Spectral Dragon

Student Application Thread (3D Assets.)

This thread is for anyone wanting to learn the creation of 3D assets so they can join the Beyond Skyrim project. We are excited about new members and hope to see their shiny new assets!

Please fill out the following information to apply and post in this thread:

1. What applications do you use to make 3D assets? You need at minimum Nifscope, a modelling program, and a image editing software. (Blender, GIMP to give an example.)
  2. What kind of assets are you interested in learning to make? (Architecture, Creatures, Clutter, ect.)
  3. What is your preffered way of learning (Having a thread is required, but if you prefer to see things in skype for example list that here.)
  4. How much experience do you have in making Assets?
  5. You can also post a bit about yourself and why you want to learn here if you like.
Edited by Spectral Dragon

Sign me up! :)

I am interested in making trees, I may move on to architecture. I figure architecture is easier to do than trees because the shapes are less organic and more square like (easier to create).

I have tried Blender, I have a partial skeleton of a tree made. I have 3ds max, but I haven't done much with it yet. I know a little about texturing. I have altered alpha channels and adjusted tree branches a bit. I do not really know much more.

• reaction_title_1 1

Not actually applying now, just informing that I plan to in the future.

Modelling has always been intriguing to me but I feel that personally I can make more use of level design and scripting, so I have already applied and am a student in both of those areas, modelling, as I can see, would take more time and be more involved than the other areas so I think I'll sin up after I've finished in scripting and level design.

• reaction_title_1 1

Wow you guys are great. I saw this on Reddit and came thinking there would be some strings attached and in the end you would ask for money. But wow, Very cool. If all you want is some help with your project i'm totally in. 

What applications do you use to make 3D assets? You need at minimum Nifscope, a modelling program, and a image editing software. (Blender, GIMP to give an example.)

The only real experience I have is in Photoshop and GIMP. My girlfriend is an artist and i enjoy porting her drawings in and editing and coloring them. I've messed around with Blender a small amount (I think I took a tutorial on how to make a cup haha) It seems pretty easy and I think I could get the hang of it rather fast. Any other applications I would be more than willing to learn.

What kind of assets are you interested in learning to make? (Architecture, Creatures, Clutter, ect.)

I'm not sure if you are doing Elsweyr but I am very fascinated with Khajiit culture and style. I think it would be a fun learning experience to design creatures based that inhabit that land. If not I wouldn't mind doing creatures from another area.

What is your preferred way of learning (Having a thread is required, but if you prefer to see things in skype for example list that here.)

I am a hands on visual learning. Skype or another screen sharing application would most likely work out best for me. I have a pretty good mic also so communication would be rather easy. 

How much experience do you have in making Assets?

Sadly none. I've only done a few dungeons in CK and wrote a small MCM scripted mod to show papyrus latency on the fly. I am a very fast learner though. 

You can also post a bit about yourself and why you want to learn here if you like.

i was never good at writing these :P

Edited by Deepfield
  • reaction_title_1 5

1- I have Nifscope, Blender and GIMP with DDS-plugin and have just instaled them (no showpass virus this time) and have never used them, have been watching some Blender on you tube and used to have photoshop so I have a good idea on how to use photo editing sofware (not normal maps and stuff).

2- Everithing.

3- dont have skype, microphone camera or anything for video chats. Would preffer detailed well made youtube tutorials that I can watch repeatedly when needed but a nicelly writen text could work (Hate reading).

4- Non.

5- I love games and my mind fades into its own dream world immagening everything I could change/make/expand/create with them, can be more fun than the game itself (when you know how and dont get anoyed trying to find it out).

6- sweet rolls.

1- I have Nifscope, Blender and GIMP with DDS-plugin and have just instaled them (no showpass virus this time) and have never used them, have been watching some Blender on you tube and used to have photoshop so I have a good idea on how to use photo editing sofware (not normal maps and stuff).

2- Everithing.

3- dont have skype, microphone camera or anything for video chats. Would preffer detailed well made youtube tutorials that I can watch repeatedly when needed but a nicelly writen text could work (Hate reading).

4- Non.

5- I love games and my mind fades into its own dream world immagening everything I could change/make/expand/create with them, can be more fun than the game itself (when you know how and dont get anoyed trying to find it out).

6- sweet rolls.

See what I mentioned regarding video tutorials. We can direct you to pre-made ones, but it's unlikely we'll have the time or inclination to make entire YouTube tutorials. They take a while, with editing and actually recording them.

1. I can pick up whatever is necessary, within reason. I'm a full time student and my bank account reflects this.
  2. Anything, but I'm most interested in architecture.
  3. Whatever is easiest for the teacher.
  4. None.
  5. I'd like to be able to help out on this project whenever and wherever. I am very much open and willing to learn and I am familiar with visual thinking and conception.

Greetings to all applicants (and potential ones). Just letting you know that we are following this thread with interest, taking a few notes about who is interested and which tools would best serve everyone in this course. As you can guess there's a bit of preparatory work to do on our side, hence our current and apparent "silence". But I'll prepare a more informative post tonight.

