Alois

Student Thread: Lightningbeast

Go ahead and start in creation kit by making a small island.

So here was the best video I came across when I was trying to learn Creation Kit for the first time. It is very detailed on what you need to press and where things are located. https://www.youtube....h?v=0g87PaahBEw

Some things to note when creating a new World Space:

1. Click on World, World Spaces as stated in the video.
  2. It will bring up a large window with a list of world spaces
  3. Right Click and press new, type in the name you want to call it in the editor
  4. IMPORTANT, also type in a name in the name field. You have to name it twice! The name in the editor will refer to the name it is called in creation kit when you want to load it. The name in the name field will refer to what it is called in game when it is loading or when you are traveling to it.
  5. Make sure you select NONE for your parent worldspace. This is important as well. While you can use a parent world space and some videos suggest it, it is best not to use one. The reason being is in game it can cause odd floating objects to appear from skyrim into your world and your wold into skyrim. I have never completely figured this out, so I just always select NONE as the parent world space to avoid issues.
  6. In the upper right hand corner is default land height and default water height. Be careful with these, you could create a lot of work for yourself if you make the difference between the two a lot. A different in 1000 is actually plenty and there is no reason it needs to be much more. Also pay attention if you are typing in a negative number or a positive number. Another thing to take note is if you want the water level to be higher than the land initially or the land to be higher than the water. So, in other words, you have to decide would you rather raise the land to go above the ocean water or would you rather lower land to get to the ocean water. A lot of videos will start with the ocean water higher than the actual land but its a personal choice. Also note, there are also squares of water (water tables) in creation kit that you can place at any height and make as deep or as shallow as you want. So if you are concerned about the ocean water, don't let it concern you much.

This should help you get started for the most part... I will actually leave the next part of this off until you get the basics down. The next part will be creating a load door that you can walk up to, open, and be able to go into to load your world. I think its best to learn the basics in this tutorial and steps before you try attempting that.

At point, I would press the save button, and then save it to your skryim data folder. If it does not default you there and you need help finding it let me know. Type the name in, and save it. It will save the file you named and add a .esp at the end of it.

Launch the Skyrim Launch/Load menu and press data files. It should bring up a menu with all the data files in it similar to what was shown at the beginning of the first video. Scroll down to the bottom and look for your esp file. Make sure your esp file is checkmarked and press okay. This will ensure it will load in game.

Once you have created your world space to load it in the game you just need to press the (`) or the one that has the ~ or ` signs on it and it will create a black box at the bottom of your screen in game. To get to your world space you just need to type "cow yourworldspacenamehere 0,0" It will load your worldspace and place you in cell 0,0.

Oh, also if you can't get things to work right on your first try. Do not worry as even when following the tutorials, I still didn't get things right at first and it can get frustrating, but I can help and just keep trying.

Wow, very good progress!

I do notice the edges of the island are sort of steep and pointy. Try raising more terrain in the water and then clicking the check box for smoothing. That way you can smooth those jagged edges away. While you are at it. Go ahead and do this to the entire front of the island but make the smoothing very gradual and make a large beach. Choose a beach texture that you prefer and then add a lot of smaller rocks here and there.

Okay lets focus on expanding the island on the back side a bit more. It looks like you are using the pine03 texture, so how about adding a forest section to the island by extending the island out. Designing forests is a bit trickery. When you are placing the trees look at the angles of the branches, make sure they are just barely touching as this creates a better sense of a forest that would have grown naturally. In addition, in the thicker parts of the forest, use pine01 forest ground because this is primarily pine needle ground cover, and it looks much more appropriate under thicker parts of the forest.

Another tip about forests: If you notice, most of the time it is very hard to see into a forest because the growth is so dense. However, once you are in the forest, it is easier to see in front of you typically. It is best when you are creating forests to scatter smaller trees on the outside of the forest here and there giving an effect like the forest is expanding outward, but making it hard to actually see inside the forest.

After you are done placing the trees, go ahead and start to add smaller rocks and smaller plants here and there wherever you see fit. Don't forget to add broken trees like you did here, and mushrooms are always a nice touch in the more shady dense areas.

