Sign in to follow this  
Spectral Dragon

Student Thread: Rimaka84 - Spectral Dragon

1. Little to none, though after posting this I will be going back into the editor and looking up some tutorials to familiarize myself again. The last time I'd opened it was years ago using a Bethesda tutorial.
  2. I am interested in all, but I would want to specialize in Dungeons & Interior if that is most needed.
  3. Can use any tool.
  4. For interior&dungeon design, I feel like I could be flexible. Hammerfell would be preferred, but I can adapt to other scenery.
  5. I've been a student of World Design since I was very young, starting primarily with Warcraft 3. I've crafted dozens of complete & incomplete maps&campaigns and actually am still working on a campaign to this day. I have an unnatural love for Fantasy universes (Elder Scrolls, Warcraft, Dragon Age, etc... ) and would really love to try and get into some level design for Skyrim, with the aim to assist this project if I'm able to become a skilled designer. World / Level Design is my passion and I would love to try and be a part of this. Either way, I'm going to start self-teaching myself some of the basics of the CK and I wish the entire team the best on this project. =)

Hello, If it's ok with you I am going to start you off with a dungeon, any type you pick is fine but we will be using any DLC assets for now.

To do that, you will need to download this file and replace it in your Skyrim Root folder, it's an .ini file for the creation kit which allows you to load multiple master files, and fixes floating grass: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38180/?

Since you are willing to read other tutorials, I suggest you use this one as well: www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/6951-level-design-complete-assumes-no-experience (Two warnings for you: the first is that this is largely incomplete, and the second is that while this looks like it mostly covers the stuff already covered in the creation kit wiki, it definitely covers more and with relevant information in a more easy to understand order of learning.)

The first thing I like to do is create what is called a "Shell," which is basically the world you will be placing objects in. Inside of the window on your left which is called the object window you will see a selectable "Static" category. This will be the category you will likely need to get the most familair with so for now I will tell you where things are manually in this category. Under this category should be something called dungeons. Pick two types of dungeons, so we can have one flow into the other.

When creating a shell, I like to start with the entrance. For now you can just put a basic entrance in and we will worry about the door hookup later, but going from there you are going to want to think about how your dungeon is layed out. I suggest not making too many doors on the same side of a room (two at most,) because this will cause problems later when we optimize the place with roombounds (I'll teach you that later ;) )

As a challenge, I would like to suggest making a dungeon that is a bit 3D. I also request you put a mesh which shows the sky on the top level so I can teach you dynamic lighting later.

Now, when placing these shell objects you will have an easier time using Snap to Grid, and you can make sure that is turned on by right clicking anywhere in the window you place objects (this is called the Render Window,) and select Render Window Properties and make sure "Snap to Grid" is at 128 and turned on:

gallery_4900_312_18868.png

That's it for now, when you get a basic shell I will critique it and have you change it up a bit with some advanced work, then we will move on to important Cell Lighting setup.