Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Project ROCK

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I suggest taking a peek at Erik Christensen's excellent tutorial, Creating Rock Meshes based on Height Maps, that he generously shared on the TESrenewal/Skywind forums. While I know that not many DC modelers use Maya (nor Knald, probably) as their tools of choice, the principles can easily be reproduced in most current 3D software. And, at worst, if anyone sculpt a nice rock cliff but then would maybe be unsure about mimicking this tutorial in their tools of choice, I can do the grunt work for you (since I do have and use Maya and Knald myself) up to the point where you adjust (merge vertices and correct some UVs) the resulting texture displaced meshes. After that, you just have fun shaping the tilable meshes. Just pm me, in interested.

Edited by Percevan
1 person likes this

Posted

3dSMax is easy.

1. Create plane object with quite a few length and width segments
  2. Select Displace modifier
  3. Add heightmap
  4. Merge down
  5. Edit and UV the object per usual

It's very handy, because LOD meshes can be created quickly just by copying the object between step 3 and 4 and dropping the length/width segments down. At step 5 you can even take a mountain and cut it into cliffs.

3 people like this

Posted

Is there any interest in developing the plan beyond "make awesome rocks"? This thread could continue to be a place to post any work done on rock assets, but my feeling is it might be more productive overall for BS if it were to have some direction and concrete goals. Potentially, the thread could function as a way to channel collaborative efforts toward specific rock sets that are needed / requested by province teams. Opinions?

2 people like this

Posted

If you guys are taking requests, I have a big one in the form of unique assets for the Dragontail Mountains.

Here are the concept images I want to make them look like: 

main_photo.jpgsnow-dusted-flatirons-boulder-colorado-jdragon-tail-couloir-rocky-mountain-natio

The main reason I request new assets is that while they could be done with vanilla mountains, it'll look like more boring Skyrim mountains. These need to be steep and pointy. Canyons and peaks. 

6 people like this