Waffles

Hammerfell clothing concepts

Well, since it seems I've been given greenlight to draw whatever my heart desires, I'm starting with something we seemed to be missing, aka common clothing. I've decided to go the same way Skyrim went - two colour variants for each mesh. These are mostly for commoners, I got ideas for noble clothing too but I still need to put them on paper :)

post-6927-0-19100700-1428640409_thumb.pn

And here's some headdress variants.

post-6927-0-59993100-1428640445_thumb.pn

Well, thoughts? Suggestions? Lore people willing to slap me if I get too stereotypical?

Edited by Waffles
  • reaction_title_1 14

I'd consider clothing the single biggest missing assets in HF right now if for no other reason then we can start populating cities with NPC's when we do have some, so major kudo's for jumping straight in here Waffles :)

The "mage†robes could just as easily be for priests/some faction, I really like the bat wing style underarm. I'm honestly not sure about skinning it but the vanilla dragon priest cape uses small planes to do something similar so I'd vote to keep them and if there are problems we have your fall back design ?

The headdress designs are great, they could all be remeshed from the vanilla one (makes skinning very easy) and instantly add a HF buzz to an NPC.

I was actually thinking that face-covering stuff would be useful for desert areas, aka mostly found on Dunedwellers.

I was thinking the deeper you have to go into the desert, the closer to full Burka you need. They would actually obscure the vision of the player but you need it to stay alive (health/stamina drain) in deep desert or during sand storms?

Not magical or anything, just what common peeps use to get around in those conditions.

Anyway, loving it all so far Waffles, thanks for taking the time to do all this :)

Oh man, thank you Kettlewitch! It's very nice to get likes on my post but I was really hoping for some written critique (unless silent likes is how you guys just do things on this forum? haha). Aah this actually reminds me of Wet&Cold Ashes mod from isoku, where your vision would be blurred in ash storms unles you had goggles on. I'm geting sidetracked but it had some very nice chitin&dwemer goggles plus cloth facemasks, maybe we could get permission to use those? I can see them being useful both in here and in Elsweyr and Morrowind.

Sweet, temple priests crossed my mind too! Maybe there could be different recolours with symbols of each god on the back of that cape? I'll have to research more about them gods first though.

Y'all getting more pics tonight :D

Great artwork once again Waffles. Having the commoners (and middle class) of Hammerfell drawn out gives us a good idea of what our cities will look like, populated.

With regards to face covering headgear, I believe there was supposed to be some kind of simulated sandstorm in the Alik'r. Not sure what the status of that is but having that kind of concept art drawn out would certainly be helpful either way.

As for the religion, you may want to read about the Yokudan pantheon. Most of the ideas used in the Redguard philosophy seem to be reminiscent of the Hindu pantheon to me. Sep in particular seems to be an amalgamation of the Hindu triumvirate or trimurti and the concept of yuga (I had to link an old revision of the page since someone seems to have deleted the entire thing in the latest Wikipedia edit).

Hope that helps but if you have any more queries, please post them and I'm sure one of us will try to answer as best we can :)

• reaction_title_1 1

I'm back with more!

First here's some noble clothing. I really love the dress on the right, but I'm afraid I might have accidentally designed a modeler's nightmare, which is why all the detail explanations.

post-6927-0-43411000-1428709721_thumb.pn

Next, as requested, face-covering headdresses plus goggles. (I still yearn after isoku's ones tho, haha)

post-6927-0-42432400-1428709760_thumb.pn

I'd also like to remind people of these Dunedweller helmets which I think are pretty awesome and should totally be modelled :)

I'm gonna tackle the temple variants next. PLEASE VOICE YOUR THOUGHTS!

• reaction_title_1 6

Great work once again! :) I'm not really sure what critique to offer because I can't really see much fault with it personally. Just to clarify, is the top left male or female?

These are gorgeous! They'er all very practical but visually distinct from the clothing we'll see in other provinces.

Have you given any thought to the Yoku/Raga cultural divide? These all feel like they have a very Raga style to them, but if I understand the lore correctly Yoku society is supposed to be in a bit of an upswing at the moment.

In any case, this is wonderful work! Welcome to the project!

