Student Application Thread (level design.)

138 posts in this topic

Posted

This is the thread for students who are new modders to apply to the University. We will need the following information from you:

1. How much experience do you have in the Creation Kit? (This is to gauge what we need to teach not to judge.)
  2. What are you interested in doing, landscape, Dungeons, Interiors, all?
  3. What kinds of tools do you want to learn from? By default we use a forum thread but Skype might be an option for some teachers.
  4. What provinces are you interested in working in?
  5. (Optional) You can also post a bit about yourself and why you want to learn here if you wish.
  1. Interiors, Landscape, Items and Magic, Actors and Leveled Lists. Never working on climates and explosion.
    I have made some simple papyrus script like a teleport, nothing of special.
  2. I'm interested in Landscape, dungeon interiors, implementers things in CK and scripting.
  3. Forum thread would be perfect. I have Skype too. My skype name is shruikan.blackfire.
  4. Hammerfell, Valenwood, Cyrodill and Morrowind. Practically every province would be ok.
  5. i want to contribute to Beyond Skyrim for making TES V a different game: not only with snow mountains but with
    deserts and mushrooms forests too.

Posted

1. I've never used the Creation Kit before.
  2. I'd like to learn how to do the whole shebang, but landscapes are the most important skill.
  3. I'm flexible. I can use pretty much whatever works best.
  4. I'm the lead writer for Black Marsh, and a writer for Morrowind, so they'd be my first choices.
  5. I've had this on the docket for almost a year now, and I'm finally in an environment stable enough that I can actually focus on this. I'm eager to actually get started!

Posted

I'll be happy to work with you on picking up the more advanced bits once you've gone through the Creation Kit basics tutorial! If you want a teacher for the early stuff I'll have to defer that to someone else. 

Thanks ub3r! Push come to shove, there are plenty of tutorials online, including a few that have been recommended to me in the past. I confess I'm a little nervous, the CK is pretty intimidating to someone as new to it as me, but I'm sure I can piece it together!

Posted

The hardest part is figuring out the camera controls. After that, it's a lot like first stepping into Blender: Learning which buttons are useful and not useful. There are a lot of things in the UI that make it look complicated, but really aren't used until you get into the really weird stuff.

Posted

1. How much experience do you have in the Creation Kit? (This is to gauge what we need to teach not to judge.)
    1. Very Little, I've dabbled in it just to get the feet wet.
    1. Most definitely all.
  3. What kinds of tools do you want to learn from? By default we use a forum thread but Skype might be an option for some teachers.
    1. either or it does seem easier to use mics at night after my kids go to bed.
    1. Any that would have me.

Posted

Hello! I think our needs will soon be focused on interior/dungeon design for Iliac Bay, so I'm aiming to build up a larger department for that. I'm willing to guide you through with building a basic dungeon/interior. 

Alright let me know when and I'll see what I can do to get online.

Posted (edited)

I'll get the thread going as soon as I can; busy week. Any particular interiors tileset you prefer? It'll be pretty freeform. You build a dungeon or whatever you like, and I'll help out with fine-tuning and details. 

If you haven't, I highly recommend the Creation Kit Wiki's introduction tutorial

Edited by ub3rman123

Posted (edited)

1. I have no experience with the Creation Kit. But I'm willing to learn.

2. All

3.  A forum thread is fine for me  but I also use Skype (h_irwin).

4. Any

5. Let's see I'm teaching myself to code. I like working with computers (fixing them etc). The reason why I whant to learn from here I would like to start modding.

Edited by Hunt

Posted (edited)

How much experience do you have in the Creation Kit? (This is to gauge what we need to teach not to judge.)

I've spent a couple of hours, I grasp the basics of camera controls, object placement etc, I'm currently making a small dungeon similar to "Ilinaltas deep" and have connected it to an exterior entrance. UPDATED: Photos of my WIP dungeon.

What are you interested in doing, landscape, Dungeons, Interiors, all?

I'm not quite sure as I haven't done a lot yet but I think everything looks interesting and fun.

What kinds of tools do you want to learn from? By default we use a forum thread but Skype might be an option for some teachers.

I'm fine with whatever, Skype and thread maybe?

What provinces are you interested in working in?

At the moment Cyrodiil, Elsweyr and maybe Iliac Bay.