• reaction_title_1 1

@Deepfield - Yes, Elsweyr is one of our active province projects and I am the Project Leader. It's probably the slowest because I don't want to distract people who could be working in our busier teams, but anyone with a specific interest is welcome. The main dependency is resources, so when you get your skills up you will be very welcome to contribute. In the meantime, feel free to participate in the Elsweyr forums - like all areas of Beyond Skyrim we welcome input from outside the team.

• reaction_title_1 1

@Deepfield - Yes, Elsweyr is one of our active province projects and I am the Project Leader. It's probably the slowest because I don't want to distract people who could be working in our busier teams, but anyone with a specific interest is welcome. The main dependency is resources, so when you get your skills up you will be very welcome to contribute. In the meantime, feel free to participate in the Elsweyr forums - like all areas of Beyond Skyrim we welcome input from outside the team.

One of my personal goals was to help you get multiple positions filled when I brought this idea to the council. :beerchug:

What applications do you use to make 3D assets? You need at minimum Nifscope, a modelling program, and a image editing software. (Blender, GIMP to give an example.)

I have access to Blender and Photoshop

What kind of assets are you interested in learning to make? (Architecture, Creatures, Clutter, ect.)

I am interesting in learn to make anything really, but really want to learn to make creatures and characters.

What is your preffered way of learning (Having a thread is required, but if you prefer to see things in skype for example list that here.)

I really have no preffered way of learning I try to learn in any and all ways possible.

Haven't actually made any Assets just dabbled in using the 3d software.

You can also post a bit about yourself and why you want to learn here if you like.

I took some 3d modelling and animation classes in high school, but then joined the Army and life got in the way, it is something I have always enjoyed. I also love the world of Tameriel, kind of partial to the Orcs myself, so I think combining the two things I really enjoy would be a good way of learning something I have wanted to learn for a long time.

1. I have 3ds Max Blender Zbrush and Photoshop

2. Creatures and Architecture

3. Thread and chat 

4. I dont have any experience in making assets but i did some concept art

5. I am a student and i always wanted to learn 3d modeling and concept art

Edited by ShadowDragon

blender... when it comes to creatures you might wanna get familiar with the way of rigging animated objects (armors, creatures, in a simple way even bows....). in case you get stuck feel free to ask me.

Edited by Ragna_Rok

1. I have Blender Zbrush and Photoshop

3. I have no preffered way of learning i try to learn in any way possible

4. I dont have any experience in making assets but i did some concept art

5. I am a student and i always wanted to learn 3d modeling and concept art

If you can get a hold of Max or Maya then there should be a teacher for you here.

• reaction_title_1 1

I saw this and I'm interested. 

1. I can get Maya and 3ds max, so either will work. I also have access to photoshop.
  2. Armors, weapons and creatures mainly, but I am open to try other things. I generally prefer Redguard lore, so Redguard related stuff would be cool - but definitely not necessary. E: Khajiit related things too would generally be awesome.
  3. I do pretty well with text based tutorials. I have Skype available too.
  4. I have no experience.
  5. 3d modelling has fascinated me for a long time, and this thread has an opportunity to learn how to do it for a game I've enjoyed, and hope to enjoy, for a few years.
Edited by Nikolaj Poulsen
  • reaction_title_1 1

I Saw this and i am interested

1. I can Use 3ds Max but i am not really that good at it yet and i can also use photoshop really well

2. I am Interested in Weapons And Armor  I also prefer Bosmer Lore , So Bosmer Stuff Would be Cool But Definitely not necessary.

3. I do pretty well with text based tutorials , i can't use skype cause i don't have a good internet connection

4. I have no experience 

5. ( My Main Language Is not English So I am sorry if there is any mistakes Above ) 3d modelling has fascinated me for a long time , and this thread has an opportunity to learn how to do it for a game I've enjoyed

• reaction_title_1 1

Been thinking about applying for a while. I'm gonna do it now. I don't know if you're still taking students, because this thread is always very silent, but I'll give it a shot.

I've got Nifskope and GIMP as well as Blender AND 3dsmax (I COULD get maya too, and other programs if necessary), so I'll work with the one my teacher likes the best.              

Mostly weapons, armor and clutter, I MAY be interested in moving on to plants and creatures, but that's probably much harder anyway.

What is your preffered way of learning (Having a thread is required, but if you prefer to see things in skype for example list that here.)

Thread, skype, private messages, whatever, it dosen't make a difference to me.

Sadly, none at all. I've watched the 3dsmax tutorials, but that's it.

I like modding Skyrim in general, and I've always wanted to become a moodeler, but I've never really had the skill or the time. I've seen other peoples work, and it looks amazing, and I want to be able to make my own great looking things. 

Edited by Paulibobo
  • reaction_title_1 1

Alright and here I come because I am very uneffective and bad at 3D modelling, which is a shame because I'd love to do such things.

I would only use ZBrush so far. My image editing soft. is Photoshop CS6 (I guess it works as one, right guys ?)

I'd love to make creatures and outfits, because I feel that's what's gonna be the coolest and the easiest to teach/help me in. Yet, I'm interested in architecture and random items too.

Well, you can PM me or open a thread, but I most likely really think that having a Skype chat pannel would be immensely useful and efficient. Otherwise I have an e-mail adress but that's a lot less dynamic.

