Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HR - Norvulk Hills [7-9]

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Norvulk Hills Regional Thread:

This is the regional thread for Norvulk Hills. Please place screenshots, pictures, questions, and comments related to the Norvulk Hills here. This region contains portions of the following claims, 7, 8, & 9. If you are developing a section within this region, please use this thread. 

Map Within Spoiler - credits Waffles

large.IB_biome_map.jpg.e2970b91c45d9367e

large.IB_biome_guide_HR.png.12d2f51e63d6

General Description:

• Hilly and rocky greenlands, floodplains on the Bjoulsae River banks

Cities & Settlements:

• Windkeep

To Do List:

• This Regional Development is Critical
  • A lot of the ground textures need to be reworked. The region is very confused at the moment and there are cut offs of textures throughout the entire region - fixed by Hessux
  • The current textures being used in the hills must be replaced they are too consistent with vanilla skyrim and must be changed to the ones more in common with the bay area. HRIlliacFieldGrass01 must be replaced with BSKLSummerFieldGrass01 - fixed by Hessux
  • HRKLEGrass06 must be removed entirely from the region - Currently it is predominant in eastern portion of the region. - fixed by Hessux

Primary Textures Used:

• BSKLSummerFieldGrass01 - Lower Areas
  • BSKLSummerForestGrass01 (All Versions) - Higher Areas
  • LRocks01

Secondary Textures Used:

• LDirthpath01
  • HRIlliacForestGrass01 - Use sparingly - Try to make this type less predominant than what it currently is.
  • LDirt02
  • HRCorn

Flora Used:

• Ink Cap
  • Lavender
  • Thistle
  • Yellow Clover

Trees Used:

• Oak - Region should be mostly Oak
  • Maple - Possibly if someone wanted to get a retexture of the maple trees done into oak trees. WE DO have a retexture of the big maple with oak leaves. Please replace all large maples with the same model but the one with oak leave textures.

Temperature & Weather:

• Temperature
    • (North): Essentially temperate, with average temperatures around 10-15 C (50-60 F) and extremes of 20 C (68 F) during the height of summer and -10 C (14 F) during midwinter.  Comparable to the RL temperature ranges of central England and Wales.
    • (South): Warmer temperate region, comparable to southern England and northern France.  This region is particularly uniform because of the regulating effects caused by the Eltheric Ocean on the western coast and by the Iliac Bay.
  • Weather
    • Clear - 25%
      Cloudy - 40%
      Fog - 15%
      Rain - 15%
      Thunderstorm - 5%

Map Within Spoiler - credits Waffles

large.IB_temp_map.jpg.88943d81326917687f

large.IB_temp_guide.png.14655df7fa16f5d0

Edited by Alois
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Awesome! Care to share a few screens?

Do you plan to continue through 8 & 9?

I didn't notice that they were completed, I thought they were WIP. I will post some pictures soon, but i don't really have any b/a pictures. And I can continue to do the whole forest.11f45243bc9023082951b13ac23275d2.thumb.j

Here is a screenshot of the area, (the grass isn't loaded on the north cell but exists) and I plan to remove a lot of the threes, especially maples and replace some of them with oaks.1cd91dfe9202fd25d9dc015f25a65db4.thumb.j

Here is what the some areas looked before. 

But also something i'd like to discuss: Is it OK to use the darker oak? I think it's alright, but I am not sure does it fit the overall area feeling? 

6307d7e4f71481f8b6516557e7593abd.thumb.j

Edited by Hessux
Added pictures.
3 people like this

Posted

I would try using only the lighter oak in this region actually to give it a different feeling than Western High Rock. Western High Rock uses a lot of the dark oak, but not any of the lighter oaks. I would stick to using the lighter oaks in this case or using a few of the darker here and there. Sorry for the delayed response

Posted

Finally got around replacing all the land textures. I will now start on replacing the maple trees with the lighter oak. This will take a while, I suppose.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi! so there are two types of lighter oaks, well maybe there. There should be one that looks exactly like the light maple. It is the same tree with different leaves. It may be a bit hard to find at first, but it should be in there

Thanks for replacing the land textures, I will remove that from the list

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for replacing the land textures, I will remove that from the list

There is also a lot of "mis-placed" textured assets. Currently, I just worked the correct texture around them to unify them, and I think that looks decent. I could also replace all the textured assets, but I think the point of the creator has been to create more diversed landscape, so if I replace them, the result might not be as good.