Edited by Jesper
a link

Posted

1. I have dabbled in the creation kit, but haven't actually made anything good. 

2. I want to learn how to create anything, but I want to start with dungeons and interiors.

3. I would like a thread, and my skype is Eric Webb.

4. I would be happy anywhere, but Iliac Bay does look cool.

5. I want to be a game designer eventually, whether it is just as a hobby or as a career.

Posted

1. Hello, I have no experience in the creation kit but eager to understand it so I can help out.

2. Since I never done anything like this before, I want to know what I can do first before starting to develop a sort of preference to certain things.

3. I would be up for whatever means of communication is easier for the teachers, whether it be skype or forum.

4. I have interest in working in whatever projects need more people to get it done. If I had to choose, probably Iliac Bay or Elsweyr.

5. Why do I want to do this? Besides trying to develop some sort of constructive hobby at the side, I really want to give back to the Skyrim community having played over 3000 hours worth of Skyrim thanks to mods. It would be nice to see any of the projects succeed, and even more so to have contributed towards it.

1 person likes this

Posted

1. I have dabbled in the creation kit, but haven't actually made anything good. 

2. I want to learn how to create anything, but I want to start with dungeons and interiors.

3. I would like a thread, and my skype is Eric Webb.

4. I would be happy anywhere, but Iliac Bay does look cool.

5. I want to be a game designer eventually, whether it is just as a hobby or as a career.

Hi and welcome :)

I am a teacher with the Arcane University. To start with, this is an excellent starter tutorial that pretty much everyone starts with 

https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Bethesda_Tutorial_Layout_Part_1 

Once you get started, we can begin a thread for you. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me :)

1. Hello, I have no experience in the creation kit but eager to understand it so I can help out.

2. Since I never done anything like this before, I want to know what I can do first before starting to develop a sort of preference to certain things.

3. I would be up for whatever means of communication is easier for the teachers, whether it be skype or forum.

4. I have interest in working in whatever projects need more people to get it done. If I had to choose, probably Iliac Bay or Elsweyr.

5. Why do I want to do this? Besides trying to develop some sort of constructive hobby at the side, I really want to give back to the Skyrim community having played over 3000 hours worth of Skyrim thanks to mods. It would be nice to see any of the projects succeed, and even more so to have contributed towards it.

Hi :) 

I am a teacher with the Arcane University and also the landscaping lead for Elsweyr so would be more than happy to teach you landscaping if you are interested.

To start, the following tutorial is excellent! https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Bethesda_Tutorial_Layout_Part_1 

Let me know if this is of interest and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me

1 person likes this

Posted

1. I have a little experience in the Morrowind and Oblivion creation kits but only minimal knowledge in the Skyrim creation kit. I am very eager to learn and help out though.

2. I'm interested in doing anything.

3. A forum thread would be most comfortable for me.

4. I'm most interested in Expedition to Atmora or Roscrea: Voices of the Deep, but I'm not picky. 

Posted

1. I have a little experience in the Morrowind and Oblivion creation kits but only minimal knowledge in the Skyrim creation kit. I am very eager to learn and help out though.

2. I'm interested in doing anything.

3. A forum thread would be most comfortable for me.

4. I'm most interested in Expedition to Atmora or Roscrea: Voices of the Deep, but I'm not picky. 

Hello and welcome :)

I am part of the Arcane University and am running a class on Level Design if you are interested. We are on a Discord server https://discord.gg/Pra4zHS

Feel free to come over and join in the lesson on the level_design channel. The tutorials we are going through are here https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Bethesda_Tutorial_Layout_Part_1

I am around most evenings (I live in the UK, so if you have any questions I will be here to help you then)

Welcome to Beyond Skyrim!!

Posted (edited)

5. (Optional) You can also post a bit about yourself and why you want to learn here if you wish.

1. I have never used the Creation Kit.

2. I would prefer to do Dungeons and Interiors, but am willing to do Landscapes.

3. I would prefer to use a forum thread.  I rarely use Skype.

4. I am interested in working in Atmora, Thras, Elsweyr, and Roscrea.

5. It should be noted that I am in school, though this shouldn't affect too much, especially over the summer months.  I want to learn here and work on the whole of Beyond Skyrim because I love the idea of expanding Skyrim with multiple massive and independent stories.  Beyond that, working on the project and learning here should assist me in having content for a portfolio when attempting to move on to working with a company as a level designer or writer.

ALSO I intend to work my way through the Bethesda tutorials alongside/outside of this, for whatever that's worth.

Edited by Lanforge