Specks and craps. I did a very few things so far such as a gobelin and an astronomer suit (this one failed). But I'm willing to keep practicing !

Okay, so, I think it's important to state it as well, I use an Intuos 5 tablet and I manage to get it working on Zbrush pretty well. Also (but that's not a surprise) I have a 20years long practicing time in drawing, sculpting and painting and started using photoshop around 2009. I am one of the BS : Cyrodiil concept artists and I actively worked on artworks for Leyawiin and Sutch.
I have many questions to ask about 3D modelling and I feel like this is a real good place with human interactions, which is quite interesting and better than just watching tutos endlessely and hoping I'll get to see how to overcome one particular problem in one particular process etc...
Tadadaa C:
  • reaction_title_1 2

I have student account on autodesk so I can get 3dsmax or Maya and Mudbox. I can get Gimp as needed too.

Weapons and armor. I really want to learn animation like for creatures I feel that would come easy to me.

PM and Steam chat are fine I use  skype too

none really. I have messed with basic tutorials for 3dsmax and Maya, but I don't know what to do next and I feel I am missing some things assumed I should know

I will be upfront about it, I am autistic and learn different from most but I am very focused and interested in this, I am a visual thinker and have lots of free time to learn.

Edited by Larkuo

1. What applications do you use to make 3D assets? You need at minimum Nifscope, a modelling program, and a image editing software. (Blender, GIMP to give an example.)

3ds Max (I have 2013 but can change) Edit: My version was somehow corrupted, cant download anything below 2014 so Im going with:  Blender, Gimp and Nifscope.

2. What kind of assets are you interested in learning to make? (Architecture, Creatures, Clutter, ect.)

I am most interested in making clutter and architecture.

3. What is your preffered way of learning (Having a thread is required, but if you prefer to see things in skype for example list that here.)

The thread is really the only way I can communicate.

I'm currently learning from tutorials on the internet.

5. You can also post a bit about yourself and why you want to learn here if you like.

Eventually I'd like to create assets for my own mods but that's not for a long time. Right now I want to help Beyond Skyrim however I can and I decided to choose modelling because that is something that I'll need in the future anyway. The problem is my lack of knowledge, I know little about modelling or texturing etc. so if you are willing to teach me I'd be very grateful. 

Edit: Never mind, ServusDei has agreed to teach me.

Edited by iAmAshKetchumWacha

I have 3d max 2012 and several off aircraft modelling on my back also now how to use photoshop a bit

mostly weapons maybe armour would like to make trees and plants

FB chat pm i can to revive my Skype or any outher chat program

some i mostly need help on textures and NIFscope

I lke modeling a lot have been done it for some time

here i want to learn the thing im lacking to become an overal metter modeler for Skyrim and watt haver may come after that

also want learn more so that i can help the comunity whit its projects.

also has im medicaly retired i something to ocupy my time....

• reaction_title_1 1

Hey Cocas, I could help you with making textures and working around Nifscope, but it seems I use different programs than you. I'd recommend checking out the teacher thread and see who would most likely have your closest skillset and programs.  :)

Edited by Argor nash35
  • reaction_title_1 1

im willing to change program for textures no problem there my main on changing problem could be on the 3d side since i seam to figure out how blender works!

my main overall problem at this moment his whit my test sword its shines to much all over ( for my taste any way)and the grip that should not shine does also and alot!

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu23/danielfrancois/ScreenShot2_zpsobsxoi1i.jpg

i know that i my game on medium low setting at this point since my main GPU fried waiting for warranty thing to work should take about a month so for now im on geforce 210 1gm ram.

thanks for the offer and fast reply

Hi I really need a tutor or someone that can volunteer a small bit of time I am having a couple issues with working with blender and skyrim. Mainly getting a newer method to doing this would be nice. I have the ability to import models fine into skyrim however the UV maps and information is either lost or corrupted in this process. I am using the newest version of blender If anyone has a little bit of time I already have a successful mod I created for a dedication to my father It is here
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=421057210
I want to really give back to all those who have taken time out to show support for us and make something new for them to enjoy. I am working on my DK sparklighter from my DOTA2 mod but This is what it looks like in game
https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/11154903_888927424498915_6176596219323476043_o.jpg
I have been everywhere on the internet posting under youtube videos I get offers for help but no one ever actually contacts me. I only have a couple obstacles to get past and I will definitely credit those who can help out.

Blender/Photoshop

Architecture and items (mostly for level design in mind)

You can PM me or use skype to chat if u want. (mostyl text chat since im not a native english speaker xd)

Hmmm.. self taught in making some sorts of weapons and architecture, mostly to learn the tools ( and i still need lots of tips, or shorcuts to optimize my work)
also, im learning about texturing.. knows the basics, but would love to learn in deep

Im really interested in learning about the asset creation process, since il love to be able to design my owns levels, with my own models :)

Bye !

• reaction_title_1 1

<snip>

Please fill out the following information to apply and post in this thread:

​Thank you all for having this up and going. I have given a bit of an introduction within this thread:

http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/9426-recent-grad-willing-to-help-rm/

Above this, here are my answers to the 5 questions:

1. Blender, Gimp, Inkscape (if vector art is needed). All software are the most recent versions. Nif Tools will be downloaded and setup once needed.

