Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HR - Norvulk Hills [7-9]

38 posts in this topic

Posted

1cf63d647a53422a7d5bbc9b79d0c04f.png

WTF is this monstrosity? I have tried everything to get it removed but it won't. I'm in the middle of process of removing random pine assets from the area. Soon, I think I have removed all the trees.

And just to confirm to save myself time, is it OK to leave the maple shrubs there? I am not placing them, but a lot of them exists already. I think of removing them.

3 people like this

Posted

I know, its awful! It is the LOD that quite a few people keep mentioning. It will show up whenever you get close to it. There is not a way to remove it until a new LOD is generated and it is extremely frustrating. This was sort of the reason why we did not get a promotional video out for our anniversary because these blurry LOD trees and mountains keep showing up in so many areas, which will not go away. We need someone to re-generate the lod.

Yea, you can leave the maple shrubs

2 people like this

Posted

I know, its awful! It is the LOD that quite a few people keep mentioning. It will show up whenever you get close to it. There is not a way to remove it until a new LOD is generated and it is extremely frustrating. This was sort of the reason why we did not get a promotional video out for our anniversary because these blurry LOD trees and mountains keep showing up in so many areas, which will not go away. We need someone to re-generate the lod.

Yea, you can leave the maple shrubs

Okay, good to know. I will create a thread later to show the area when it's ready.

Meanwhile.. 1000 rep!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7390/9035375442_a99ca528ba.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I have now deleted everything I wanted to delete - I started to develop this but run into a problem..

9d94406bf2c82174113f3c52a3f19c1f.jpg

These rocks are the only ones with the SummerField texture :P Should I use them? I think it looks good, but again, I am not a lore expert. On the right you can see the current rocks for measure. They have the wrong texture. (And ignore the LOD tree)

When I am done, is it OK to create a new thread for Claim 7 or should I just put the corresponding parts of claims to the regional threads?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Actually, fewer rocks in this instance would be better if possible.  The banks of the Bjoulsae River aren't supposed to be made up of cliffs, but should be a smooth transition between the river and the land surrounding it.  To answer your specific question though, I think the rocks you're proposing on the left look better than the current ones too.

From what I've seen, we're also going to have to make the Bjoulsae substantially bigger in order to fit with its lore description, since right now it's much too narrow.  We'll probably have to expand it equally to the north and the south in terms of the river's width, so you may want to keep that in mind as you go through this claim.

Edited by Sage of Ice

Posted

Actually, fewer rocks in this instance would be better if possible.  The banks of the Bjoulsae River aren't supposed to be made up of cliffs, but should be a smooth transition between the river and the land surrounding it.  To answer your specific question though, I think the rocks you're proposing on the left look better than the current ones too.

From what I've seen, we're also going to have to make the Bjoulsae substantially bigger in order to fit with its lore description, since right now it's much too narrow.  We'll probably have to expand it equally to the north and the south in terms of the river's width, so you may want to keep that in mind as you go through this claim.

Yep. I wasn't doing basically anything with the river itself anyway. Because there is nothing on the Hammerfell side, could it be expanded more to there? And I will reduce the amount of rocks. Should I also make the riverside less steep? And lastly, should I transform all the rocks in the area to the yellow variant. Would make the area a lot cooler, it would fit with the oaks and the nearby Gavauldon forest.

And to fit the theme of this post... :D

8ae0fcf3ff68a9681894c11e1a9940a0.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

There's going to be some settlements on the Hammerfell side of the river too, although none of them will be as large as either Wayrest or Gavaudon.  I suppose expanding it onto the Hammerfell side more than the High Rock side might work, but I'll have to check it again before I'm 100% sure.

I would agree with making the riverside less steep.  The Bjoulsae River is supposed to be surrounded by fertile floodplains, and empties into the Iliac Bay via a delta.  Having high, cliff-like river banks just didn't match with its lore description.

I'd suggest trying to find a balance between the yellow and grey rocks, rather than just replacing all the grey rocks entirely.  Perhaps have the yellow rocks stay more near the river, and have the grey rocks start appearing further inland?  The Wrothgarian Mountains are all made of grey rock, and Gavaudon Forest and the Norvulk Hills are technically part of the eastern spur of the Wrothgarians.  We could then use the yellow rocks on the south side of the river in Hammerfell's territory, blending into the Dragontail Mountains.

Edited by Sage of Ice
2 people like this

Posted

I have now deleted everything I wanted to delete - I started to develop this but run into a problem..