This looks very good. The beach texture is very smooth lightly sloping, and the rock meshes vary quite well making it very natural. I would still really like you to develop a full forest because they are quite difficult to master due to all their variation. Since vanilla pine forests can be quite boring due to the representativeness of only using pine. You had a good start on the previous forest until you lost your file. I would pretty much say you have accomplished most other basic aspects of creation kit, and you do not need many other tutorials, just need further guidance and advice on the work you create. Could you create another island and expand this one about 8- 10 times bigger so you have some room to develop things. I also want you to make a large pond on top of a hill using the water planes. Have this pond be in the woods.  I am going to help you learn how to make waterfalls that look very natural.

Edited by Alois

It's alright. I have only been checking the forums 1 - 2 times a day lately. I just got done with one of my classes with school.

So some tips:

Around the bottom of the stump in the last picture, it would be nice to see the ground texture pine01. Once that is done, put some mushrooms at the base because they typically grow on rotting wood so this would be the perfect place. This texture would also work well if its gently tapped at the bases of the other trees as this texture is pine needles and typically in the wild if you look under pine trees there are less ferns growing under them because of the pine tree naturally dropping their needles.

Another thing is that at the forests edge, typically forest look thicker. This is usually an illusion because there are typically smaller trees that have their leaves closer to the ground making it appear thicker. I would place some pinetree03 trees near and around the forest edges. Do not be afraid to resize these trees a bit to make them smaller because they work in a lot of good places to make baby trees.

EDIT:

You may also want to add some sort of non 3d texture grass under the rocks so the grass does not cut through them

Edited by Alois

Okay So here is information on Waterfalls.

Here is a sort of helpful tutorial for basic waterfalls. I would try following this one first, I remember using this when I first started making them, but then started learning more on my own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmRhaMipL7Q

• Cliff Meshes - These will become your friends are they are essential because the terrain at the top of the waterfall is going to be higher than the terrain below it. Therefore you need to use cliff meshes to hide how steep the terrain (height-map) will be.
  • Cliff Mesh 08- This one is the one with the high rock point on the right hand side and the lower indented part in the middle. (I will make sure this is correct when I get home) The water can go right through the middle on the indent.
  • Mountain Slope - This is very useful on the rolling hills near the waterfall.
  • Use the thinner waterfall meshes. It is typically better to avoid the full fledged thick waterfalls unless you have a massive river, which most of the time you will not.

Note: There are going to be patchy holes in the waterfalls or it will not look exactly right sometimes, trust me... You will have to add smaller rocks and more cliff meshes to fill these holes. It is best to use a lot more rocks and patch up holes using them. My favorite rock that works wonders is Rock04. This rock is very tall and flat and I use it in tons of different ways to patch holes. In addition, you can also use this rock horizontally between two cliff meshes so you have your own indent and make a more customer waterfall, but that is pretty advanced stuff. I think I should make a tutorial on this stuff because its easier to show than explain in words.

Okay, good work!

The ferns are a little thick, but they can be left that way. I would use some the groundtexture pine02nograss underneath the rocks since it looks like you have been using that in rockier areas. You may think nograss textures are a waste of a texture space, but they definitely needed because they help the area look less crowded so you can place other smaller plants and flowers, which are needed to make the area look more natural. I would also add some pine pushes here and there as well

Ok i think i am done with the island fixed the things about the ground texture and i did a waterall BUT i left my computer in sleep mode so when i reaturned the ck crashed (can you help me with this) the things that were saved are in the screenshot and can i start doing a mountin town or a little village :D

post-6642-0-25331000-1425726650_thumb.jp

Edited by LightingBeast

Just make sure you always save before leaving or doing anything other than the CK. Save while using the CK. Turn on the autosave feature - it will autosave whenever you don't have an open window in the CK. This doesn't mean you shouldn't still normally save when you have autosave on, but it should help.

You can turn on autosave by going to the Preferences icon on the toolbar (next to the floppy disc Save icon - white hand thing) and then going to Misc. Turn on Autosave and set it to 2 minutes. Press Apply - autosaves should now be working. Again, this does NOT mean you can stop saving normally nor should you, but it should help. Especially for a level designer who might not have as many windows open at a time.