Spectral Dragon

Student Application Thread (3D Assets.)

This thread is for anyone wanting to learn the creation of 3D assets so they can join the Beyond Skyrim project. We are excited about new members and hope to see their shiny new assets!

Please fill out the following information to apply and post in this thread:

1. What applications do you use to make 3D assets? You need at minimum Nifscope, a modelling program, and a image editing software. (Blender, GIMP to give an example.)
  2. What kind of assets are you interested in learning to make? (Architecture, Creatures, Clutter, ect.)
  3. What is your preffered way of learning (Having a thread is required, but if you prefer to see things in skype for example list that here.)
  4. How much experience do you have in making Assets?
  5. You can also post a bit about yourself and why you want to learn here if you like.
Edited by Spectral Dragon

Sign me up! :)

I am interested in making trees, I may move on to architecture. I figure architecture is easier to do than trees because the shapes are less organic and more square like (easier to create).

I have tried Blender, I have a partial skeleton of a tree made. I have 3ds max, but I haven't done much with it yet. I know a little about texturing. I have altered alpha channels and adjusted tree branches a bit. I do not really know much more.

• reaction_title_1 1

Not actually applying now, just informing that I plan to in the future.

Modelling has always been intriguing to me but I feel that personally I can make more use of level design and scripting, so I have already applied and am a student in both of those areas, modelling, as I can see, would take more time and be more involved than the other areas so I think I'll sin up after I've finished in scripting and level design.

• reaction_title_1 1

Wow you guys are great. I saw this on Reddit and came thinking there would be some strings attached and in the end you would ask for money. But wow, Very cool. If all you want is some help with your project i'm totally in. 

What applications do you use to make 3D assets? You need at minimum Nifscope, a modelling program, and a image editing software. (Blender, GIMP to give an example.)

The only real experience I have is in Photoshop and GIMP. My girlfriend is an artist and i enjoy porting her drawings in and editing and coloring them. I've messed around with Blender a small amount (I think I took a tutorial on how to make a cup haha) It seems pretty easy and I think I could get the hang of it rather fast. Any other applications I would be more than willing to learn.

What kind of assets are you interested in learning to make? (Architecture, Creatures, Clutter, ect.)

I'm not sure if you are doing Elsweyr but I am very fascinated with Khajiit culture and style. I think it would be a fun learning experience to design creatures based that inhabit that land. If not I wouldn't mind doing creatures from another area.

What is your preferred way of learning (Having a thread is required, but if you prefer to see things in skype for example list that here.)

I am a hands on visual learning. Skype or another screen sharing application would most likely work out best for me. I have a pretty good mic also so communication would be rather easy. 

How much experience do you have in making Assets?

Sadly none. I've only done a few dungeons in CK and wrote a small MCM scripted mod to show papyrus latency on the fly. I am a very fast learner though. 

You can also post a bit about yourself and why you want to learn here if you like.

i was never good at writing these :P

Edited by Deepfield
  • reaction_title_1 5

1- I have Nifscope, Blender and GIMP with DDS-plugin and have just instaled them (no showpass virus this time) and have never used them, have been watching some Blender on you tube and used to have photoshop so I have a good idea on how to use photo editing sofware (not normal maps and stuff).

2- Everithing.

3- dont have skype, microphone camera or anything for video chats. Would preffer detailed well made youtube tutorials that I can watch repeatedly when needed but a nicelly writen text could work (Hate reading).

4- Non.

5- I love games and my mind fades into its own dream world immagening everything I could change/make/expand/create with them, can be more fun than the game itself (when you know how and dont get anoyed trying to find it out).

6- sweet rolls.

1- I have Nifscope, Blender and GIMP with DDS-plugin and have just instaled them (no showpass virus this time) and have never used them, have been watching some Blender on you tube and used to have photoshop so I have a good idea on how to use photo editing sofware (not normal maps and stuff).

2- Everithing.

3- dont have skype, microphone camera or anything for video chats. Would preffer detailed well made youtube tutorials that I can watch repeatedly when needed but a nicelly writen text could work (Hate reading).

4- Non.

5- I love games and my mind fades into its own dream world immagening everything I could change/make/expand/create with them, can be more fun than the game itself (when you know how and dont get anoyed trying to find it out).

6- sweet rolls.

See what I mentioned regarding video tutorials. We can direct you to pre-made ones, but it's unlikely we'll have the time or inclination to make entire YouTube tutorials. They take a while, with editing and actually recording them.

1. I can pick up whatever is necessary, within reason. I'm a full time student and my bank account reflects this.
  2. Anything, but I'm most interested in architecture.
  3. Whatever is easiest for the teacher.
  4. None.
  5. I'd like to be able to help out on this project whenever and wherever. I am very much open and willing to learn and I am familiar with visual thinking and conception.

