Sign in to follow this  
exit

Student Thread: exit

Just making this topic as a place holder for Spectral :)

Here's the image of the worldspace (will probably need quite a lot of reworking in the heightmap):

ejZYV1R.jpg?1

Thanks! :)

• reaction_title_1 1

Y0f1OTV.png?1

Not very good at all it looks like. This is an image taken at 0, 0 which is roughly around here:

CyXANcM.jpg?1

Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of tearing so I probably need to go back to the heightmap and smooth it all out?

How are you importing? TESAnnwyn?

What is your source application?

To me, it looks like your height is inverted but that could be an artifact of the CK screenshot.

There is a limit to how steep a slope can be, which will cause tears, but first: are the tears all at the same height? It's very possible you have either your bit-order wrong or that your heightmap uses greys in the bright half of the gamut, which the import process will interpret as negative.

Once you have the import process working, I would go back to your heightmap editor and try to improve it there anyway: it's easier to sculpt the overall geography in terrain mapping tools than it is in the CK.

• reaction_title_1 2

How are you importing? TESAnnwyn?

I am importing using TESAnnwyn using this command:

tesannwyn -i Skyrim -w Tutorial -p 1 -b 16 -d 6144x6144 -x -96 -y -96 -h -8192 test.raw

What is your source application?

If you mean to produce the heightmap, it's L3DT with Sapphire used for the 3D sculpting. Looking at the image, it does appear inverted but testing this in game, it definitely forms a river bed/is the correct depth. I also am pretty sure I set InvertY to false when exporting the RAW.

There is a limit to how steep a slope can be, which will cause tears, but first: are the tears all at the same height? It's very possible you have either your bit-order wrong or that your heightmap uses greys in the bright half of the gamut, which the import process will interpret as negative.

The slopes are quite odd to me. Some of these hills were formed by Perlin Noise so I imagine there might be some issues there. The image taken in CK in the above post is actually a ridge at 100 metres. I made sure to put a shelf of land underneath it at 80 and then another at 60 and I smoothed the entire ridge using a smoothing tool so I don't know why CK would figure this as too steep. The riverbeds themselves go down to 40 and slope up to 60 but, as you can see, CK doesn't view it as a problem :S I've included an image of my heightmap from L3DT if that makes anything easier!

BXMVIyX.png?1

Not quite sure what you mean by bit-order? The RAW was exported as 16-bit unsigned and the colour depth sent to TESAnnwyn was also the same.

Once you have the import process working, I would go back to your heightmap editor and try to improve it there anyway: it's easier to sculpt the overall geography in terrain mapping tools than it is in the CK.

I agree. I would like to make sure that I've caught all the issues CK is producing though (or perhaps something that I'm doing wrong instead!) so that it is fine when I export the heightmap again.

Thanks to both of you for your help with this! :)

Sounds you're approaching this correctly.

Byte order (not bit, sorry) is whether the most significant byte is stored first (Big endian, msb or pc order) of last (little endian, lsb or Mac order). I don't think that's your problem.

Perlin noise will probably cause problems - maybe run a blur over the whole thing.

Can you screenie some tearing at a lower angle so I can see it please? Can't really see what's going on.

A quick note - if you are using photoshop to edit a heightmap, it doesn't import heightmap RAW files very well, leading to pixilated/artifacted maps. It's best to export from the heightmap program as a .png or .tga, edit in an image program, then export from the image program as a RAW.

Byte order (not bit, sorry) is whether the most significant byte is stored first (Big endian, msb or pc order) of last (little endian, lsb or Mac order). I don't think that's your problem.

Ah I see. The byte order is IBM-PC (or PC order).

Perlin noise will probably cause problems - maybe run a blur over the whole thing.

I did a pass over it again with the smooth tool. I did do this before but Perlin Noise makes some very odd jagged lines when you're using a circular shaped tool so it was good to get rid of the few that were remaining :)

Can you screenie some tearing at a lower angle so I can see it please? Can't really see what's going on.

So it's here where I found out what the problem was and it was actually woeful knowledge of using the Cell View in CK (which I guess is all part of this learning process in an odd way!). When I was trying to take a screenshot out of orthographic view, I noticed that the textures actually loaded in, provided I moved over it and allowed CK to load the cell data. As to why it was missing an entire flat plateau of land, I do not know but after testing it in CK and in game, it seems as if the problem has vanished!

As you can see, there is quite a lot of extreme tearing alongside the backs of the mountains. I'd probably put the border region much further in (somewhere in the foothills most probably) so it's not likely to be a problem but would I be better to just erase the mountains and use LOD? I didn't really know how to approach this when sculpting the land. 

In game:

TINvEYN.jpg
g0ibOoq.jpg

In CK (the angle is reversed and from above):

Mi6bU3g.jpg?1

My apologies for effectively wasting your time on what was really a major oversight on my part but it did really help me to find out where the problems actually are, which seem to be confined to higher altitudes so thank you! :)

A quick note - if you are using photoshop to edit a heightmap, it doesn't import heightmap RAW files very well, leading to pixilated/artifacted maps. It's best to export from the heightmap program as a .png or .tga, edit in an image program, then export from the image program as a RAW.

Very early on, I was using Photoshop to stitch together copies of the heightmap so that I could cut out an island from the resulting image but at that time, the landmass was entirely different and has since undergone some fairly drastic changes so any loss from the RAW export from L3DT should be effectively gone but thanks for the point anyway :)

Are you studying to make a custom heightmap, or do you "only" need it as a foundation to do exterior level design?

Both really. I know how to make a custom height map to some degree (although I'm not as proficient as morcroft or others) but I would like to use this as a base to do some level design because I did spend quite a while sculpting it out; it would be great to see the finished product! :)

Edited by exit

Just an update; I think I will go ahead with the region generation and keep this esm on a separate file if morcroft suggests I need to do any cleaning to fix the tearing. At the moment, the tearing seems to be confined to the mountains and where they face away from the PC. I'm also intending to put a border region before that area so if that is true, it should hopefully not be a problem.

Just an update; I think I will go ahead with the region generation and keep this esm on a separate file if morcroft suggests I need to do any cleaning to fix the tearing. At the moment, the tearing seems to be confined to the mountains and where they face away from the PC. I'm also intending to put a border region before that area so if that is true, it should hopefully not be a problem.

Ah good, should we commence with the landscaping instruction then?

Yes. I'll get the region generation done soon and update when that's complete so we can go with the landscaping from there.

• reaction_title_1 2

Yes, definitely. Currently I don't have access to my set up which includes Creation Kit but I should do within a few weeks I hope. Following that, I will be able to resume the lessons fully :)

• reaction_title_1 1