2. Currently most of my experience will put me into architecture, but that is only due to the college did not continue my modeling training (instead just giving me an introduction and continue to train me on coding). I do want to get more into some organic modeling, so I assume clutter would be a start, but creatures and plants would also be areas I would branch to. I do not want to keep myself limited to a specialization.

3. I have experienced online learning within my college courses. One-on-one learning styles have not been beyond a forum style learning. Face-to-face helps when words do not work. I do use skype, so if it is needed, I can use it. Due to personal commitments, scheduling may be erratic.

4. Experience in modeling is limited to the course work I have done in college. So I have yet to make any assets for anything beyond coursework. All assets I needed for my programming classes were borrowed, due to the limitations of time.

5. Most of the information about myself is stated in the link to my introduction post. As you may tell, I do tend to get wordy. I have looked at other projects over the past few years, but never had time to participate until graduation. Here at Dark Creations with Beyond Skyrim, I do really like how the community is and how you all have setup the Arcane University. You guys here will greatly help the indie movement and bring to light some awesome game creators!!!

​Thank you all for having this up and going. I have given a bit of an introduction within this thread:

http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/9426-recent-grad-willing-to-help-rm/

Above this, here are my answers to the 5 questions:

1. Blender, Gimp, Inkscape (if vector art is needed). All software are the most recent versions. Nif Tools will be downloaded and setup once needed.

2. Currently most of my experience will put me into architecture, but that is only due to the college did not continue my modeling training (instead just giving me an introduction and continue to train me on coding). I do want to get more into some organic modeling, so I assume clutter would be a start, but creatures and plants would also be areas I would branch to. I do not want to keep myself limited to a specialization.

3. I have experienced online learning within my college courses. One-on-one learning styles have not been beyond a forum style learning. Face-to-face helps when words do not work. I do use skype, so if it is needed, I can use it. Due to personal commitments, scheduling may be erratic.

4. Experience in modeling is limited to the course work I have done in college. So I have yet to make any assets for anything beyond coursework. All assets I needed for my programming classes were borrowed, due to the limitations of time.

5. Most of the information about myself is stated in the link to my introduction post. As you may tell, I do tend to get wordy. I have looked at other projects over the past few years, but never had time to participate until graduation. Here at Dark Creations with Beyond Skyrim, I do really like how the community is and how you all have setup the Arcane University. You guys here will greatly help the indie movement and bring to light some awesome game creators!!!

​PM Alpine or quote him in the Available Teachers thread, linking here. See if he'll take you.

• reaction_title_1 1

Hello folks, 

you might've seen some of my work around. From the enthusiasm of some people around here I gather I am capable of making good-looking meshes, but since I am actually quite new to all this, I am still inexperienced.

Thus, I only recently noticed I was missing some essential skills. It dawned on me that modeling was about more than just making a mesh that was about the same polycount as skyrim's meshes. This is what brought me here. I am confident in my modeling ability, but lack some essential skills for making a finalized product.

I use blender to make my models, and used to make armor and creatures (they are simpler to rig than to make collisions for statics in my opinion). For contact, I'd be happy to use the thread, skype, DC chat, anything really. Currently I am mainly interested in statics and clutter.

Stuff I really want to learn:
-more intricate blender methods (modifiers and armatures and stuff). I only recently began using these and they are so much easier that dragging vertices around... I want to learn more about them!
-highpoly meshes: best ways to make em, when to make em in the modeling process (after textures/UV's, before them?). how to actually bake em into a normal map
-Uv-Mapping: I have no idea how you guys make such skyrim-esque UV maps with nothing more than the default blender tools, which with me always seem to yield an exploded mess.
-implementation: I've been working with collisions a bit, but there's a lot of NifSkope stuff I never explored yet and I'm sure it is possible to do it better and faster than the way I do it now.

My other useful skills include basic papyrus scripting (I know my way around java quite well) and creation kit.

If someone were to take me up as their humble student, I'd be eternally grateful and I would make the stars themselves sing of their generosity

Some of my work:

rapier03.png

Auroran20.png

Tower07.png

Edited by magicspook
just some stuff
  • reaction_title_1 3

Your meshing work is incredible.  :)  For UV mapping, a lot of folks don't use the built-in unwrapping tools for the very same reasons you've mentioned in your post.  Have you ever played around with UVLayout?  It seems pretty straight-forward & the least-clunky of tools available to do it (IMHO).

​Thank you! I've never used UVLayout before, and while I could download the free demo, it seems a bit extreme to me to spend at least $100 on a tool for a hobby.

• reaction_title_1 1

None of the above.  :)

It's possible that a lot of the teachers on here are inactive, too busy to be able to feel like they'd be able to give any potential students the attention they need & deserve, the specific things you've called out may be out of reach for what they specialize in doing - or some varying combination of those.

Please don't take it personally.  :)

• reaction_title_1 2

None of the above.  :)

It's possible that a lot of the teachers on here are inactive, too busy to be able to feel like they'd be able to give any potential students the attention they need & deserve, the specific things you've called out may be out of reach for what they specialize in doing - or some varying combination of those.