Greetings to all applicants (and potential ones). Just letting you know that we are following this thread with interest, taking a few notes about who is interested and which tools would best serve everyone in this course. As you can guess there's a bit of preparatory work to do on our side, hence our current and apparent "silence". But I'll prepare a more informative post tonight.

• reaction_title_1 1

@Deepfield - Yes, Elsweyr is one of our active province projects and I am the Project Leader. It's probably the slowest because I don't want to distract people who could be working in our busier teams, but anyone with a specific interest is welcome. The main dependency is resources, so when you get your skills up you will be very welcome to contribute. In the meantime, feel free to participate in the Elsweyr forums - like all areas of Beyond Skyrim we welcome input from outside the team.

• reaction_title_1 1

@Deepfield - Yes, Elsweyr is one of our active province projects and I am the Project Leader. It's probably the slowest because I don't want to distract people who could be working in our busier teams, but anyone with a specific interest is welcome. The main dependency is resources, so when you get your skills up you will be very welcome to contribute. In the meantime, feel free to participate in the Elsweyr forums - like all areas of Beyond Skyrim we welcome input from outside the team.

One of my personal goals was to help you get multiple positions filled when I brought this idea to the council. :beerchug:

What applications do you use to make 3D assets? You need at minimum Nifscope, a modelling program, and a image editing software. (Blender, GIMP to give an example.)

I have access to Blender and Photoshop

What kind of assets are you interested in learning to make? (Architecture, Creatures, Clutter, ect.)

I am interesting in learn to make anything really, but really want to learn to make creatures and characters.

What is your preffered way of learning (Having a thread is required, but if you prefer to see things in skype for example list that here.)

I really have no preffered way of learning I try to learn in any and all ways possible.

Haven't actually made any Assets just dabbled in using the 3d software.

You can also post a bit about yourself and why you want to learn here if you like.

I took some 3d modelling and animation classes in high school, but then joined the Army and life got in the way, it is something I have always enjoyed. I also love the world of Tameriel, kind of partial to the Orcs myself, so I think combining the two things I really enjoy would be a good way of learning something I have wanted to learn for a long time.

1. I have 3ds Max Blender Zbrush and Photoshop

2. Creatures and Architecture

3. Thread and chat 

4. I dont have any experience in making assets but i did some concept art

5. I am a student and i always wanted to learn 3d modeling and concept art

Edited by ShadowDragon

blender... when it comes to creatures you might wanna get familiar with the way of rigging animated objects (armors, creatures, in a simple way even bows....). in case you get stuck feel free to ask me.

Edited by Ragna_Rok

1. I have Blender Zbrush and Photoshop

3. I have no preffered way of learning i try to learn in any way possible

4. I dont have any experience in making assets but i did some concept art

5. I am a student and i always wanted to learn 3d modeling and concept art

If you can get a hold of Max or Maya then there should be a teacher for you here.

• reaction_title_1 1

I saw this and I'm interested. 

1. I can get Maya and 3ds max, so either will work. I also have access to photoshop.
  2. Armors, weapons and creatures mainly, but I am open to try other things. I generally prefer Redguard lore, so Redguard related stuff would be cool - but definitely not necessary. E: Khajiit related things too would generally be awesome.
  3. I do pretty well with text based tutorials. I have Skype available too.
  4. I have no experience.
  5. 3d modelling has fascinated me for a long time, and this thread has an opportunity to learn how to do it for a game I've enjoyed, and hope to enjoy, for a few years.
Edited by Nikolaj Poulsen
  • reaction_title_1 1

I Saw this and i am interested

1. I can Use 3ds Max but i am not really that good at it yet and i can also use photoshop really well

2. I am Interested in Weapons And Armor  I also prefer Bosmer Lore , So Bosmer Stuff Would be Cool But Definitely not necessary.

3. I do pretty well with text based tutorials , i can't use skype cause i don't have a good internet connection

4. I have no experience 

5. ( My Main Language Is not English So I am sorry if there is any mistakes Above ) 3d modelling has fascinated me for a long time , and this thread has an opportunity to learn how to do it for a game I've enjoyed

• reaction_title_1 1

Been thinking about applying for a while. I'm gonna do it now. I don't know if you're still taking students, because this thread is always very silent, but I'll give it a shot.

I've got Nifskope and GIMP as well as Blender AND 3dsmax (I COULD get maya too, and other programs if necessary), so I'll work with the one my teacher likes the best.              

Mostly weapons, armor and clutter, I MAY be interested in moving on to plants and creatures, but that's probably much harder anyway.

What is your preffered way of learning (Having a thread is required, but if you prefer to see things in skype for example list that here.)

Thread, skype, private messages, whatever, it dosen't make a difference to me.

Sadly, none at all. I've watched the 3dsmax tutorials, but that's it.

I like modding Skyrim in general, and I've always wanted to become a moodeler, but I've never really had the skill or the time. I've seen other peoples work, and it looks amazing, and I want to be able to make my own great looking things. 

Edited by Paulibobo
  • reaction_title_1 1