Sign in to follow this  
Spectral Dragon

Student Thread: Sonemer

It's me, from the High Rock recruitment thread.

1. I've learned most of what the Bethesda tutorials show but haven't gotten into lighting or npc/enemy pathing and scripting yet.

2. Mostly dungeons, maybe some interiors.  Landscaping would be cool, but I'm not sure if I have the right mind for that.

3. Through the forum's just fine.

4. For now High Rock, although if Cyrodiil is using the Oblivion dungeons I'd actually enjoy converting and improving set layouts.

5. At first I was over at the Skywind site but they seem to have their dungeon work almost finished, so I looked around and found what looks like something a lot more interesting to contribute to.

Ok, it looks like you already got started, if you could post some screenshots for me here I can figure out what holes need to be filled in what your learning.

I was wondering, what's the opinion on the use of the nordic dungeon kit in beyond skyrim?  It seems to have the most diversity but obviously it's skyrim based and maybe too "old" to make much use of.

I was wondering, what's the opinion on the use of the nordic dungeon kit in beyond skyrim?  It seems to have the most diversity but obviously it's skyrim based and maybe too "old" to make much use of.

We have a few near skyrim but those are claimed.

Again, if you could post some screens of what you have done so far it would be beneficial to me; mainly I can figure out where to start filling in the gaps of your knowledge. You can also describe what you have done here. To take a screenshot you can hit the "Prt Scr" or "print screen" button while the creation kit is up and go into photoshop or gimp or your image editing software of choice, make a new file with the dimensions of your screen resolution, then right click and paste.

I get this warning when I angle the stream piece it says, is it fixable?

I tested it in-game and the water seemed to be only a visual effect, does the stream have to be flat for it to have displacement physics?

If it's not fixable, what else can I use?

post-6076-0-89100000-1421222150_thumb.pn

Edited by Sonemer

I haven't been doing much with this for awhile but I've gotten into it now, here are the results of learning and applying ck knowledge for a night.

Here's the stream I was talking about in the last post, there will be a waterfall from it to the lake below of course.

post-6076-0-36887100-1421222034_thumb.pn

post-6076-0-64480600-1421222037_thumb.pn

post-6076-0-51375100-1421222040_thumb.pn

Any tips on cluttering the area with rocks, cliffs, ledges, etc for this and any cave built later?

Was using pillars for the cliff platforms by the stream a good idea?

Also how does landscaping work with caves?  I know it's used in Blackreach and it's a must have for any large floored cave or else you seem to have to do what I did with the pillars to add variation.

Edited by Sonemer
  • reaction_title_1 2

I haven't been doing much with this for awhile but I've gotten into it now, here are the results of learning and applying ck knowledge for a night.

Here's the stream I was talking about in the last post, there will be a waterfall from it to the lake below of course.

Any tips on cluttering the area with rocks, cliffs, ledges, etc for this and any cave built later?

Also was using pillars for the cliff platforms by the stream a good idea?

This might be a dumb question but how do I make these images larger, I'm assuming I need to be doing something other than linking back to a gallery?

When posting click More Reply Options. Then attach the file of your image, and then add the attached file to your post with the button that pops up after attaching the image.

• reaction_title_1 1

attachicon.gifCave1-1.png

attachicon.gifCave1-2.png

attachicon.gifCave1-3.png

Was using pillars for the cliff platforms by the stream a good idea?

Also how does landscaping work with caves?  I know it's used in Blackreach and it's a must have for any large floored cave or else you seem to have to do what I did with the pillars to add variation.

Linking back to a gallery is actually what I was hoping you would do: I can click on any picture and see them in their actual size here.

That warning up top you can ignore since it's basically telling you it fixed the problem for you, just hit "yes to all,"

Skyrim uses many mushrooms in caves like the one you just made. I would use those, and some rock objects found under caves => rocks. You can also use rubble piles and such. I would put a lot of this kind of stuff in but it all depends on who or what is using the cave: if you are putting bandits here obviously the bandits need tables, chairs, places to sleep, something to cook and eat with, ect.

You can start the cluttering off by putting a waterfall in, just type in waterfall in the filter box. Speaking of I would actually put a lot of clutter around that stream to make it look like it is an indented part of the cave, rubble piles and rocks would work well for this. You can also put another floor above that one and then use the rubble piles and rocks to fill in the gaps you will inevitably make.

What have you done in terms of lighting yet? We can get straight into that if you want.

EDIT: the difference between blackreach and a regular cave is that blackreach is actually it's own worldspace: if you go into the cell window and drop the dropdown where it says "interiors," you will find blackreach near the top of that list. I can teach you how to make a convincing interior in a worldspace if you like.

Edited by Spectral Dragon
  • reaction_title_1 1

You can also put another floor above that one and then use the rubble piles and rocks to fill in the gaps you will inevitably make. (in the paragraph you talk about the stream)

/                                     /

What do you mean by this, a floor where?

I haven't began and nor do I have much of a clue about lighting yet, i'll clutter first.

After this cave i'll try interior worldspaces, it would definitely be helpful with something like the area I used pillars for cliffs.

You can also put another floor above that one and then use the rubble piles and rocks to fill in the gaps you will inevitably make. (in the paragraph you talk about the stream)

/                                     /

What do you mean by this, a floor where?

I haven't began and nor do I have much of a clue about lighting yet, i'll clutter first.

After this cave i'll try interior worldspaces, it would definitely be helpful with something like the area I used pillars for cliffs.

I apologize for not getting back to you on this in a timely manner, I seem to have missed this. Are you still interested in continuing?

Hi, I know it's been a very long time now but over the past few months I've been generally better familiarizing myself with the creation kit.  I finally jumped into designing a dungeon when I found this quote: “Nothing will stop you being creative so effectively as the fear of making a mistake.”

Also I've attached the esp of what i have so far, figured it's easier to look at hands-on than to try interpreting a 2d image of often complex creation kit work.  If for whatever reason this is inconvenient I'll just stick with screenshots.

I scrapped the previous dungeon due to it being the slightly messy and inefficient results of me only starting to learn, I'm liking the results of this new project probably due to a new mindset I've gained for level design now.

The cell name is Sonemer001.

SonemerFirstDungeon.esp

Edited by Sonemer
  • reaction_title_1 1