ub3rman123

Student Thread: Matthiaswagg

It's level design time! I'll be supervising as you go through some tutorials. Since you already know the basics of camera control, you can start off with a basic interior. A dungeon, perhaps? Is there a specific tileset you'd like to start with? The Nordic ruins set is probably the easiest to work with in terms of building things. 

• reaction_title_1 1

It's level design time! I'll be supervising as you go through some tutorials. Since you already know the basics of camera control, you can start off with a basic interior. A dungeon, perhaps? Is there a specific tileset you'd like to start with? The Nordic ruins set is probably the easiest to work with in terms of building things. 

Would it be possible if I could begin with landscaping? I sort of started:

https://mwmodding.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/oh-landscaping/

I began-ish on texturing but it's sort of crap now and I need a bit of help with that. I was thinking I could possibly go Landscape (island)>level design (dungeon OR interior) > other level design.

If you'd rather me do something else, I can do that.

Landscaping is fine! Better, actually, since I haven't done proper interiors in a while. 

I'll start off with some comments on the island you have so far. First off, can you post a shot with the cell grid (B) turned on? Helps with getting a sense of scale.

Second, try to make the whole island feel like it's one contiguous mass. By this, I mean that it shouldn't feel like it's just a plain stuck onto a mountain range.

Instead, shape the mountains so they flow downward into a slope that makes up a plain. You generally shouldn't have any areas that are totally flat. To make that sort of thing, I like to use large brushes (size 9 or so), and move things up and down into a vague shape I like, then run it all over with a smooth tool. More smoothing on the plains, less on the mountains. 

Ye gods, that sounded like Bob Ross. Happy little trees. 

Edited by ub3rman123
  • reaction_title_1 1

I reformed some of it, and got you the pictures you wanted. I'm not entirely sure if I did what you asked here, so feel free to tell me if I didn't do it right. :P

http://imgur.com/Z4nFCo6,IDEmC7o,ZMGDuYk,6kUmGLW

I'm going to smooth out a few edges near the town-plateau, but it is relatively small. I can make it bigger if needed.

Edited by Matthiaswagg

For reference, here's what Stros M'kai looked like when I started out. Of course, I'm cheating since it's using a heightmap. Hopefully you can see what I mean when I said to use large brushes, then smooth them out to make sloped areas. There's actually an unsmoothed spot on there along the northern and southern beaches. 

Clipboard02_zps4baed6da.png

It all looks pretty good! Only problem I can see is the mountains. Skyrim's mountain meshes fit best on tall mountains with somewhat flat peaks, which you then cap off with a mesh. You'll be changing the landscape's shape under the mountains as you add on the meshes. 

Edited by ub3rman123

Your mountains are still  too thin and steep. You'll want them to look more with a wide base and a slow taper to the top. Try out fitting some mountain pieces to them; they're found under statics>landscape>mountains. Personal favorite is mountaincliff02. See how the default angles of the pieces fit onto what you have, and adjust the landscape to work with it. 

Remember that your goal with mountains should be to have the landscape fit the mountain piece as much as possible. You shouldn't have huge swathes of mountain statics without any land, but no large area of land without rock sticking up a bit too. 

How did you flatten out the tops of the mountains so well? Did you just do it with the free hand tool?

Edited by ub3rman123

Your mountains are still  too thin and steep. You'll want them to look more with a wide base and a slow taper to the top. Try out fitting some mountain pieces to them; they're found under statics>landscape>mountains. Personal favorite is mountaincliff02. See how the default angles of the pieces fit onto what you have, and adjust the landscape to work with it. 

Remember that your goal with mountains should be to have the landscape fit the mountain piece as much as possible. You shouldn't have huge swathes of mountain statics without any land, but no large area of land without rock sticking up a bit too. 

How did you flatten out the tops of the mountains so well? Did you just do it with the free hand tool?

I'll fix the mountains tomorrow then.

I used the Flatten Vertices.

Yep 1+ years and I never hit the damn B key, you know how hard it is to navmesh a clacks tower that's sitting in the middle of 4 cells and you are stuck with it because of where you placed everything else? Then another one goes flawlessly cause it's square in the middle of a cell.. now I know.. and now I know how to navigate around that in the future :P