9d94406bf2c82174113f3c52a3f19c1f.jpg

These rocks are the only ones with the SummerField texture :P Should I use them? I think it looks good, but again, I am not a lore expert. On the right you can see the current rocks for measure. They have the wrong texture. (And ignore the LOD tree)

When I am done, is it OK to create a new thread for Claim 7 or should I just put the corresponding parts of claims to the regional threads?

You can make a new object in the CK that replaces certain textures, if you want to use a different grass texture. This tends to happen whenever a new area is landscaped. Just make sure you follow the same naming conventions as the other rock sets for HR.

This tutorial shows how: http://www.darkcreations.org/hoddminir/re-texturing-in-the-creation-kit

2 people like this

Posted

There's going to be some settlements on the Hammerfell side of the river too, although none of them will be as large as either Wayrest or Gavaudon.  I suppose expanding it onto the Hammerfell side more than the High Rock side might work, but I'll have to check it again before I'm 100% sure.

I would agree with making the riverside less steep.  The Bjoulsae River is supposed to be surrounded by fertile floodplains, and empties into the Iliac Bay via a delta.  Having high, cliff-like river banks just didn't match with its lore description.

I'd suggest trying to find a balance between the yellow and grey rocks, rather than just replacing all the grey rocks entirely.  Perhaps have the yellow rocks stay more near the river, and have the grey rocks start appearing further inland?  The Wrothgarian Mountains are all made of grey rock, and Gavaudon Forest and the Norvulk Hills are technically part of the eastern spur of the Wrothgarians.  We could then use the yellow rocks on the south side of the river in Hammerfell's territory, blending into the Dragontail Mountains.

Okay, I have done that, but: There needs to be a new LOD generated as the rocky cliffs are still shown far away. I just thought to mention this now, so I don't forget it.

1 person likes this

Posted

cfcb28ef7e3ce90724f68adf12c1a2c1.jpg

Huh. Some really WIP pictures of the new refurbished Norvulk after I redid all of the river base's landscape. This is the new small road to Hammerfell, and the only "Mountainous" area of Norvulk Hills river base. My pace of work will still be kinda bad for the upcoming weeks, but atleast I still got something done, haha. Still the new landscape needs completely new trees, plants, different ground textures, etc. Lot of work still, I have not done anything designing the floodplains.. 

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

OK, so after looking at it again, I think I know what's wrong with the Bjoulsae River.

Whoever initially designed the river set the water table/level way too low and didn't follow the river width "designed" by the contours of Morcroft's heightmap.  This is particularly obvious just outside Earthtear Caverns, where the water level drops so far down that the only way to connect the two levels of the river was with a gigantic waterfall.  That's why I think whoever designed the river added those cliff meshes on either side of the river - because the water level isn't as high as it's supposed to be, it ended up being much narrower and sitting down in a "canyon" of sorts, rather than filling up the entire riverbed like it was supposed to.

I still think we could widen the river as well, but I think the main thing that needs to happen is that the water level just needs to be risen by a great deal.  We'll still probably have to have some waterfalls at certain points so that it can reach the level of the water in the Iliac Bay at the river delta.

Edited by Sage of Ice
2 people like this

Posted

OK, so after looking at it again, I think I know what's wrong with the Bjoulsae River.

Whoever initially designed the river set the water table/level way too low and didn't follow the river width "designed" by Morcroft's heightmap.  This is particularly obvious just outside Earthtear Caverns, where the water level drops so far down that the only way to connect the two levels of the river was with a humongous waterfall.  That's why I think whoever designed the river added those cliff meshes on either side of the river - because the water level isn't as high as it's supposed to be, it ended up being much narrower and sitting down in a "canyon" of sorts, rather than filling up the entire riverbed like it was supposed to.

I still think we could widen the river as well, but I think the main thing that needs to happen is that the water level just needs to be risen by a great deal.  We'll still probably have to have some waterfalls at certain points so that it can reach the level of the water in the Iliac Bay at the river delta.

Yeah. It looks awesome, that I now quickly looked how it looks like. It gives so many possibilities to the area, that I am really excited to work with the river now! Honestly, it now looks just the way it was supposed to and descends to the bay nicely. Shame my Creation Kit crashed when I was finished with it so I can't post screenshots, but trust me it looks amazing! (It was only a crude version, took 10 minutes, so don't worry :D

But when I am finished with this area, it's going to be so different and more beautiful than it currently is! The change is amazing with the river, so hyped up! I will start working on it tomorrow. 

4 people like this