Please don't take it personally.  :)

​I don't. i was joking. Damn the internet for not conveying subtleties.

Edited by magicspook
  • reaction_title_1 1

It seems to me nobody will reply to my request, does this mean

"go learn by yourself you idiot"

or

"go approach potential teachers on your own you lazy ass!"

?

Actually, it's the second one. I myself waited a long time, till I finally decided to go out and contact someone. You'll have to go the same route, or you probably won't get noticed. See if there's anyone you'd like to work with in the "Available teachers thread", and PM him.

Edited by Paulibobo
  • reaction_title_1 1

Actually, it's the second one. I myself waited a long time, till I finally decided to go out and contact someone. You'll have to go the same route, or you probably won't get noticed. See if there's anyone you'd like to work with in the "Available teachers thread", and PM him.

​Correct, if we take every student 99% of them drop out within the first week. The ones that nag the heck out of me are the ones I tend to pay attention to.

• reaction_title_1 1

​Correct, if we take every student 99% of them drop out within the first week. The ones that nag the heck out of me are the ones I tend to pay attention to.

​There is this dutch saying, which is roughly translated into english: 'those who ask get skipped' (it actually rhymes in dutch). It is often said to children who are ungrateful bastards and demand candy and the like. I guess the saying isn't true in this case :P

• reaction_title_1 1

​There is this dutch saying, which is roughly translated into english: 'those who ask get skipped' (it actually rhymes in dutch). It is often said to children who are ungrateful bastards and demand candy and the like. I guess the saying isn't true in this case :P

​Yep, the difference here is that anyone who has "nagged" me are simply eager, and it always shows.

• reaction_title_1 1

To put it in perspective: Since I started 3d, I have tried to help(actively) 12 people. The guy who got the furthest managed 2 months, and 2 finished models. The one who quit first did so after 1 day, just opening 3ds max. The amount of hours I used to spend guiding new people is quite huge. Giving feedback, improving models, digging up tutorials, etc. All that time has been a huge waste - none of them ever continued with 3d.

Really, if somebody doesn't really want to learn 3d , to the point they are willing to pretty much throw a brick through my window (Easier said than done at 6th floor...), then I have no interest in helping them. Because I know they won't make it. As one of my economics teacher told me "Learning is suppose to be hard and painful. If it's not, you are not learning anything new". 

And to add another point to the whole mystery why I (I do not dare to speak for the rest of the teachers, but I assume it applies to them as well): I am extremely busy. 3d modelers always got stuff to do around here, and it piles up quickly. Now, that does not mean I won't help anybody; But I am not seeking you - you need to seek out me. Do not mistake this for "Oh, he's too busy. I don't want to be a bother" - I/we love to help! I/we don't love to waste time, though. If you are not 100% sure you want to learn, then don't. 

Oh, and the "resources for new 3d artist" is a gold mine of knowledge for any 3d artist. Even if you do not use 3ds max (Why wouldn't you? Autodesk does not check if you are a student or not. Heck, I am a economic student; What right do I got to use it? ;) ), then all the knowledge works. Arrimus3d covers everything you need to know about 3d. If you are able to find the same tools in blender(Or any other software), such as extrude, inset, bevel, connet, cut, meshsmooth/turbosmooth, etc. Then I recommend you just watch through all his videos (100+).

• reaction_title_1 4

-I'm currently using Blender to learn how to create meshes
    -I'll pretty much be using Nifscope, GIMP and Blender

-At school I'm majoring in Art History with a minor in Economics and absolutely love Architecture. I find it's one of the best ways to fully understand different cultures and helping to bring the architecture of the TES provinces to life would be a dream come true. That being said I'm still a huge novice so I'll have to work my way up but I am more than willing to spend the time to learn!

-So far I have used a mix or online wiki guides and video tutorials on youtube to start. If a guide is detailed enough I find reading to be an excellent way to learn but if I actually had a mentor over skype that would be even better!

-Little to none. I've just done some basic box modeling and messing around. I still don't even know how to fully utilize the sculpt tool.

-I've been extensively lurking these forums for the past year and have always wanted to apply but finally have the time and tech to do so now. My name is Peter and I've been messing around with learning the very basics of modeling since I got my new computer and would really like to help out with the project. I love the TES games, and Final Fantasy. As I said earlier I'm studying both Art History and Economics and I think 3D modeling would be a great way to actually apply the knowledge I have gain from my studies so far. I have also been a rower for what is now going on 8 years!
  • reaction_title_1 1

1. I would love to learn as much about environment design as possible. And armor modding would be nice too. I have access to Photoshop, 3DS Max (16) and Zbrush.

2. Im interested in making anything that pertains to filling up the environment. Trees, rocks, architecture, basically whatever can be taught to me. I would also like to be able to be better at texturing and understanding maps a lot more.

3. Other than threads probably a Skype session for lengthy critiques or I could send screenshots and have someone write notes and corrections on it and send it to me by email.

4. Im a 2D visual development student but I want to be able to design and build my own models as well. I have a basic understanding of Zbrush and I'm slowly learning 3DS Max on my own.