1 person likes this

Posted

There is also a lot of "mis-placed" textured assets. Currently, I just worked the correct texture around them to unify them, and I think that looks decent. I could also replace all the textured assets, but I think the point of the creator has been to create more diversed landscape, so if I replace them, the result might not be as good.

Well, I would do what you personally think looks best and nice. You may have to get rid of some assets that really do not belong in the area even though it makes it more diversified. For example, pines really should not be in this area, unless they are bordering a region that contains pines. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, I would do what you personally think looks best and nice. You may have to get rid of some assets that really do not belong in the area even though it makes it more diversified. For example, pines really should not be in this area, unless they are bordering a region that contains pines. 

Yeah, got it. I have replaced most of the really-non fitting stuff, if it was not possible to do anything with it already. I will continue to do the same.

And soon 1000 rep Alois!

2 people like this

Posted

If this is the claim that contains that random Imperial camp, can you get rid of it?  I'm not sure why it's there in the first place, and with our finalized lore for Evermore's kingdom it makes even less sense for it to be there now.

Actually, it was in my claim 7 so I removed it immediately. I didn't like it either, and the ownerships were fucked up. I am just not comfortable removing/replacing stuff from the finished claims.

And for a small rant..  the whole claim 7 is really poorly made. I have to recheck almost everything placed, because I have encountered a few levitating trees. Also the village is located very dumbly, at a very stuffed area. When you walk 100 meters from there towards Gavauldon, there are huge plains without anything there, and I don't want to put forest there because Norvulk isn't a forest. As of now, i just put a lot of shrubs there, but the village would be way better at the plains. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Wind Keep can't be moved west, though, because Gavaudon is going to be a decently sized town too (about Riverwood-sized or slightly bigger), so we need to keep the two towns from being too close together and making things unnecessarily cluttered.  Also, Wind Keep is in Evermore's kingdom, not Wayrest's, which is another reason why it can't move west - the borders between the kingdoms have now been defined.  If it needs to be moved, I'd suggest trying to find a way to move it a little more to the east instead (but not too far - again, it needs to be located around this area relative to both Gavaudon and Evermore) and possibly further inland.

Also, last time I checked this claim for myself - which was a while ago because of the recent .esm trouble, so it may have changed - there are some random houses scattered around in this area east of Wayrest (including something called Rolgald's home I think).  All of these are probably going to have to be removed in order for us to build Gavaudon and the re-sited Wind Keep properly.  If there's still space for a couple of farmhouses later, that'd be great, but I don't think we should have to sacrifice good placement for two of our major towns because soneome else put down random and unplanned houses in those claims.

Edited by Sage of Ice
1 person likes this

Posted

Wind Keep can't be moved

I'm fine with that. But should I just do rocks and shrubs then, for the large area?

Or do you have anything else planned for there?

Posted (edited)

Aphren's Hold, a ruined Breton fort, will go somewhere in between Gavaudon and Wind Keep, probably either on - or at least close to - the banks of the Bjoulsae River.  Since we don't have the tileset yet for Breton castles and forts, though, that's just going to have to be left blank for now until we can build it with the right assets.

Rocks and shrubs are fine, but you can put trees there too.  Just because it isn't a forest doesn't mean there can't be patches of woodland and copses of trees.

Edited by Sage of Ice

Posted

Aphren's Hold, a ruined Breton fort, will go somewhere in between Gavaudon and Wind Keep, probably either on - or at least close to - the banks of the Bjoulsae River.  Since we don't have the tileset yet for Breton castles and forts, though, that's just going to have to be left blank for now until we can build it with the right assets.

Rocks and shrubs are fine, but you can put trees there too.  Just because it isn't a forest doesn't mean there can't be patches of woodland and copses of trees.

Yeah, yeah. I do have trees there, do not worry. I will leave space for the fort, though.

Posted (edited)

At some point a very large number of those forts are going to have to be replaced with the Breton castle/fort set anyway, so we might as well just wait.  For the forts already built, I assumed the plan was that we would keep the same layout of the forts, just with replaced pieces.

As Deeza already mentioned (I think in more than one thread), it doesn't make any sense for there to be any style of fort other than Breton in High Rock - the prolific number of forts built by various Breton powers over time would have allowed Imperial (or otherwise) forces to just repurpose existing Breton forts rather than build new ones in their particular cultural style.

E: Besides, if we can get permission for the set already made by the Lordbound group, we could start building with it right away, while still waiting for CaffeineStew to finish his own set as an additional variant.

Edited by Sage of Ice