Sign in to follow this  
1shoedpunk

[Student Thread] Spectral Dragon

Sorry for the delay in getting this up. I will be going through the more recent stuff on the Morrowind Git, but I had a couple questions about things I noticed on there.

First - I notice that the main branch doesn't appear to be locked to only the file manager. Are all members pushing directly to the main branch? If so - is there a reason you are handling it this way rather than having members start their own branches for new work and merge into the main?

Second - I noticed a plugin in the main branch containing references to DLC assets. How is this being used? Is there a reason it hasn't been pushed to BSAssets or BSMorrowind for merge into a master? I'm concerned that adding an additional master to plugins may cause problems with the merging process. If forms in that plugin overlap with forms in BSMorrowind, there is a risk of getting corrupted records on merge. If you don't have appropriate permissions on BSAssets to submit new branches, let me know and I will fix that.

Also - a list of the required software for Levels 1 and 2. Please let me know if there is anything here you don't have or if you have any questions.

• The latest version of Skyrim and the Creation Kit
  • The latest version of BSTamriel and BSAssets
  • Git and Gitextensions or the GUI of your choice.
  • TES5Edit's latest version, including all scripts, especially Mathor the Eternal's merge script
  • A hex editor - I prefer HXD
  • A text editor - I prefer Sublime text. For now the base editor is fine, but there is a definitions package for Papyrus available that will be required for Level 3
  • A BSA packer/extractor. The base one that comes with Skyrim isn't ideal - I prefer BSAOpt.
  • Wrye Bash or another program that will allow you to alter your load order and .esmify .esp files.

Sorry for the delay in getting this up. I will be going through the more recent stuff on the Morrowind Git, but I had a couple questions about things I noticed on there.

First - I notice that the main branch doesn't appear to be locked to only the file manager. Are all members pushing directly to the main branch? If so - is there a reason you are handling it this way rather than having members start their own branches for new work and merge into the main?

Second - I noticed a plugin in the main branch containing references to DLC assets. How is this being used? Is there a reason it hasn't been pushed to BSAssets or BSMorrowind for merge into a master? I'm concerned that adding an additional master to plugins may cause problems with the merging process. If forms in that plugin overlap with forms in BSMorrowind, there is a risk of getting corrupted records on merge. If you don't have appropriate permissions on BSAssets to submit new branches, let me know and I will fix that.

​To answer the first question, I didn't see a need to restrict the main branch unless it became a problem. Usually new members get confused with pushing to git so they send me files directly. Let us cover how to lock this and teach others to make their own branches?

As for the second question, there is DRM in the DLC which prevents directly copying some assets over into another ESP or ESM, so what that extra esp is, it's a patch to redirect our stuff over to the dragonborn assets. In particular, the ash assets wouldn't show correctly when wellpapp applied them when he was landscaping. Long story short: it's a compatibility patch with DLC02. Sadly, this cannot be merged as it would make DLC02 a master to Morrowind.esm

Also - a list of the required software for Levels 1 and 2. Please let me know if there is anything here you don't have or if you have any questions.

• The latest version of Skyrim and the Creation Kit
  • The latest version of BSTamriel and BSAssets
  • Git and Gitextensions or the GUI of your choice.
  • TES5Edit's latest version, including all scripts, especially Mathor the Eternal's merge script
  • A hex editor - I prefer HXD
  • A text editor - I prefer Sublime text. For now the base editor is fine, but there is a definitions package for Papyrus available that will be required for Level 3
  • A BSA packer/extractor. The base one that comes with Skyrim isn't ideal - I prefer BSAOpt.
  • Wrye Bash or another program that will allow you to alter your load order and .esmify .esp files.
  • :checkmark:
  • Will Nab those ASAP
  • I should have this, but I will triple check I have it all.
  • I should have this, if not then I have the hex edited Skyrim.esm saved to my pc. I will double check.
  • I should have Notepad ++
  • :checkmark: Fallout Mod Manager, and if this doesn't work I have either BSAopt or DDSopt.
Edited by Spectral Dragon

On second thought - lets make the DRM stuff part of the new contribution for you on Level 3.

One of the main reasons I recommend closing off the main branch on the Git to only the manager(s) of it is because it acts as the main file. If any member has access to it, it makes the control portion of version control a lot more difficult.

Locking the main branch is pretty straightforward. In the Gitlab.darkcreations.org setting menu, you should have yourself set as a Master. I believe I am too. The only people that should have Master status is members that are actively managing that main branch or members who are adding new members to the Git. Most of your regular members will have the Developer status, while people you wish to share the work with but aren't actively adding to a project (bug testers, for example) should have Reporter status. This is status is also commonly used on BSAssets as most members do not directly contribute to it.

Anyway, locking a branch can be done in Git Extensions, I believe. I don't have it on hand but I will try to get you a screen of the option.. Once the main branch is locked, new contributions should generally be added in a new Orphan Branch. This is a completely new branch with an empty file directory. I recommend doing this both for clarity and ease of merge into the main branch. Previously, Cyrodiil used to have members create new branches off the main, but as time goes on and new files are added/removed from the main branch, it becomes much more difficult for you as the manager to parse just what's going on.

• reaction_title_1 1

On second thought - lets make the DRM stuff part of the new contribution for you on Level 3.

One of the main reasons I recommend closing off the main branch on the Git to only the manager(s) of it is because it acts as the main file. If any member has access to it, it makes the control portion of version control a lot more difficult.

Locking the main branch is pretty straightforward. In the Gitlab.darkcreations.org setting menu, you should have yourself set as a Master. I believe I am too. The only people that should have Master status is members that are actively managing that main branch or members who are adding new members to the Git. Most of your regular members will have the Developer status, while people you wish to share the work with but aren't actively adding to a project (bug testers, for example) should have Reporter status. This is status is also commonly used on BSAssets as most members do not directly contribute to it.

Anyway, locking a branch can be done in Git Extensions, I believe. I don't have it on hand but I will try to get you a screen of the option.. Once the main branch is locked, new contributions should generally be added in a new Orphan Branch. This is a completely new branch with an empty file directory. I recommend doing this both for clarity and ease of merge into the main branch. Previously, Cyrodiil used to have members create new branches off the main, but as time goes on and new files are added/removed from the main branch, it becomes much more difficult for you as the manager to parse just what's going on.

If I am reading these settings correctly, the main branch is already set to protected.

Untitled-1.thumb.png.700511ab2dfd7c5e7e5

It has the usual amount of masters: Skyrim, BSTamriel, BSAssets. The Solstheim asset fix is an esp loaded after BSMorrowind.

I believe he is reffering to the locked dev branch not the esm. The answer to that is:

1. 1Shoed
  2. Spectral Dragon
  3. Amaduan
  4. Jack
  5. (I really should add Loopy_Cecil as he is a lead)
  • reaction_title_1 2

I would like to, but I want to take a look at it first. You mentioned there is DRM and there are a couple possible causes for that off the top of my head, If this was copied out of Dragonborn.esm - I think there may just be a Skyrim.esm or Update.esm form we may need to check out prior to merging.

Can you push it to BSAssets?

Could we move the Solstheim asset fix over to BSAssets btw? Southern Morrowind has a volcanic area I have learned and the ash stuff and some other things could be helpful.

It has morrowind as a master.

If this was copied out of Dragonborn.esm - I think there may just be a Skyrim.esm or Update.esm form we may need to check out prior to merging.

-snip-

It has morrowind as a master.

If anyone could get it in to BSAssets so we could use everything without the esp, it would be 1ShoedPunk, Spectral. ;)