5. Student in art school in San Francisco, CA, US. Im looking to get hired at a gaming studio as a concept artist but I feel learning as much as  I can about the process of asset creation is really helpful.

Hope to hear back from someone soon!

• reaction_title_1 1

1. I use Blender for modelling, nifscope, Mudbox for high poly sculpting, photoshop to touch up my textures.
  2. I want to learn Armor and weapon modelling (Including skinning and rigging.)
  3. Forum thread alone is fine although skype would be highly beneficial.
  4. I am already knowledgeable about the basics of blender and modelling.
  5. Armors was what I originally had an interest in for modelling, and Beyond Skyrim is lacking in terms of Armor Modellers. I can work on any armor claim in any province for the purposes of learning.
  • reaction_title_1 1

I'm in need of some guidance in order to to go from this horrible monstrosity that is likely to induce depression in a concept artist :

2bVFC9g.png 

To something that looks more similar to this concept:

cTRqQOI.png

and is usable in game. I'm aware this will take quite a bit more knowledge of UV mapping and texturing than I currently have, so I would say those are the main skills I'm interested in getting some guidance in at this point; I feel fairly confident that I can figure out on my own the modeling portion for the simple objects I want to make.  I'd be happy to simply be pointed at the appropriate tutorials, or if someone has a little more time to be more involved that would be awesome too. 

• reaction_title_1 1

I have a process involving ZBrush and polypainting that I use personally. Unfortunately I use Max for my UV unwrap process and it looks like you're using Blender here. Spectral Dragon or Kettlewitch would probably be the best people to talk to in regards to Blender.

The mesh could use a few more edge loops to smoothen it out as well.

1. I use 3dsMax and Gimp.
    1. Creatures and Actors mainly, but also Items.
    1. Videos, written instructions, the thread will probably work fine.
    1. Absolutely none
    1. I started modding about 3 weeks ago, and since then have learned a lot about working in the creation kit to make quests, characters, factions, scripts, and other things like that. However I've not been able to really create anything new due to a lack of knowledge on 3d modeling. I'm hoping to gain some experience here regarding that.

I'm in need of some guidance in order to to go from this horrible monstrosity that is likely to induce depression in a concept artist :

2bVFC9g.png 

To something that looks more similar to this concept:

cTRqQOI.png

and is usable in game. I'm aware this will take quite a bit more knowledge of UV mapping and texturing than I currently have, so I would say those are the main skills I'm interested in getting some guidance in at this point; I feel fairly confident that I can figure out on my own the modeling portion for the simple objects I want to make.  I'd be happy to simply be pointed at the appropriate tutorials, or if someone has a little more time to be more involved that would be awesome too. 

First things first, in object mode set the shading to "smooth."

Then, you need to edit your UVmap by hand, directly. This is not a fun process but can be done by dragging the lower left corner of the screen over, and in the new window setting it to "UVEditor." You will need to put the object into edit mode and manipulate the vertices by hand to get the best results.....

• reaction_title_1 1

First things first, in object mode set the shading to "smooth."

Then, you need to edit your UVmap by hand, directly. This is not a fun process but can be done by dragging the lower left corner of the screen over, and in the new window setting it to "UVEditor." You will need to put the object into edit mode and manipulate the vertices by hand to get the best results.....

Yeah, so I've got the UV worked out mostly, with the exterior of the vase unwrapped as one sheet, the vertexes of which i made into a rectangular grid with x/y align commands. I've got a vectorized placeholder texture on it right now that tiles at least, but I'm putting this one on hold until I get a little more texturing experience in order to do it justice.  I'm going to work on retexturing some TR assets, and come back to this hopefully.

lZKtRVA.png

Edited by Escha
  • reaction_title_1 4

1. 3ds max for basic modelling, mudbox for sculpting (and trying to learn how to touch up textures with it) and gimp for texturing. 
    1. I have been working on making architecture and basic clutter. I'd also be interested in making a few weapons and trying my hand at armor sets, but my primary focus is architecture/clutter.
    1. Someone to chat with, skype works well and I learn best by example.
    1. I've just started 3d modelling as of a couple of weeks ago and I'm enjoying the modelling process, but I'm struggling a bit with understanding texturing. 
    1. My primary interest is making interesting architecture for Beyond skyrim. Modelling in 3ds max has been a blast and I picked up a lot of the basic techniques. The biggest issue I have run into so far is texturing in gimp. I know very little about texturing in general and I need someone to take me under their wing and run me through the basics of texturing. If no one is willing/able, I'll continue making textureless assets on my own and I could probably hand them off to somebody that knows how to texture. 

Greetings all.

I currently write for the Morrowind team, and see many great models being produced. Whether it's amazing architecture, beautiful weapons, stunning sets of armour, or anything else, I'm always wishing that I could do something like it. And so, I've decided to learn how to model. I've downloaded Blender and GIMP, and am looking for someone (assuming they're free), to take me on.

I am at a boarding school at the moment, and so tend to stray between having extended peiods of free time (holidays and half terms), and my very busy school timetable. As a result of this, there will be periods where I will be able to do nothing whatsoever, so I will completely understand if people would rather take on somebody who's regularly going to be able to make progress as a modeller, but if someone is happy to take me on, then that would be brilliant.

