i'm interested in learning :D

1. I'm good at interiors (non dungeon) and exteriors

2. More advance techniques on level design, and some tips and tricks

3. Well, i could use a thread. And i'm on skype too, and the chats.

4. I am in cyrodiil and in high rock

5. I'm a modder for cyrodiil and high rock, and i can do interior and exterior work, but i'm interested in learning more advance techniques, just like i mentioned above.

Well, there you go ;)

We can continue where we left off then :)

Posted

1.  I've dabbled with it in the past, mostly following online tutorials. I have never made any substantial mod that has been uploaded anywhere. I plan on acquainting myself with it again in the next few days with Bethesda's own dungeon tutorials. 

2. Mainly interiors, but I would like to work on a dungeon or two and possibly landscapes at some point.

3. I'm fine with the forums. Chat could also work well for me.

4. When browsing through the forums, Roscrea looked very interesting. Cyrodill or High Rock would also be fun. I honestly don't care that much, so put me wherever I am needed.

5. I plan on starting with level design and then adding implementation at a later date, dialogue and quest design would be very fun. I saw your post on the Skyrim Mods reddit, and thought this would be a great opportunity to not only learn to mod but get some real modding experience by contributing to a project. Thank you so much for this opportunity!

Posted

(Who made a post on Reddit?)

I may need some level design teaching help at this rate, you guys are coming in at a decent rate.

I will set up your thread tonight when I get home Fus1onpanda.

1 person likes this

Posted

I may need some level design teaching help at this rate, you guys are coming in at a decent rate.

That was me. I wanted to share us "giving back to the community", if that's alright. I tried to be as clear as possible but you can tell me if I wasn't and/or I could take it down:

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/2p8pyd/learn_how_to_mod_create_mods/

Posted

That was me. I wanted to share us "giving back to the community", if that's alright. I tried to be as clear as possible but you can tell me if I wasn't and/or I could take it down:

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/2p8pyd/learn_how_to_mod_create_mods/

It's fine for now but lets hold off on future advertisement until I get some help, at current I need a few more teachers in each department until I feel comfortable.

Posted (edited)

It's fine for now but lets hold off on future advertisement until I get some help, at current I need a few more teachers in each department until I feel comfortable.

Of course. Apologies.

We do indeed. Not a lot of implementation teachers are likely for a while until we get more recruits in that sense.

I imagine there are plenty of level designers just not a bunch willing to teach/who've seen this yet. Perhaps we should spread the news around of it's  creation a touch more?

Also, I think I've hit my cap on students now. I might be able to take one more. I'm getting busier at work.

Edited by Matthiaswagg

Posted (edited)

1- I'm making a world space right know with dungeons, there are some good tutorials out there but to enought.

2- All and everything.

3- Youtube stile videos that I can rewatch at will but well written text can work (no skype).

4- Matters not but if you want Cyrodiil out first I can do that.

5- I love games and Sweet Rolls and I cant find a good tutorial as I dont even know what to search for or what fings are called in modding.

Edited by DragonConspiracy

Posted

1- I'm making a world space right know with dungeons, there are some good tutorials out there but to enought.

2- All and everything.

3- Youtube stile videos that I can rewatch at will but well written text can work (no skype).

4- Matters not but if you want Cyrodiil out first I can do that.

5- I love games and Sweet Rolls and I cant find a good tutorial as I dont even know what to search for or what fings are called in modding.

Absolutely plenty of tutorials out there already. I'll link you to about a dozen right now:

All Sorts of Video Tutorials by DarkFox

BestInSlot's Tutorials

BethesdaGameStudios Tutorials

MrAndersonLP's Video Tutorials

House Creation Tutoria

A very easy search term which requires absolutely no knowledge of any form of modding is just to look up (under Videos, if you hate reading that much):

skyrim mod creation tutorial

Good luck finding teachers. Not sure if there are many open level design spots, but I know I certainly don't have any more for implementation. Let's just hope for more.l

Posted

1. Pretty limited. I've got the handle on navigation, but I haven't really gotten into too many of the features.
  2. I'd like to learn how to do all of it. I'd like to be useful in as many areas as possible.
  3. Whatever is convenient for the teacher.
  4. Definitely Hammerfell and Elsweyr, but I've always had a fascination with Blackmarsh. Really it's anywhere I'd be useful.

I'm a Digital Media Major with a concentration on Interactive Game Design. I'm banking everything on Game Design and therefore take things like this seriously. I would love to help Beyond Skyrim in any way that I can and intend to treat this project as legitimite portfolio work. I view this opportunity as a sort of internship and will treat it as such. I thank you for your time.

3 people like this

Posted

1. None. I just installen it and opened a location.

2. all

3. I prefere Skype or TeamSpeak

4. Cyrodiil