1shoedpunk

Course Signups

Please apply below if interested. Please include:

1. The level of certification you wish to pursue. You can always change this at a later time. (1-3, descriptions found in the overview thread)

2. Is there a project or mod you intend to use these skills for? If so, what is it for?

3. Have you had any experience with version control or file management? Based on previous experience, some requirements of each course level may be considered fulfilled.

4. Please tell us a bit about yourself.

• reaction_title_1 2

1. The level of certification you wish to pursue. You can always change this at a later time. (1-3, descriptions found in the overview thread)

I believe afaik I have managed to gain the knowledge for level 2 certification mostly on my own with only pointers at muddled wiki pages and partial information on forums. I would like to certify that I have that knowledge and then move on to level 3 or learn what I don't already know in the process.

2. Is there a project or mod you intend to use these skills for? If so, what is it for?

Any province that would need my help in Beyond Skyrim.

3. Have you had any experience with version control or file management? Based on previous experience, some requirements of each course level may be considered fulfilled.

I have successfully merged non-script esp branches from git to my local master branch in High Rock but wasn't able to push them to origin master due to technical constraints while visiting the Philippines.

I'm a cheeky bogan bugger from Australia who used to be a crazy redneck from Tennessee. :) I am a Beyond Skyrim fanatic with a heightened interest in Iliac Bay but a love for all teams and a desire for all teams to have an equal opportunity for success.

Edited by Joseph Crowell
  • reaction_title_1 3

Not unless it's a general requirement of the Arcane University. I'm happy to train students who would be using this for personal use or other projects.

​It is, but this isn't a hard-coded rule I have set down as I have not needed them thus far. If you are happy teaching anyone that is fine.

1. The level of certification you wish to pursue. You can always change this at a later time. (1-3, descriptions found in the overview thread) - Up to and including level 3
  2. Is there a project or mod you intend to use these skills for? If so, what is it for? - Beyond Skyrim: Morrowind, possible personal projects done at a much later date.
  3. Have you had any experience with version control or file management? Based on previous experience, some requirements of each course level may be considered fulfilled. - Yes, I was the previous merger for BS: Hammerfell, and have been managing the BS:Morrowind Merging with Version Control.
  4. I was initially a house modder, but have branched off to learn a tiny bit of scripting, implementation, some modelling, and I have done a lot of writing in the past. I have been with beyond skyrim for a little over a year at the time of this post and have gradually given myself more and more to do for the project. Currently I am consolidating my work so as to set up a better personal workflow.
Edited by Spectral Dragon
  • reaction_title_1 3

For both of you guys, I think we can do levels 1 and 2 a bit differently than how I plan on doing them usually. Since both of you have managed Gits for provinces before, certification on levels 1 and 2 will be based on the work you did there. I think the best way to approach this would be to review both the Morrowind and former Hammerfell Git and ask you about any issues I see, mention any major problems (if any) and explain the issues they present, and discuss philosophy and strategy with you. I'd also want to use the opportunity to show you a few new tips and tricks for the Git that we've figured out. That should cover level 1.

For level 2, since you both have some experience with the Version Control I'd want to touch on your workflow, but I think TES5Edit would be the focus of most of the discussions. It has a role in the merging process and bug-resolution process that isn't immediately obvious and, in some ways, counterintuitive to how the program is usually used. I would also want to show you a few of the more advanced Version Control features as well as how to check out vanilla forms like the hair list and NAVI record.

Level 3 would be done after both the above are done, but unless there are any major scheduling conflicts I expect that to be done in the next couple of weeks.

Are you okay with me opening up a student thread with those Git reviews or would you prefer for me to do that via PM? As Morrowind's Git is active I understand if you'd want to do it in private.

• reaction_title_1 2

1. The level of certification you wish to pursue. You can always change this at a later time. (1-3, descriptions found in the overview thread) - Level 3
  2. Is there a project or mod you intend to use these skills for? If so, what is it for? - When the moratorium is lifted, any Beyond Skyrim project that would need a CanMerge certified level 3.
  3. Have you had any experience with version control or file management? Based on previous experience, some requirements of each course level may be considered fulfilled. - I've used VC 1 or 2 times but I have no clue if it worked, it was some time ago.
  4. I got into modding with the original Travel to Cyrodiil mod and "The Nirn Project", both of which have since become Beyond Skyrim in the months leading up to the CK's release. Most of the original work and organization from back then is gone, as are the members, but I still love the project and want to do anything and everything I can to help it succeed. I believe in the ideals of the CanMerge project and have always wanted to learn Version Control, as it is one of the few tools I believe to be completely necessary to a BS Project's long-term survival.
  • reaction_title_1 2

​1. Level 2, for now, but I might (probably) want to go on to 3 later.

2.The upcoming Black Marsh project might need someone who knows this stuff, and I guess that's me. Also, I'm interested in this stuff.

3. No, not really.

4. Well, I've been around here for a little while now, and I've gotten involved in a couple of projects, most recently Black Marsh, which is starting up now (http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/7992-getting-involved/?page=6) and everything I know about modding, I have learned in the AU, this is where I started modding. Anyway I think VC will be important to Black Marsh, and even if it weren't, I'd probably apply anyway, just because I'm interesed in it :P.

• reaction_title_1 2

On 6/10/2015 at 5:00 PM, 1shoedpunk said:

Level 1 certification, hopefully I'll be able to move on to level 2 and 3. 

I'd hope to join one of the BS teams in the future, and for general file management knowledge. 

Not at all, I'm a complete noob and I don't really know what I'm actually signing up for. 

Well, I'm prepared to learn, hopefully get started with learning during this summer whilst I'm on break and have a lot of spare time.