As I implied earlier, I have no modelling experience whatsoever. I don't know whether I should be saying what kind of thing I'm looking to model, but I'm not particularly fussed as to what I might do. If it helps, I'd like to  (someday) be making models for Morrowind.

Thanks for taking the time to read :) !

• reaction_title_1 1

Greetings,

Ive been doing some basic modelling and tutorials in Blender and wouldnt mind picking up some more specific pointers for contributing here.

1. Blender, nifscope, etc

2. Clutter, architecture, jewelry is oddly satisfying

3. Forum Thread

4. Beginner

5. Id like to see Morrowind and Black Marsh finished so i hope to focus my efforts there. Lord knows we need it.

I currently have both Blender and GIMP installed but am willing to learn any other program if that is what is needed.

I am interested in learning to make weapons and armor but would be willing to learn about anything to be taught.

3. What is your preferred way of learning (Having a thread is required, but if you prefer to see things in skype for example list that here.)

I would prefer to learn via the thread only.

I have a little experience (I modified a preexisting helmet but couldn't get it to work in-game).

I have always had in interest in modding for skyrim and have been adding mods to my game for as long as I have owned it. I especially love armor and weapon mods because of how awesome they are. I have also been watching this project for a long time now and have decided if I was going to help I would have to learn how first. If any of you would be kind enough to take this young modder under your wing I would be eternally grateful

1)Nifscope,Blender,gimp,photoshop

2)Architecture and clutter for now due to the high level of organic shapes and creatures after I have more experience.

3)Prefer video tutorials, if you could provide links with topics or possibly make a video that would be great; Have Skype for help, criticism, and guidance.

4)Built a base mesh for a small object, been working on building a house base mesh and its coming along nicely, opened nifscope edited a mod then got out of there since I had no idea what I was doing.  Done some work in gimp with file conversions making an overlay for a streamer and a few other simple projects but would like to learn to use photoshop since it seems faster.

5) Thought about joining and time commitment before I joined so I promise I won't abandon after a bit of "work".  Enjoy 3d modeling and often get absorbed into high detail when I do it.

6)(yesi'mcreatinga6)(what do I need to learn) How to operate nifscope,applying textures, backfaceculling solutions if it is important after base mesh, collision meshes,  basically all but how to build base meshes.

-look forward to learning and creating with this community.^_^

Edited by Ravenz_

1. I want to learn how to use 3D Max and Zbrush, they seem to be good.

2. I'm not sure, to be honest. I'd like to try my hand in everything and then think on what I like most. 

3. I can use Skype if needed, but forums are preferable. 

4. Little to none, honestly. 

5. Well... I'm Waffles' friend, if that counts for anything.

Edited by Slesar
  • reaction_title_1 1

1. I want to learn how to use 3D Max and Zbrush, they seem to be good.

2. I'm not sure, to be honest. I'd like to try my hand in everything and then think on what I like most. 

3. I can use Skype if needed, but forums are preferable. 

4. Little to none, honestly. 

5. Well... I'm Waffles' friend, if that counts for anything.

I've started a thread for you, so let's move on over there. 

I've got Blender, 3DS Max 2015 with Nif plugin(I'd prefer to learn Blender though since it's not as confusing), Gimp, and Nifskope, which I haven't really touched.

I want to start simple, with clutter and then possibly graduate to other assets like weapons and armor, etc. then architecture, and finally, creatures, since those require scripting.

3. What is your preferred way of learning (Having a thread is required, but if you prefer to see things in skype for example list that here.)

Forums are nice; videos or screens definitely help out a lot since I'm a visual learner mostly.

I haven't made assets before for Skyrim - mainly did texture work for MC resource packs with Paint.net and toyed around with MCAnimator. Wanted to get into scripting animations, but haven't yet. The interior claims I'm doing for Cyrodiil are the first time I've actually gotten into the more technical aspects of modding beyond other basic aspects of the Creation Kit, such as editing abilities and creating races, etc.

Well, I'd just like to be able to develop a more well-rounded skillset, as there are a lot of ideas I've wanted to pursue in the past but have been limited on the technical end as I'm geared toward writing, etc. I've got a lot of time on my hands as well due to extenuating circumstances so I can understand if there aren't any folks available at the moment. I plan on pursuing it regardless of whether anyone here is able to assist.

I've got Blender, 3DS Max 2015 with Nif plugin(I'd prefer to learn Blender though since it's not as confusing), Gimp, and Nifskope, which I haven't really touched.

I want to start simple, with clutter and then possibly graduate to other assets like weapons and armor, etc. then architecture, and finally, creatures, since those require scripting.

Forums are nice; videos or screens definitely help out a lot since I'm a visual learner mostly.

I haven't made assets before for Skyrim - mainly did texture work for MC resource packs with Paint.net and toyed around with MCAnimator. Wanted to get into scripting animations, but haven't yet. The interior claims I'm doing for Cyrodiil are the first time I've actually gotten into the more technical aspects of modding beyond other basic aspects of the Creation Kit, such as editing abilities and creating races, etc.