I'm afraid I might have accidentally designed a modeler's nightmare

I'm not a character modeller but I'd say you've hit a nice balance between design, detail and practical consideration. Not a nightmare at all, these kind of concepts are perfect to build from imo.

I still yearn after isoku's ones tho.

Isoku's goggles are actually by Volvaga0 (check Isoku's credit's)

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/13133/?

If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of that nexus page you'll find me there, I had a hand in making them so don't see a problem sorting something out when the time comes ;)

What IRL countries/cultures should I use for inspiration

Exit made a good map for this;

http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/Hammerfell_influences/YbijSXwToD

Raga is north African (Algeria to middle east) Yoku is central/western Africa in general.

Ideas for Yoku design;

I've never found a proper home for it but this blog has in depth profiles of various RL tribes;

http://kwekudee-tripdownmemorylane.blogspot.ie/2012/12/mangbetu-people-famous-fashionable-hair.html

imo you could pick any one and get many ideas for everything from new hair meshes, clothes, weapons, you name it.

Rita Wilaert is this amazing photographer from Belgium, I've wanted to do a texture set of these houses from Burkina Faso she posted on her flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rietje/sets/72157615598783227/with/3379128777/

simple but amazing :)

• reaction_title_1 3

Oh wow, thanks a lot, this is all very helpful! 8D I'm seeing a lot of geometrical patterns and such, hmm... Oh man I'm so childlishly excited about the thought of having goggles in our mod, I guess they're just my thing ^^;; hell yes please arrange them in. I'll be very grateful.

Question to lore people - would the temples that worship the Yokudan pantheon be Yoku in design? Would it be weird to see Raga style in them? At least I'm assuming that's how it is; meanwhile Imperial pantheon temples would be Raga I guess (and use the robes I drew). I wanna design amulets for at least some of the Yokudan gods, they'd be ust like in vanilla, giving the same active effect as the shrines do. That's in process now :)

Again, I'm no expert, so this is just what I've gleaned.

I think that the Yokudan pantheon is widespread enough that versions of it, although more significantly Tamrielic in practice, exist within Raga society. Especially given the recent independence of Hammerfell, the Alessian pantheon is beginning to lose followers in places to the Yokudan one.

If you're looking for some visual references, try this.

• reaction_title_1 2

would the temples that worship the Yokudan pantheon be Yoku in design?

This was partially discussed in the There's quite a lot of images there you might find useful.

Edited by exit

If I understand the stylistic inspirations, West and Subsaharan Africa (esp. Mali), with just a pinch of Inca thrown in the mix.

I actually saved what Deeza told me to look out for when he told me about the cultures we'd be looking into, "Remember, we're aiming to avoid making just a grab-bag of Arab and African stereotypes - this has to be blended together into a unique, varied culture which has its own historical path of development.  Bring in Middle Eastern, Ancient Egyptian, Subsaharan African, Persian, even Indian and Aboriginal Australian influences by all means - those are all sources of inspiration that Bethesda drew on to create the Redguard culture.  To go beyond that, we'll need to do the same."

You'll find what I was able to find in the link in my signature. I've found a lot of cool clothing styes for Hammerfell

Edited by Orion the Above Average
  • reaction_title_1 1

In regards to modelling clothes like that, even though they look super complicated, they really aren't. Most of of it is sculpting folds which by themselves add a massive amount of detail and if you look at the major forms of the skirt, the over-skirt and the shirt they aren't complicated shapes at all.

Like KW said, there really is a perfect balance of design because the modeller will be able to take advantage of the fact that folds aren't hard to do but make the mesh look super complicated!

Edited by ekul

Thank you all for the inspiration! Well, like I said, team members should stop me if I get too stereotypical one way or another. I guess I haven't crossed that line yet, ahah.

And ekul, that's a relief to hear! I really hope these won't just remain concepts and I get to actually see them ingame :)

I can't really add much to all the posts above, save that the "traditional Yoku" art style from Tamriel Rebuilt, in which the gods are traditionally depicted, is pretty much our in-house style for the Crowns and even to some extent the Forebears, as Tamriel Rebuilt successfully managed to come up with a unique style that makes all the right associations without being tied to any single real-world culture.

As for clothes, there are a fair number of designs (especially for priests and mages) shown in the intro video for Redguard:

https://youtu.be/OkQ0CvFnc5k?t=101