Well, I'd just like to be able to develop a more well-rounded skillset, as there are a lot of ideas I've wanted to pursue in the past but have been limited on the technical end as I'm geared toward writing, etc. I've got a lot of time on my hands as well due to extenuating circumstances so I can understand if there aren't any folks available at the moment. I plan on pursuing it regardless of whether anyone here is able to assist.

We talked a little bit on skype, but if you'd like I can make a thread here if you want to learn a bit of 3DS max. Let me know if so?

• reaction_title_1 1

3ds Max and I'v recently started to learn Substance Painter. I am willing and will learn Nifscope and an image editing software.

Architecture, Clutter, Weapons and Armour.

What is your preferred way of learning (Having a thread is required, but if you prefer to see things in skype for example list that here.)

Either way or both suit me fine although my mic is broke but I will be getting a new one as soon as possible.

Well, I would say maybe basic to intermediate although I am self thought so I have no doubt that I missed out on alot of the fundamentals etc, the why's and not just the hows if that makes sense xD

I want to learn here because I love The Elder Ecrolls and 3D Modeling and I want to help out but sadly I am not really confident in my abilities as a 3d Modeler yet. I have made a nice few models so far (mostly high poly and not UV'd or textured) but I understand modeling for games is a whole lot different.

I have recently (very recently) started learning to UV and texture aswell.

hey guys just need help on the work flow on using neftskope and BSAopt. I have experience in modelling and sculpting, I sue 3DS max and mudbox, I can also unwrap, but I just need help on extracting models in skyrim and the generic workflow like on how to get models from skyrim into 3DS max and similar things to this, someone from iliac bay directed me here.

my portfolio: www.shihab.me.uk

Edited by shihab10
needed to change some wording.

hey guys just need help on the work flow on using neftskope and BSAopt. I have experience in modelling and sculpting, I sue 3DS max and mudbox, I can also unwrap, but I just need help on extracting models in skyrim and the generic workflow like on how to get models from skyrim into 3DS max and similar things to this, someone from iliac bay directed me here.

my portfolio: www.shihab.me.uk

OK, I'll make a thread for you, let's head over there

Want to learn Blender... also know Nifskope, Speedtree, Topogun, Max, ZBrush

Architecture, Clutter

Here and Discord

A lot... :D

Well everyone knows who I am lol. I want to move away from Max and familiarize myself with Blender. In the process I may assist with the development of the Blender nif plugin if I can wrap my head around it. For now though I just want to get an understanding of how a typical modeling workflow goes in Blender.

Edited by Meliodas

What applications do you use to make 3D assets? You need at minimum Nifscope, a modelling program, and a image editing software.

I have Blender, 3dsmax 2014/2016 and Maya 2014 as well as Photoshop CC and NifSkope 2.0

I have most "experience" with Blender, and I know the ropes of Photoshop.

What kind of assets are you interested in learning to make? (Architecture, Creatures, Clutter, etc.)

I'm fine with anything, clutter and architecture looks very interesting.

What is your preferred way of learning?

I'm fine with the thread and can use skype if you'd like.

Very basic, have made a couple of simple stuff objects like barrels, mugs etc. No experience with texture work etc.

I'd like to learn making 3d assets because I want to help out with BS in more than one way.

I'm currently learning level design as well but I tend to hop between multiple tasks so learning this too will make me one step closer to being a jack of all trades ;)

• What applications do you use to make 3D assets? You need at minimum Nifscope, a modelling program, and a image editing software.

I use 3D Max 2012 (don't mind learning blender) and photoshop, NifSkope, also have zbrush. I have learned how to use 3D Max and made a dagger and got it's UVW map. Would like to learn more about it, and learn how to texture.

• What kind of assets are you interested in learning to make? (Architecture, Creatures, Clutter, ect.)

All of it.

• What is your preffered way of learning

In a thread is ok.

• How much experience do you have in making Assets?

What I said on the first one :3

• You can also post a bit about yourself and why you want to learn here if you like.

I've always wanted to try and mod skyrim, and don't mind helping in the BS project. I am Portuguese, 20, Male. 

First Models:

Image1.png

Edited by TiagoLPS

• What applications do you use to make 3D assets? You need at minimum Nifscope, a modelling program, and a image editing software.

I use 3D Max 2012 (don't mind learning blender) and photoshop, NifSkope, also have zbrush. I have learned how to use 3D Max and made a dagger and got it's UVW map. Would like to learn more about it, and learn how to texture.

• What kind of assets are you interested in learning to make? (Architecture, Creatures, Clutter, ect.)

All of it.

• What is your preffered way of learning

In a thread is ok.

• How much experience do you have in making Assets?

What I said on the first one :3

• You can also post a bit about yourself and why you want to learn here if you like.

I've always wanted to try and mod skyrim, and don't mind helping in the BS project. I am Portuguese, 20, Male. 

First Models:

Hidden Content

My main workflow uses Zbrush + Max + various texturing software for pretty much everything. I can help you learn the ropes of the workflow/software if you'd like.

My main workflow uses Zbrush + Max + various texturing software for pretty much everything. I can help you learn the ropes of the workflow/software if you'd like.

Sure! I'd love to! :) 

• reaction_title_1 1